cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing a Change to Job Feeds & Search Results to Support Top Rated Freelancers

Community Guru
Tracye G Member Since: Sep 30, 2008
11 of 220

You people are insane!!! Just who do you think this is going to benefit???? Let me make it easy and answer that for you...NO ONE!

Let me guess, the "number of top rated proposals before, POOF, gone" is going to be super duper secret because the "team" cannot share those details!

When are you people going to STOP looking for ways to make working on this platform untenable???  STOP insulting us with the "it is a perk" LIE! That is NOT a perk!

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
12 of 220

Lena, as Petra observed, this is not a perk for top rated freelancers. The reason? There's a limit to the number of top rated freelancers who can see a job and therefore send a proposal, but until that limit is reached, there's no limit whatsoever to the number of other freelancers who can send proposals. Thus, clients can still see a huge number of proposals, as long as they're not from top rated freelancers, and they're sent before a sufficient number of top rated freelancers have done so.

13 of 220

I also feel this is not a good idea. It's hard enough now to get decent jobs coming up in the feeds, and I only look for jobs that pay the rate I want. There are top-rated freelancers who make really generic proposals that they copy and paste, and they just post it really quickly. They don't listen to the client's needs at all! I've even had some clients say to me, "I am going to show you some other proposals, they are a joke" because they stuck them up quickly and didn't edit them. So now the client will only get a selection of the people who bid first and top rated ones who do the same stuff all the time!

What's up with the whole renewal thing? It looks terrible, the posts are saying they hired someone and it's super confusing if they have someone or not because it's still open and says renewed!

To me as a freelancer, making a custom proposal as much as I can and taking a little time to write it really makes the difference in getting hired and then ovbiously spending the time on the job to make it good quality is equally important. So now, I have to rush to make sure I can get my proposal in because the job will just disappear once there are so many proposals? It also means I have to be here at all times refreshing the page to find work, and I honestly can't do that all the time because I am working to make good quality work for my clients!

This doesn't make any sense, just like the US only stuff. You are making it harder for good freelancers to get good freelance jobs here! Especially for those who are not in the US! The platform is completely unbalanced with the way you are setting up these "perks". 

I also want to add, I totally disagree with you saying that it unlikely you can win a job that has a lot of proposals. I have won jobs plenty of times that had 50+ proposals and didn't put my bid in until it was up to 20 or so. 

Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
14 of 220

I am not top rated and I use this site maybe few months a year, so I guess it might be interpreted as sour grapes... But this is stupid honestly because you just reward fastest responders *and usually people who sit next to their PC 24 hours a day screening job feed don't have anything else to do because they are not sought elsewhere. I don't see how you help clients by limiting their choice and making them repost and renew their ads. Many clients actually like to take their time. If they have 100+ candidates, that is because they left their job post open for few days and stats about how many candidates applied were not updated properly *happens all the time, so freelancers don't realize that there are already 50+ candidates because they see 15 to 20  range before applying. 

Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
15 of 220

Let it burn : )

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
16 of 220

This is a good initiative, in principle. However, some have already voiced possible issues.

What Upwork has long understood is that it has a tiered market. One with clients seeking quality first and freelancers providing it, and another one with clients ready to give a chance to someone beginning without a solid track record, in exchange for a lower rate.

Upwork seems to be slowly moving towards a two-tiered system, but it certainly doesn't want to disrupt everything at once and to deprive newcomer freelancers of opportunities.

There may be a moment when Upwork will have to somehow make the two-tiered aspect a more fundamental aspect of its business.

This initiative may be a timid move towards this possible future.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
17 of 220

Why don't you just limit the amount of proposals from freelansers that are not TR, and after that point only let TR freelancers apply? In my opinion that would be a way better system, and a real TR perk that would actually mean something.

18 of 220

Wouldn't that be a bit redundant because clients already have that option, don't they? 

I mean I don't see any jobs that are posted in all those top private clouds or jobs that are for Americans only etc. They are just for top rated freelancers or Americans. If they (clients) post their jobs on the regular board, that means they want choice of regular freelancers, not just top rated or Americans.

Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
19 of 220

@Natasa M wrote:

Wouldn't that be a bit redundant because clients already have that option, don't they? 

I mean I don't see any jobs that are posted in all those top private clouds or jobs that are for Americans only etc. They are just for top rated freelancers or Americans. If they (clients) post their jobs on the regular board, that means they want choice of regular freelancers, not just top rated or Americans.

I don't think those clouds are generating anything, but I wouldn't know since I'm not in any of them. Private clouds (as I understand) are groups of freelancers collected by enterprise clients. They are screened vetted etc. They discontinued team builder beta program.

*community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Discontinuing-Team-Builder-Beta-Program/m-p/460614

There is a pro group. This is FAQ (*upwork.com/pro/faq) and this is the marketing page (*upwork.com/pro). They charge clients for this and they hand pick (!) the freelancers. I don't know successful that is. When I say successful I mean bringing in money for Upwork. There are also so called Premium Services for Freelancers (*support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/235060368). I don't have the slightest idea how active they are.

What I see is they are trying to earn money from clients and as always they are underestimating freelancers. We are making more money than half of the clients. At least some of us. And if they stop underestimating us and start to treat us professionally they can and will do better for themselves. Right now it will take just one alternative web site to bring Upwork down. If they don't change their ways they will just be a footnote on Wikipedia.

That saying about trying the same thing and expecting different results... They tried every other way to see this business from the side of the clients. If they don't focus on freelancers and change their game see my first message on this thread.

Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
20 of 220

Well, I agree with this, about trying the same thing and expecting different results... And it is not about clients.

Top rated already have a lot of perks, already have preferential status, access to certain jobs etc. Ultimately, if someone who doesn't have top rated status wins over clients, that means that that person is a better seller. I don't see the purpose of creating a tenure for top rated who are unable to win jobs, sorry. You already have that in practice and it is not working. And btw this clients have 100+ candidates and that is why they don't hire anyone is a faulty logic. 

Anyway, whatever...