cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing a Change to Job Feeds & Search Results to Support Top Rated Freelancers

Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
111 of 220

Yeah and in addition to what Tracye says, I am also seeing clients just reposting the same jobs over and over again and not as featured ones. They are just starting from scratch and getting bids all over again and it's just rinse and repeating and not giving those who are not constantly looking at the job feed time to bid. Those of us who are working and only check in when we can. At the very least I am seeing much less posted jobs now, and it was bad enough when they made the US only change. So not only is it tedious to freelancers, it is also bad for clients because they have to continuously repost their jobs. 

Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
112 of 220

@Lena E wrote:
All freelancers (not just Top Rated ones) are welcome to apply to any jobs in their feed.

I think one of the reasons it’s not efficient for clients to use Upwork to contract freelancers is because anyone can submit a proposal, and as others pointed there are a few filters and means to automatically shortlist candidates.

Why isn't implemented a solution for clients to post jobs with criterias that are preferable or mandatory? If the client is interested in Top Rated freelancers and makes it mandatory, don't allow any not TP freelancer to submit proposal. If the client makes it mandatory to have at least x jobs completed, or x hours ... don't allow anyone who doesn't meet the mandatory criteria to submit proposal... and so on. If the client selects preferable then anyone can submit proposal.

The client won't have to  "sift through hundreds of proposals" ... the freelancers will "not waste time (and Connects)  submitting proposals for jobs they’re unlikely to win".

Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
113 of 220

@Claudia Z wrote:

@Lena E wrote:
All freelancers (not just Top Rated ones) are welcome to apply to any jobs in their feed.

I think one of the reasons it’s not efficient for clients to use Upwork to contract freelancers is because anyone can submit a proposal, and as others pointed there are a few filters and means to automatically shortlist candidates.

Why isn't implemented a solution for clients to post jobs with criterias that are preferable or mandatory? If the client is interested in Top Rated freelancers and makes it mandatory, don't allow any not TP freelancer to submit proposal. If the client makes it mandatory to have at least x jobs completed, or x hours ... don't allow anyone who doesn't meet the mandatory criteria to submit proposal... and so on. If the client selects preferable then anyone can submit proposal.

The client won't have to  "sift through hundreds of proposals" ... the freelancers will "not waste time (and Connects)  submitting proposals for jobs they’re unlikely to win".

This is a bad idea IMO. Most client don't know how to use the site (I'm not saying they don't know what they are doing, no) I've won graphic jobs posted for programming or writing skills, I even won a couple jobs posted "for US Veterans only". In addition, what you say would be unfair to new starters.

There's an option for clients to checkmark rising talent. When they mark that option TR don't fit the preference. Do you think they want that? I don't think so but maybe that's so.

And UW should stop US only jobs. They won't but I'll keep saying that.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
114 of 220

Lena E wrote:

The problem is that the jobs in my feed are generally so inappropriate or badly paid that, as a top-rated freelancer, I have no wish to apply for them at all.

I would be happy to share my job feed with any entry-level freelancer  and they would be welcome to try their luck. They probably would be lucky too, because the jobs can range from transcription to web development. Come to think of it, I may even sell my job feed . . . 

Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
115 of 220

It's surely not just a matter of numbers but directing people to the right project posts? 

Clearly marking expert and entry level projects would help.  If you could scan the job feed and look for the (for example) little gold star that heralded expert projects (or conversely the blue one for entry level), the chances of a post reaching their target would be increased.

And although it's been said a thousand times, the option of a no set budget post would save having to check those listed at $5 to see if it was just a placeholder.

Clearer categories are also essential from this perspective. For example, no-one seems to have worked out whether book layout is a writing project or a graphic design project. It should be a sub group of something.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
116 of 220

@Kim F wrote:

And although it's been said a thousand times, the option of a no set budget post would save having to check those listed at $5 to see if it was just a placeholder.

This!

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
117 of 220

@Baris A wrote:

This is a bad idea IMO. Most client don't know how to use the site (I'm not saying they don't know what they are doing, no) I've won graphic jobs posted for programming or writing skills, I even won a couple jobs posted "for US Veterans only". In addition, what you say would be unfair to new starters.

I think clients know, figure out eventually how to use the website but the site lacks more advanced candidate management tools.

Upwork tends to treat clients like babies ... I will feed you carrots and broccoli because that's healthy, you can't have too much salt cause that's not healthy.

Even if a client receives only 5 proposals from very qualified freelancers, he will think that only 5 candidates it's not enough, there must be more to choose from. But they also want ways to easily filter and shortlist candidates.

Current options are just preferences without restriction, except the US only options clients can't mark others as required.

As it is now it's unfair to TP freelancers ... there can be 100 non TP freelancers submitting proposals while the number of TP proposals are limited. Upwork claims this is meant to help TP freelancers huh. 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
118 of 220

@Claudia Z wrote:

Why isn't implemented a solution for clients to post jobs with criterias that are preferable or mandatory? If the client is interested in Top Rated freelancers and makes it mandatory, don't allow any not TP freelancer to submit proposal. If the client makes it mandatory to have at least x jobs completed, or x hours ... 

A very bad idea, and I'm saying this from a client perspective too. I hired a newcomer lost in a sea of Top Rated. Clients don't know who is gonna to apply and there are very good fits across all these criteria. If you give clients selectors, they will use them randomly and they will miss fantastic hiring opportunities.

What I want as a client is a reasonable amount of proposals, so I don't need to spend a day browsing through them. What I absolutely don't want and what I'm absolutely getting is long copy/pasted proposals that are telling me everything about the freelancer's life and their dog's and nothing about what they can do for me.

Since I don't have an open job right now, I don't remember if they have a button to mark a proposal as a spam. I think this is an idea to explore. Maybe there should be a flag to mark a proposal as being not tailored to the job posting and Upwork could use this feedback to evaluate how efficient freelancers' proposals are.

It's tricky. Everything algorithmic is tricky. Clients can make quick assumptions. But one of the main issues that I see is copy/pasted proposals. People have zero idea how well one stands out with a tailored proposal.

I agree that some job posts are simply calling for copy/pasted proposals, as unspecific as they are. But I don't post such jobs and I'm still getting spams.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
119 of 220

@Rene K wrote:

. If you give clients selectors, they will use them randomly and they will miss fantastic hiring opportunities.

Probably true but only if you have the impression that clients on site are so stupid to be able to make decisions.

If a client is open to accept a newcomer he will not mark that preference as required, do not miss fantastic hiring opportunities. If the client wants "ANY" freelancer to apply to his job then this is an action/responsibility taken by the client, not restricted or limited by Upwork.

I think it will benefit more the newcommers because they will focus on jobs that they truly stand a chance to get.

Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
120 of 220

It's not stupidity, but it may be ignorance.

I have very few hourly projects on my profile.  I have, however, bid for and won hourly projects on a fixed price basis. So I'd be excluded from (for example) projects that demanded 100 hours.  I can't see how that would help anyone.

Plus, as has been noted again and again, the majority of the clients accept the default setting, sometimes believing that Upwork knows best.