cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Testing a Change to Job Feeds & Search Results to Support Top Rated Freelancers

Denis N Member Since: Apr 21, 2016
181 of 220

I work on Upwork 3 years and honestly I don't understand why Upwork's problem "auto bidders" and "copypasters" should affect my work process.

I often see 50+ proposals on the good jobs with high budgets, and it doesn't stop me to make a bid. I always write detailed and personalized proposal where I describe how I plan to solve client's problem. I wanna say I often win the project and even win when a client has an interview with other candidates because I can suggest a solution and my experience to the client. It means the client has a choice. 

What I see now... I see that client will get some proposals from "auto bidders" and "copypasters", because they always make 10-15 bids in 5 minutes after job posting. Also, the client will get a few messages from Top Rated freelancers. It's won't be detailed proposals because all should afraid to skip his queue., something like "Hello sir, I have a lot of experience with all things! Just send me an interview and we will discuss more details". 

Of course, the client won't see true Top freelancers because they never look to job feed all time and wait. They work and solve client problems. The client doesn't get good suggestions and he is more unhappy then client with 100 proposals. Also, a freelancer is unhappy too can't send proposal because other guys with "two words caver letters" have sent them.

The client has one way to hire true Top freelancers. He should pay for posting job as "featured". I seem it's the main goal of this idea. Upwork wants to make more money Smiley Happy

Thank you.

Community Guru
Maria C Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
182 of 220

Clients can still repost their offers, but this is a big burden to them. Really, I just cannot see the benefits of this measure for clients or Upwork. If there is problem of spammers, there are much better ways to solve it. 

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
183 of 220

This very unfriendly to clients (buyers and freelancers) has one positive aspect.   However, it has an aspect that is not favorable for Upwork's bottom line ... and management seems to have never considered that possibility.

Fact 1: Reality Check > None of us can afford to spend the time needed to stay abreast of current job postings as we are doing work for clients.

Fact 2: I do not know of a single TR professional who has not considerably amped up his/her self-marketing venues as a result of this nonsensical exercise.  Rather than spend time playing this game, what free time we do have has been redirected to self-marketing and developing new venues for business growth

Community Guru
Tracye G Member Since: Sep 30, 2008
184 of 220

Wendy nailed it!!!!
"Fact 2: I do not know of a single TR professional who has not considerably amped up his/her self-marketing venues as a result of this nonsensical exercise.  Rather than spend time playing this game, what free time we do have has been redirected to self-marketing and developing new venues for business growth"

My self marketing is starting to see results! :-) 100% of my free time is spent self-marketing now, not hanging out on the dismal excuse for a job feed.

You "geniuses" in management and on the "team" do not get it as usual...once you run the clients off and you will, and you run your top rated freelancers off and you are, this platform will be nothing but low budget clients and low performing freelancers.

Highlighted
Ravichandran J Member Since: May 11, 2013
185 of 220
Responding to the algorithms part, LinkedIn has a simple algorithm that displays the match % based on the skills required for the job, as listed by the job poster, and the candidate's skills.

It is so simple that it cannot even be called an algorithm because all that needs to be done is to seek the "Skills required for this job" from the job poster, save it into a data store and retrieve it to match with the skills in the contractor's profile (the user profile currently doesn't have the skills to be input as separate tags or fields, the contractor simply inputs skills as running text) and display it for the client in the order of preference - most, least or medium matched skillset.
Ilia D Member Since: Feb 14, 2018
186 of 220

Hi there!

Why should we choose only from what's left? If during the day we were busy working with other Upwork clients, then in the evening there is no possibility to choose projects. Perhaps, really interesting projects that are simply hidden from the search. And we need to look through the job feed again and again, wasting time and waiting for a new, fresh project. And if the work does not appear? The number of works really decreased. And in order to earn money, I have to choose from the remnants to which few people want to write proposals, to work with a low budget, or I need to wait for a new job 24 hours a day.  This is not fair.

On the other side, if before the client could really choose someone, even from 50+ applications, where there are quality cover letters, now all freelancers will need to work at speed. The client will suffer even more than from 100+ proposals, getting more and more applications with the text "I'm ready to do the work." And that's all.

What is the plus of this to freelancers and what is the plus to the clients? I really don't see them...

Ilia D Member Since: Feb 14, 2018
187 of 220

What's going on? I saw interesting work through the mobile application. I opened the work from the computer to answer faster, but the work is already hidden from the search:

This job is private.
Only freelancers this client has invited can access this job post.

Please go to our home page.

The work was published (attention) 10 minutes ago and had from 20 to 50 proposals. What? Upwork, are you serious? Smiley Mad
So many people managed to write a quality cover letters? I don't think so... Smiley Frustrated
I repeat, you don't leave a choice to freelancers to choose a job. Is this fair? 

Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
188 of 220

@Ilia D wrote:

What's going on? I saw interesting work through the mobile application. I opened the work from the computer to answer faster, but the work is already hidden from the search:

This job is private.

The work was published (attention) 10 minutes ago and had from 20 to 50 proposals. What? Upwork, are you serious? Smiley Mad
So many people managed to write a quality cover letters? I don't think so... Smiley Frustrated
I repeat, you don't leave a choice to freelancers to choose a job. Is this fair? 

Ilia, this is from the help pages:

How do I stop more freelancers from submitting proposals?

You can stop more freelancers from submitting proposals for your job by changing the visibility or by closing it entirely. If you don't plan to hire any (or any more) freelancers for your job, please close it. You can always come back and repost it later.

To change your job to private:

1. Click the Jobs tab.
  2. Locate the job you want in your Open Jobs and click Make Private in the Actions menu.

To close your job:

1. Click the Jobs tab, and then select View Post for the job you want to close.
  2. Click the Close job link at the top of the page, and follow the instructions.

Please note: When you change a job’s visibility it may still be accessible to some users who had bookmarked it in their browsers or whose feed readers already downloaded it. Or, it may still be visible if you allowed search engines to access it when you first posted the job as public. It takes about a day (and sometimes up to a week) for search engines to re-index so that it no longer appears in their results.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
189 of 220

@Baris A wrote:

@Ilia D wrote:

This job is private.

Ilia, this is from the help pages:

How do I stop more freelancers from submitting proposals?

You can stop more freelancers from submitting proposals for your job by changing the visibility or by closing it entirely. If you don't plan to hire any (or any more) freelancers for your job, please close it. You can always come back and repost it later.

To change your job to private:

1. Click the Jobs tab.
  2. Locate the job you want in your Open Jobs and click Make Private in the Actions menu.

To close your job:

1. Click the Jobs tab, and then select View Post for the job you want to close.
  2. Click the Close job link at the top of the page, and follow the instructions.

Please note: When you change a job’s visibility it may still be accessible to some users who had bookmarked it in their browsers or whose feed readers already downloaded it. Or, it may still be visible if you allowed search engines to access it when you first posted the job as public. It takes about a day (and sometimes up to a week) for search engines to re-index so that it no longer appears in their results.

Can a client do this after he or she has received multiple replies? 

Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
190 of 220

Can a client do this after he or she has received multiple replies? 

Help page says they can. Maybe a mod would be so kind to confirm.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS