Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing a Change to Job Feeds & Search Results to Support Top Rated Freelancers

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
61 of 220

@Rene K wrote:

@Kim F wrote:

Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but my understanding of the above is that TR bids are limited after a certain number? So effectively TR people are penalised and that those who keep their score low enough can apply to more projects? 

That hurts my brain.

This is not how it works. As Lena wrote: "Once a job has received a sufficient amount of proposals from Top Rated freelancers, it will no longer appear in freelancer job feeds and search results."

OK, not exactly. But close enough. As your quote spells out: Once x (=unknown) TR freelancers apply, the listing goes poof—for everyone, including TR freelancers.

Prior to that, any input-capable-entity can rush to the head of the line while many of us Top Rateds take the time to analyze the prospects' needs and submit a proper proposal, working against a proposal limit that is in effect an arbitrary deadline imposed by Upwork.

Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
62 of 220

I still think either way is not a good idea, but the better way from both are what Eve and Charles mentioned. I am a firm believer that people starting out who do well and are experienced should have a chance, and also that the people who are down on their luck with a few pretty bad clients who go below 90% deserve to be able to recover from that. The JSS is too shaky when you don't have a lot of jobs under your belt. Most of the really excellent top rated freelancers can maintain above 90% though. 

So far I am finding the test pointless though. Many of the jobs are just being renewed and have the 50+ proposls, so it is almost like they never even left the job feed but are now featured proposals or removed and restarted without making them featured proposals. I guess some clients found how to get around having to make it a featured one by just starting the whole job post over from 0. 

Perhaps there could be better education for clients on how to manage many proposals, or a better interface for them to do so. I'm not a client so I don't even know how it works currently for them. 

VIJAY S Member Since: Nov 12, 2014
63 of 220

Hi! I am sorry but this new change is not helping me. I have been sitting whole day and night. New jobs occur after every one hour or so. This will impact badly to all freelancers and agencies like us. I request you to please restore the earlier version. I am worried I will have to leave freelancing in this manner and many companies who are running because of Upwork will shut down soon.

Community Guru
Renante V Member Since: Feb 7, 2018
64 of 220

In 5 hours, my feed came up with less than 15 new jobs. Normally it would be 30+.

How is this perk helping the TR freelancers again?

Bosko P Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
65 of 220

To Upwork, as mentioned here number of times flaws of this system overshadow any potential benefits. Can you elaborate on what information have you based your decision? Why is this the best solution?

For example you could cut total amount of connects available to the freelancers. This would definitely cut down number of applications, plus it would make freelancers rethink how they spend their connects (i.e. they would spend them on jobs that are more fit for their skills)

Additionally you can create system where freelancers need to chose categories in which they wish to work (to reduce amount of cross-category applying). So for example pick two categories and if you wish to apply outside these categories charge more connects. Further brake most crowded categories into sub-categories and make additional connects available for purchase at any time, so if anyone feels that the job good fit they can always get needed connects.

This is rough idea, something along these lines.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
66 of 220

@Bosko P wrote:

Additionally you can create system where freelancers need to chose categories in which they wish to work

Like on the former Elance. I think it's a good idea.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
67 of 220

@Rene K wrote:

@Bosko P wrote:

Additionally you can create system where freelancers need to chose categories in which they wish to work

It's good idea for some. It's a very bad idea for polymaths like myself, especially given that clients often miscategorize their projects.

Bosko P Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
68 of 220

@Charles K wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

@Bosko P wrote:

It's good idea for some. It's a very bad idea for polymaths like myself, especially given that clients often miscategorize their projects.

Sure, but what if you are still allowed to bid outside selected categories just at higher price (lets say 3 connects) Additional Initiative could be made that if you score a job outside your categories you get refunded one connect, so at the end you are even.

Only problem could be if clients are constantly miscategorizing jobs all over the place. So in essence UW would need to run thorough study to see what is the percentage of jobs that get wrongly categorized and how, then to determinate if there is a way to make this or similar system work. I mean they do have means to do that and to me it makes more sense that current "disappearing job system"

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
69 of 220

I'm fully in favor of cutting the number of connects - suggest doing so by 50%.

Community Guru
Muhammad I Member Since: Dec 19, 2015
70 of 220

Reduce the connects to 20 or 25 for freelancers with freemium membership and 40 or 50 for the premium freelancers.

Introduce new featured proposal if you want to stay up in the line in the client dashboard than charge 3 connects extra and allow max 3 to 4 proposal per profile as a featured proposal.

You have to give some extra choices to freelancers so they use the connects very wisely and in this way, the system won't be flooded too much as it is right now.