cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Testing a Change to Job Feeds & Search Results to Support Top Rated Freelancers

Anirudh K Member Since: Nov 24, 2017
51 of 220

Man. Most of the freelancers do not even earn $500 in a month. Also, the job postings have gone down drastically. So, it is impossible to pay $500 upfront and hope to get the kind of job that will generate $500 upwork cut per month.

Bosko P Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
52 of 220

To me it just looks like behind this and some other initiatives there is an agenda to take advantage of any opportunity to milk the members.

In this case: You can re-list your job in job feed if you pay for the Featured job option. Otherwise search for freelancers manually.

Your profile has been set to private because of inactivity (where inactivity is based solely on fact if you have received any payments in a last month): You can upgrade to payed membership to avoid this.

Also comes to my mind when we were migrated to the UpWork, there was a lot of ask to make possible to set earnings to private (without making a profile private): Sure, a lot of people have asked for that, we listen to the community, you can have that option if you pay for membership.

Cat Frustrated

VIJAY S Member Since: Nov 12, 2014
53 of 220
I tried bidding whole day today and found that there was some serious problem happening with the job listings. Sometimes, its showing very old jobs (posted few hours ago) while sometimes its showing recent jobs(posted few minutes ago). I tried clearing my browser's cache too. (Chrome). Then I came to know about this new testing scenerio. As a top rated freelancer, I am not getting success till now. Yes, its good that Upwork wants to remove the jobs after certain number of applications but expert freelancers also understand the requirements and then customise their bids to gain visibility in client's eyes. All this process takes time and in the meantime, unwanted applications get flooded. So, how will upwork combat it?
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
54 of 220

Have any of the more experienced users noted that true to course, Upwork posted this thread prior to a holiday? 

I do wonder if they had hoped it would go unnoticed as it has massive negative impacts on Clients and FLers alike ... 

Highlighted
Bosko P Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
55 of 220

This is big thing indeed. 

For example I wonder what is the percentage of users that regulary check annoucements...

Community Guru
Renante V Member Since: Feb 7, 2018
56 of 220

Not.A.Perk!

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
57 of 220

@Bosko P wrote:

This is big thing indeed. 

For example I wonder what is the percentage of users that regulary check annoucements...

Not our lookout. Nor Upwork's. You snooze, you lose.

When Upwork starts fretting over this point, as they have in the past, they scatter announcements all over the place, and treat this channel as secondary. It's an improvement that they have come to treat it as the primary method of official communication, and to use it more frequently. 

Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
58 of 220

@Eve L wrote:

Why don't you just limit the amount of proposals from freelansers that are not TR, and after that point only let TR freelancers apply? In my opinion that would be a way better system, and a real TR perk that would actually mean something.

IMNSVHOTNPCA*, this is the best suggestion in the thread:

1. TRs are generally experienced freelancers who spend more time working and less time scanning listings. The proposed system locks out the very people that most clients want. Eve's change would fix that.

2. It allows TRs to continue focusing on working without having to worry about missing out on opportunities, which means Upwork makes more money.

3. It raises the average quality of bids a client receives over time, since every new bid increases the percentage from TRs, which is better for clients.

4. It's a legitimate perk, where the system currently described is not.

* In my not-so-very humble opinion that nobody probably cares about

Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
59 of 220

Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but my understanding of the above is that TR bids are limited after a certain number? So effectively TR people are penalised and that those who keep their score low enough can apply to more projects? 

That hurts my brain.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
60 of 220

@Kim F wrote:

Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but my understanding of the above is that TR bids are limited after a certain number? So effectively TR people are penalised and that those who keep their score low enough can apply to more projects? 

That hurts my brain.

This is not how it works. As Lena wrote: "Once a job has received a sufficient amount of proposals from Top Rated freelancers, it will no longer appear in freelancer job feeds and search results."

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS