cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Testing a Change to Job Feeds & Search Results to Support Top Rated Freelancers

Community Guru
Muhammad I Member Since: Dec 19, 2015
81 of 220

But you all guys are missing one important thing, these cheap small jobs and clients are more fruitful for the upwork due to 20%, heck they don't care about the freelancers which are providing some quality services they are only looking for a lot of cheap small jobs with more return in %.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
82 of 220

@Muhammad I wrote:

But you all guys are missing one important thing, these cheap small jobs and clients are more fruitful for the upwork due to 20%, heck they don't care about the freelancers which are providing some quality services they are only looking for a lot of cheap small jobs with more return in %.

I totally disagree. These jobs are actually very costly. They bring little and may cost a lot in maintenance. It's a basic rule in business: better send few bills of larger amount than many bills of tiny value.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
83 of 220

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

YES!!

Agree with everything Jess said, except I think a $100 minimum for fixed-price jobs is a bit too high, especially for small projects or tasks that just require an hour's work from the freelancer.

But in general, increasing the hourly and fixed-price mininum rates is something that Upwork seriously needs to consider, especially since it seems the site's increasingly getting a rep for cheap clients and their cheap jobs.

Perhaps there could be a separate tier for those tiny projects, but I personally ignore them unless it's an invitation from a current/past client for an update or something. Trying to build a business off of even $50 jobs just isn't effective.

In general, Upwork doesn't seem to acknowledge that the spam problem is on both sides. There are far too many cheap clients, and there are far too many cheap freelancers. Just read the subject lines on the posts in the Community, and it's easy to diagnose. Both legitimate clients and legitimate freelancers are having more and more trouble finding each other through the static - and both are leaving the platform in droves, which increases the static even more. I don't see any way this new "initiative" to hide job posts will improve anything.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
84 of 220

It seems I was lucky.

I just sent off a proposal to a job in my niche that already had 5-10 proposals, so who knows at what point (# of proposals submitted to that job) a job will be pulled. Then again, this client posted the job from the USA around his midnight, which might have something to do with it still being up. Great going, Upwork!  

Ace Contributor
Linda B Member Since: Oct 13, 2015
85 of 220

These are my experience as a freelancer who works consistently on Upwork. 

Rarely do I use all of my connects (I have 56 to use in the next 6 days).

Since I am working a lot I check the job board 2-4 times a week for jobs that fit what I do.

When I find the right match I apply regardless of how many other proposals they have. Most of my clients choose me because I am the right fit for their job and make that clear in the proposal.

Often I have applied for and gotten jobs posted days ago with more than 50 applicants, it is not rare for me. One of my current clients said he picked me out of more than 100 and I was no where near the first to apply.

I can see it would be frustrating for clients to weed through 100's of applicants and for some it might be too intimidating especially if there are a lot of proposals that clearly don't fit.

However limiting the amount of proposals keeps people who specialize in specific areas from finding jobs because we are working, not watching the job board.

This is also detrimental to the client because they are not getting proposals from people who will do the job best but instead from those who apply first (unless I am misunderstanding something). 

Yesterday I got email notification about a job I might be insterested in and it was a perfect fit. I was very interested. But by the time I went to apply it was no longer there. Not a huge deal, I have plenty of work at the moment but I do wonder about how beneficial this will be moving forward.

I appreciate that you are trying to streamline the process for clients to find a qualified candidate but it might be better to focus on how to qualify a candidate for a client instead of focusing on numbers?

Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
86 of 220

Linda is right in a lot of ways, and I said the same thing. I have gotten jobs from clients who had 50+ proposals to select from plenty of times. It did take them a few days to a week, but they did interview me once they found my proposals. This happens with a lot of the freelancers who stand out well. I think they need to make the UI/UX better for the client. Though I can't see it, I assume it makes it difficult to sort through if they have to bring this up in some way and are fustrated with the amount of proposals they have. Either that, or the clients who don't like it need to be educated better on how to utilize the current setup. 

Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
87 of 220

You will get angry with me again but how about "0" free connects? All connects cost $1 and we all should pay to apply. How is this better than the present? No one will apply to $5 jobs, no robot bids, etc...

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
88 of 220

@Baris A wrote:

You will get angry with me again but how about "0" free connects? All connects cost $1 and we all should pay to apply. How is this better than the present? No one will apply to $5 jobs, no robot bids, etc...

I think you're just trying to stir up trouble here. And it's weird you'd come up with stuff like this and the $500 fee - because looking at your work history, it seems, like me, as though you're not **Edited for community guidelines**

Like others have suggested, reducing connects for newbies and non-TRs makes more sense.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
89 of 220

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

@Baris A wrote:

I think you're just trying to stir up trouble here. And it's weird you'd come up with stuff like this and the $500 fee - because looking at your work history, it seems, like me, as though you're not **Edited for community guidelines**

Like others have suggested, reducing connects for newbies and non-TRs makes more sense.

Posting this again because my previous post disappeared / was deleted. I don't understand why my post (quoted above) was edited - I wasn't trying to insult Baris by saying he doesn't seem like one of the high earners, as I said the same of myself ("like me"). Can a mod please clarify why that part of my post was removed?

Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
90 of 220

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

@Baris A wrote:

I think, like you, I am not one of the high earners. At the moment I earn enough. I don't think stating that is an insult so no bad feelings Isabelle AA. Giving no free connects would get rid of lots of wannabe freelancers as well as generic applications. It might even increase the number of quality clients. I have the potential but I'm holding myself back in a lot of threads; you can be sure about it. That was not me trying to stir trouble.

Some fixed fee on the other hand (yes I know $500 is too high) would help form a high tier. On March and April I paid $499 in fees which makes $250 per month. It is lower after that along with my earnings but if there was a fixed fee to be paid at the start of every month I would try to see how it goes. That also was not an attempt to stir trouble. Just wanted to clarify.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS