cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Testing a Change to Job Feeds & Search Results to Support Top Rated Freelancers

Community Guru
Muhammad I Member Since: Dec 19, 2015
71 of 220

Fully agreed with you Wendy you.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
72 of 220

Muhammad, eLance had this: "new featured proposal if you want to stay up in the line in the client dashboard than charge 3 connects extra and allow max 3 to 4 proposal per profile as a featured proposal."

A bunch of us did an unofficial survey/tracking to determine if it was worth it from the FLer angle. 

Result: Not worth a sou.  Placement meant zero / nada to the buyer. Our "results' were confirmed by numerous clients in all genres.

Community Guru
73 of 220

The reduction in the connects is the best possible solutions at the moment I think.

Bosko P Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
74 of 220

Connects are primary resource that enable us to apply to jobs. If people are flooding jobs with spam or inadequate applications that means they are throwing this resource around and not acknowledging its value.

Currently connects are abundant. Personally I have never run out of them and I was always able to land enough jobs. We need to bring back value to connects, to give initiative to the people so they use them smartly. By this I don't mean to make them scarce, but to intelligently balance number of freely available connects with some other rules or initiatives and with pricing of additional connects. This could also make payed membership a logical option again.

Currently imposed system is a BRUTE FORCE solution that addresses consequence of the much deeper issue. 

C'mon UpWork you can do better!

Community Guru
75 of 220

I agree with you that currently connects are abundant.   Upwork needs to do something at the moment if they didn't take action ASAP I am afraid they may lose very good clients.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
76 of 220

I agree that by cutting the amount of free connects, Upwork would suffocate robot-bidders. The move would, however, spark a total outrage.

I still think that it would do more good than harm at the end of the day.

And also if Upwork could stop accepting everybody and their unskilled cousin.

Oh, and one last thing. If Upwork could (really) do something against fake profiles. Like in: Fake Chinese Freelancers

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
77 of 220

I agree, but if you pay for membership like I am doing I think you should get the connects you do now or slightly more than the people who get them free along with still allowing them to move to the next month, otherwise the membership is useless(though right now there are no jobs because of the US only and this pretty much). 

I pay to build mine up in case I find a lot of good opporunities. It's not the best right now, but sometimes it really is nice to have them. I do have too many though atm but I don't go blow them like crazy, I spend them on jobs that look excellent. Connects are great if you use them wisely and I agree that many people don't, but there is also the major issue of so many clients not hiring anyone and just abandoning their jobs. 

Bosko P Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
78 of 220

@Rene K wrote:

The move would, however, spark a total outrage.

Yes, most likely it would. But UW had no problem dealing with outrage caused by increasing fee from 10 to 20%

They could leave number of freely available connects as is and increase price of applying to jobs to 4 connects - same effect as cutting number of available connects by 50% - possibilities are endless Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
79 of 220

Moderators, you need to do a better job explaining how this is a "perk" for Top Rated freelancers. Certain jobs still get flooded in the first hours of posting by unlimited numbers of bots and spam proposals, but then you remove jobs from view for everyone once a certain, secret number of Top Rated freelancers apply?

Top Rated freelancers who know what they're doing on this platform don't apply for those flooded, usually low-budget jobs. Predicted result: more spam for clients and even fewer legitimate jobs for experienced freelancers.

If you want to improve the quality over quantity of job proposals, you need to improve the baseline for what jobs are posted, and overall quality standards for freelancers as well.

• Raise the minimum hourly charge to at least $10, and the minimum fixed-price budget to at least $100.
  • Improve the Top Rated program so that the badge actually means something - or institute another level to reward truly exceptional freelancers instead of just those who know how to work the ratings system.
  • At the very least, limit the number of free connects for everyone.

And I'll scream this into the void once more: maybe try listening to the people who actually WORK on this platform instead of throwing terrible idea after terrible idea at the wall, hoping something sticks, then doubling down when we users point out very obvious problems.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
80 of 220

@Jess C wrote:

And I'll scream this into the void once more: maybe try listening to the people who actually WORK on this platform instead of throwing terrible idea after terrible idea at the wall, hoping something sticks, then doubling down when we users point out very obvious problems.

YES!!

Agree with everything Jess said, except I think a $100 minimum for fixed-price jobs is a bit too high, especially for small projects or tasks that just require an hour's work from the freelancer.

But in general, increasing the hourly and fixed-price mininum rates is something that Upwork seriously needs to consider, especially since it seems the site's increasingly getting a rep for cheap clients and their cheap jobs.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS