Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: Testing a Change to Job Feeds & Search Results to Support Top Rated Freelancers

Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
31 of 220

I just hope I get a "we'll share this with the team" on this one and please do so not only with the team but also with administration.

 

If this 2 tiered market thing René is writing about is true why don't you go ahead and do it properly? What I'd love to see is a fixed price paid membership for freelancers. $500 monthly fixed fee. That makes 5% of $10,000. Same amount of connects, 0% fee for all the earnings up to $500 (calculated with same percentages as before) and after that 10% for additional earnings regardless of total earnings with clients.

 

To be eligible for this paid membership you should have at least 75 JSS for 10 of last 12 months. (So you should be active on the site, new members are not eligable, etc.) Member freelancers can apply to all the jobs on the site but they will have exclusive jobs with minimum $50 fixed price and $35/hour hourly price.

 

For the clients who want to post jobs to this group, no payment will be taken like featured jobs. They should have a hiring rate of at least 60% if they posted more than 10 jobs and 70% if they posted less. Their job post will be visible only to the paid members.

Edit: No US only BS

 

You happy, we happy, clients happy; what else you want?  

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
32 of 220

@Baris A wrote:

 

 If this 2 tiered market thing René is writing about is true why don't you go ahead and do it properly? What I'd love to see is a fixed price paid membership for freelancers. $500 monthly fixed fee. That makes 5% of $10,000. Same amount of connects, 0% fee for all the earnings up to $500 (calculated with same percentages as before) and after that 10% for additional earnings regardless of total earnings with clients.

 

Let me see if I have this straight- are you seriously suggesting that a paid membership of the site should cost $500 per month? Have I got that right, or am I somehow misreading your post?  

 


 

Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
33 of 220

@Reinier B wrote:


 

Let me see if I have this straight- are you seriously suggesting that a paid membership of the site should cost $500 per month? Have I got that right, or am I somehow misreading your post?  

 


 


 Yes Sir. That's exactly what I suggest. $450 is ok too... But you won't pay any additional fees till the total of your due fee is $500. If you are already paying a monthly fee around that number the only difference is you will pay it at the start of the month and get exclusive rights to apply to high paying jobs.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
34 of 220

@Baris A wrote:

@Reinier B wrote:


 

Let me see if I have this straight- are you seriously suggesting that a paid membership of the site should cost $500 per month? Have I got that right, or am I somehow misreading your post?  

 


 


 Yes Sir. That's exactly what I suggest. $450 is ok too... But you won't pay any additional fees till the total of your due fee is $500. If you are already paying a monthly fee around that number the only difference is you will pay it at the start of the month and get exclusive rights to apply to high paying jobs.


 ___________________________

 

There's no way I could do that and I daresay there are a lot of other top-rated freelancers who would find a monthly fee of $500 pretty well impossible - particularly with the continuing trend for paying lowest rates and the segregation of qualified freelancers who, because of their location, are unable to bid for jobs. 

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
35 of 220

@Nichola L wrote:

@Baris A wrote:

@Reinier B wrote:


 

Let me see if I have this straight- are you seriously suggesting that a paid membership of the site should cost $500 per month? Have I got that right, or am I somehow misreading your post?  

 


 


 Yes Sir. That's exactly what I suggest. $450 is ok too... But you won't pay any additional fees till the total of your due fee is $500. If you are already paying a monthly fee around that number the only difference is you will pay it at the start of the month and get exclusive rights to apply to high paying jobs.


 ___________________________

 

There's no way I could do that and I daresay there are a lot of other top-rated freelancers who would find a monthly fee of $500 pretty well impossible - particularly with the continuing trend for paying lowest rates and the segregation of qualified freelancers who, because of their location, are unable to bid for jobs. 


 There is no way I would do that.

 

I have no problem with paying Upwork its cut, but there is no way I am going to pay $500 upfront in the hope that some well-paying jobs in my very narrow niche get posted, and of course, that I get all of them.

 

Well-paying jobs in my niche are getting scarcer as it is, and asking me to pay a lot of money in the hope that clients might post more of these jobs is just silly.

 

With some luck though, Baris' suggestion won't be shared with the team for their consideration. 

Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
36 of 220

@Reinier B wrote:



 

I have no problem with paying Upwork its cut, but there is no way I am going to pay $500 upfront in the hope that some well-paying jobs in my very narrow niche get posted, and of course, that I get all of them.

 

Well-paying jobs in my niche are getting scarcer as it is, and asking me to pay a lot of money in the hope that clients might post more of these jobs is just silly.

 

With some luck though, Baris' suggestion won't be shared with the team for their consideration. 


Reinier, $500 might be too high and as you said this might not work with narrow niches but it is a good way to stop circumvention and it is a good way to differentiate between top and bottom freelancers and clients.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
37 of 220

Yeah, absolutely not! I wouldn't pay $500 a month, that's crazy.

 

I expect to see all jobs and be able to bid just like I always have before they implemented all this nonsense (this "perk" and the us-only job stuff) 

 

It isn't every freelancer's problem that their are robot bidders everywhere here. If anything, they let too many freelancers on the site who can't even do the work right. It's time they started vetting them better than they have been. 

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
38 of 220

@Amanda F wrote:

Yeah, absolutely not! I wouldn't pay $500 a month, that's crazy.

 

I expect to see all jobs and be able to bid just like I always have before they implemented all this nonsense (this "perk" and the us-only job stuff) 

 

It isn't every freelancer's problem that their are robot bidders everywhere here. If anything, they let too many freelancers on the site who can't even do the work right.


I think that's the crux of the matter - the flood, every single day, of people who have no business running their own business is out of control. I know they have no business being here because of the (mostly) stupid questions they come to the forums with. Maybe they have a little skill, but if someone doesn't know the business aspect of freelancing and how to work with clients, they're not ready.

 

Either instigate a better process of vetting new profiles, or put a limit on the numbers you're accepting. How many is enough, Upwork? All it's doing is making harder for clients (those 50+ robo-bidders) and freelancers to connect. This "solution" seems asinine to me.

Active Member
Silvia K Member Since: Feb 2, 2018
39 of 220

Greetings,

 

Today is like only 20% of the normal job post amount are posted.

 

Only very few job posts appear in the Graphic design and Illustration and Logo sections. On 1st page they appear in every few minutes but on 2nd and 3rd and etc... in every few hours

 

Any idea? is it a system bug.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
40 of 220

Tomorrow is the Fourth of July - Independence Day.

 

The day we celebrate freelancing and being independent from going to a traditional workplace.

 

Many people are taking off early for vacation time.

 movie.jpg

 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS