Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing a Change to Job Feeds & Search Results to Support Top Rated Freelancers

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 220

As a way to help our top customers and clients find the right talent and jobs, we’re going to be running a test over the next few weeks that will change how jobs are displayed in job feeds and search results. The background behind this test stems from some common grievances we’ve heard from both clients and freelancers.

Clients tell us they are often overwhelmed by the large number of proposals they receive on their job post and it’s not efficient for them to use Upwork to contract freelancers. As a result, they end up not filling jobs and not using Upwork to hire freelancers. And, not surprisingly, when clients post jobs but never hire it’s frustrating to freelancers, who spend time and Connects submitting a proposal.

As a result of this feedback, we will begin running a test today that supports our Top Rated freelancers. Once a job has received a sufficient amount of proposals from Top Rated freelancers, it will no longer appear in freelancer job feeds and search results. This does not mean that only Top Rated can apply to these jobs. All freelancers (not just Top Rated ones) are welcome to apply to any jobs in their feed. Freelancers can still take the time they need to submit a strong proposal, and any freelancer who begins submitting a proposal to a job will be able to submit it.

While this perk is geared toward those with Top Rated status, we believe the test will help all freelancers have a better chance of winning contracts. Jobs that were already flooded with proposals will disappear from job feeds, giving freelancers the opportunity to focus on submitting proposals to jobs that have fewer applicants and not waste time (and Connects) submitting proposals for jobs they’re unlikely to win. Clients will also benefit by not having to sift through hundreds of proposals. If a client doesn’t find the right freelancer after reviewing the proposals they’ve received, they can invite freelancers directly to apply, or post their job as a Featured Job. This test will run until we have enough data to analyze results and determine if this improves the hiring experience of our clients and freelancers.

Untitled
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
2 of 220

@Lena E wrote:

As a way to help our top customers and clients find the right talent and jobs, we’re going to be running a test over the next few weeks that will change how jobs are displayed in job feeds and search results. The background behind this test stems from some common grievances we’ve heard from both clients and freelancers.

Clients tell us they are often overwhelmed by the large number of proposals they receive on their job post and it’s not efficient for them to use Upwork to contract freelancers. As a result, they end up not filling jobs and not using Upwork to hire freelancers. And, not surprisingly, when clients post jobs but never hire it’s frustrating to freelancers, who spend time and Connects submitting a proposal.

As a result of this feedback, we will begin running a test today that supports our Top Rated freelancers. Once a job has received a sufficient amount of proposals from Top Rated freelancers, it will no longer appear in freelancer job feeds and search results. This does not mean that only Top Rated can apply to these jobs. All freelancers (not just Top Rated ones) are welcome to apply to any jobs in their feed. Freelancers can still take the time they need to submit a strong proposal, and any freelancer who begins submitting a proposal to a job will be able to submit it.

What is a "sufficient amount of proposals"?

Who/what determines when the client has received enough proposals?

You write freelancers can still "take the time they need to submit a strong proposal" - how is that possible when there's some sort of cut-off line/time? Instead, people will rush to submit a proposal as quickly as possible to stand a chance to be able to apply at all.

How will this increase the quality of the proposals a client receives? What if the perfect candidate is the one that doesn't get to see the posting at all? And if the client doesn't find the perfect candidate they can only post the job again as a Featured Job --> meaning if they pay a fee? Or search for people themselves? 

I'm afraid I don't see how this is a 'perk' for TR freelancers.
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
3 of 220

So, this means that many freelancers will miss out on many potential jobs, simply because they are doing something important, like sleeping for instance. 

This test is meaningless if you don't define "a sufficient number of proposals", or at least include a line in the job posting that says something like- "Only (for argument's sake) 20 proposals are allowed for this job / 5 (for argument's sake) proposals can still be sent" 

I agree with Ela- this is not a perk unless the number of proposals allowed for jobs are known/defined.  

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 220

Top rated or not, my job feed is mostly less than useless and has been for months. I have given up complaining about it.

I have set myself as expert and yet I rarely see an expert level job (even if it is irrelevant to my skills) I only ever see jobs posted at entry level or intermediate (if I am lucky). Some jobs posted do require "expert" level, and their budgets are generally below the acceptable rate. 

I very much doubt that this will change for me. I am not making anything on Upwork. I just keep myself from being set to private (for the moment) by the odd job and the odd repeat client. I absolutely refuse to drop my prices to below what I started out on seven or eight years ago on oDesk. 

Ace Contributor
Ken W Member Since: Nov 17, 2017
5 of 220

set up and save a job search, with filters such as Expert, and what budgets to expect. 
Its easy. 

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
6 of 220

@Nichola L wrote:

Top rated or not, my job feed is mostly less than useless and has been for months. I have given up complaining about it.

I have set myself as expert and yet I rarely see an expert level job (even if it is irrelevant to my skills) I only ever see jobs posted at entry level or intermediate (if I am lucky). Some jobs posted do require "expert" level, and their budgets are generally below the acceptable rate. 

I very much doubt that this will change for me. I am not making anything on Upwork. I just keep myself from being set to private (for the moment) by the odd job and the odd repeat client. I absolutely refuse to drop my prices to below what I started out on seven or eight years ago on oDesk.  

Nichola, I am (truly) sorry you're experiencing this but also relieved because I thought it was just me and my rates. The quality of job posts has been abysmal for several months now - people are marking their jobs as $$$ for budgets that are insultingly cheap even in countries where the cost of living is low. Even worse, they're inviting me to apply for these so-called opportunities. What on earth has happened to the quality of clients (and their job posts) on this site??

VIJAY S Member Since: Nov 12, 2014
7 of 220

I agree with you, creating strong proposal takes time. Everybody will rush in such a situation and clients will not be able to get the right solution.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 220

@Lena E wrote:

While this perk is geared toward those with Top Rated status,

"This perk?"

This is a perk how, exactly?

And for whom?

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 220
2.1 RELATIONSHIP WITH UPWORK
Upwork merely makes the Site and Site Services available to enable Freelancers and Clients to find and transact directly with each other. Upwork does not introduce Freelancers to Clients, find Projects for Freelancers, or find Freelancers for Clients. Through the Site and Site Services, Freelancers may be notified of Clients that may be seeking the services they offer, and Clients may be notified of Freelancers that may offer the services they seek; at all times, however, Users are responsible for evaluating and determining the suitability of any Project, Client or Freelancer on their own. If Users decide to enter into a Service Contract, the Service Contract is directly between the Users and Upwork is not a party to that Service Contract.

Something that Upwork seems to repeatedly forget as to non-interference. I wish Upwork would simply improve its algorithm and job feed for top rated freelancers before it rolls out these non perks. I wish Upwork would stop panicking about its figures and start figuring out what is wrong with what exists, not with how much plaster to stick on wounds. 
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
10 of 220

@Nichola L wrote:
2.1 RELATIONSHIP WITH UPWORK
Upwork merely makes the Site and Site Services available to enable Freelancers and Clients to find and transact directly with each other. Upwork does not introduce Freelancers to Clients, find Projects for Freelancers, or find Freelancers for Clients. Through the Site and Site Services, Freelancers may be notified of Clients that may be seeking the services they offer, and Clients may be notified of Freelancers that may offer the services they seek; at all times, however, Users are responsible for evaluating and determining the suitability of any Project, Client or Freelancer on their own. If Users decide to enter into a Service Contract, the Service Contract is directly between the Users and Upwork is not a party to that Service Contract.

Something that Upwork seems to repeatedly forget as to non-interference. I wish Upwork would simply improve its algorithm and job feed for top rated freelancers before it rolls out these non perks. I wish Upwork would stop panicking about its figures and start figuring out what is wrong with what exists, not with how much plaster to stick on wounds. 

I'd be curious to know what this means in terms of the US-only jobs and the US-only defaults the occur on the client interface. That seems like a direct move to pre-determine suitability. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS