cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Testing a Change to Job Feeds & Search Results to Support Top Rated Freelancers

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
41 of 220

Hi Silvia, Sanchit and Marian,

Preston shared a valid assumption since we've experienced historically that holidays in the US result in a decreased number of new jobs being posted on the platform but I'd like to note that the test Lena announced on this thread is one other possible reason.

We’re currently testing a change to job feeds and search results to benefit Top Rated freelancers. During this test, a job will no longer show in freelancer job feeds and search results once it has received a certain number of proposals from Top Rated freelancers.

As a result, you might see fewer jobs in your job feed or you may notice jobs not appearing as long as they normally would. This will allow you to focus on jobs we think you’ll have a higher chance of winning. Clients often tell us they are overwhelmed by the number of proposals they receive and, as a result, do not contract with any freelancers on Upwork at all.

Please check the opening post for more information and feel free to share your feedback. Thank you. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
42 of 220

@Vladimir G wrote: During this test, a job will no longer show in freelancer job feeds and search results once it has received a certain number of proposals from Top Rated freelancers.

Can you PLEASE explain how making sure I don't see a job anymore BENEFITS ME? (Hint: No amount of "spinning" makes it so.)

I can handle being slapped in the face by hiding all the US only jobs and now this new slap in the face, what I find REALLY hard to disgest is Upwork's attempt to sell me the fairy-tale that having LESS opportunities is a PERK and a BENEFIT.

The only people who will see this as a PERK are Robo-Bidders who have some street-urchin sit at their computer for a bowl of rice a day firing canned proposals at the poor clients in the first few minutes.

Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
43 of 220

Can you please tell me how this helps anyone? I don't see how! Clients will just have to keep reposting if they don't find the person they want. I get there are too many proposals in some jobs, but it's because you have overflooded this place with people who don't have a clue how to actually do the work. In fact, some of the freelancers beg the clients for jobs. A professional should never do that, and it just doesn't make sense to allow whoever wants to be here in the marketplace. 

This "perk" just penalizes the people who do take the time to make good proposals, work hard for their clients, and who consider what jobs are best for them to apply for. What is the point of getting so many proposals from top rated, taking it down, and then having the client repost the exact same job? I've seen some clients yesterday have their jobs renewed, and then they just made another job from 0 to start over. Even still, to stop good top rated freelancers from being able to bid while there are a nice few bids is not a good move. I have been hired for jobs that have had 50+ proposals in them before and they hired only me! I'm sure it happens to a lot of good freelancers whos portfolios and proposals stand out. Another LARGE issue with this is clients will now continuously doubt whether to hire someone or not, because they'll be told they can repost again and again as featured jobs. It's like giving a person way to many options to select from, and then telling them to try it all over again. Instead, they could be looking at all the proposals they have and declining what they don't like, and finding the best freelancers in the mix. I understand some people hate this, but why not just make it easier for them to sort through somehow? Why start all over again just to get another 50+ proposals from the beginning? And no, it isnt' only the holiday, it definitely is this "perk" because there are probably tons of clients who are not even aware that their jobs have to be restarted as a featured job or who are just not even going to bother to redo it again. So you are just repelling some of the clients who normally would eventually select someone. 

Basically the freelancers who are working hard at what they do and can't be here on upworks constantly refreshing the page will be hurt more than anyone. We have to keep tuning in to even have the chance to bid on anything...It doesn't help those who are actually professionals. 

This is similar to the US only initiative because you are limiting choices for clients by interferring with who can and when people can apply and it just makes no sense to do this on a global platform. Don't get me wrong, I love this site. It has helped me so much in making a lot extra so I can be a full time freelancer these days, but Upworks has lost so much of what it was when I came over from Elance. 

I also totally agree with Petra and said it before too. This move helps only the robot bidders or top rated freelancers who spam their proposals everywhere by copy and pasting and often are those who don't actually help the clients. 

Sanchit K Member Since: Feb 2, 2018
44 of 220

Hello all,
I am new on upwork and after few weeks i am accessing my upwork account. When i try to search new jobs, i only see jobs that are 12 hours old not the latest jobs that are been posted .

can anyone please help me with this . 

Thanks 

Marian H Member Since: Aug 24, 2017
46 of 220

Hello, is there a problem with upwork?

Only a few littles jobs are posted today. Usually 40-50 pages with jobs are posted in Graphic design section and today is like 10 pages only.

Usually for 1 hour like 5-6-7 pages are posted and now its almost nothing.

Any idea?

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
46 of 220

Baris, your suggested monthly fee is far too high. Upwork would need to have - and supply full documentation to back it up - at least 2 years worth of multiple thousands of awarded and paid jobs at profesional rates to ever justify a monthly fee of $100 - and certainly not $500.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
47 of 220

I think this whole initiative is a waste of time and money. 

I would never pay a monthly fee, as I use Upwork to supplement my retirement income and I have several clients off the platform who essentially double what I make on Upwork. (I've been TR every single month since it began.) I like UW with all its warts and flaws but this is just silly.

Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
48 of 220

I agree here with Wendy about the $500 a month suggestion. That is all around horrible. I would need to be guaranteed a certain monthly amount through here to even consider this at all which Upworks certainly can not do for me! It isn't google used in the right way by far or a big agency that can guarantee me work!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
49 of 220

@Baris A wrote:

@Reinier B wrote:

Let me see if I have this straight- are you seriously suggesting that a paid membership of the site should cost $500 per month? Have I got that right, or am I somehow misreading your post?  

Yes Sir. That's exactly what I suggest. $450 is ok too... But you won't pay any additional fees till the total of your due fee is $500. If you are already paying a monthly fee around that number the only difference is you will pay it at the start of the month and get exclusive rights to apply to high paying jobs.

Not so sure about all of those  other terms to your idea, but I would like to have the option of selecting a fixed fee every month instead of the 5, 10 and 20%. Kinda like clients; eiteher pay a % of every payment, or pay a higher fixed monthly fee. However, I think $300 should be enough. 

50 of 220

@Baris A wrote:

@Reinier B wrote:

Let me see if I have this straight- are you seriously suggesting that a paid membership of the site should cost $500 per month? Have I got that right, or am I somehow misreading your post?  

Yes Sir. That's exactly what I suggest. $450 is ok too... But you won't pay any additional fees till the total of your due fee is $500. If you are already paying a monthly fee around that number the only difference is you will pay it at the start of the month and get exclusive rights to apply to high paying jobs.

Is this some kind of joke? Now I see where Upwork gets its crazy ideas from - freelancers! Please don't suggest changes that could ruin people's livelihoods. I make most of my money through Upwork and am doing okay, but there's no way I'd be able to go on here if I had to pay $500 a month (or even half of that).

Seriously, please consider the damage you can do with suggestions like that. Upwork will grab such an opportunity to introduce your proposed system based on "user feedback"!!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS