cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Testing freelancer location for job posts

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
181 of 257

Hi Jennifer, 

I would like to confirm that you are seeing some jobs with a location requirement in your job search results since you’re a freelancer based in the U.S.

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
182 of 257

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Jennifer, 

I would like to confirm that you are seeing some jobs with a location requirement in your job search results since you’re a freelancer based in the U.S.

Thank you Avery for the clarification. I appreciate it.

Community Leader
Simon W Member Since: Mar 7, 2008
183 of 257

And here we go with another awful enhancement. I've won a number of jobs were people have had listed it as wanting a US freelancer. While there are obviously some jobs that specifically need a someone from a specific region many people list a specific reason simply because they want people who will be around during their business hours. If i'm able and willing to adjust my day to be able to serve these people why shouldn't I be given the chance to argue my case?

Highlighted
Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
184 of 257

It’s been a couple of weeks since we’ve launched this test and we’re closely monitoring the activity thus far. We’re seeing some new U.S. clients take the option of setting their job post and freelancer search results to a U.S. location while others continue to post jobs to the entire marketplace. At the same time, freelancers in the U.S. are seeing the “location requirement” highlighted in job search results and are submitting proposals.

At this time, we’re preparing to expand the test to include some “existing” clients in the U.S.. That is, U.S.-based clients who are already registered on Upwork and may have previously hired. As mentioned in my original post here, existing clients have told us for some time they often find it difficult to locate and hire freelancers based on location. We expect this feature can help address that inefficiency where clients require localized talent.

Here’s how it’ll work:

If a U.S.-based client is included in the test, the next time they search for freelancers or post a job, they’ll have the option to set their freelancer search and job post visibility to U.S.-based freelancers only, with the ability to further refine their search by time zone or state. There will be no “pop-up” screen upon signing into Upwork, only the on/off selection on search results and the option for any new job post they create (see the screenshot below). There will be no impact to current job posts, or ongoing jobs.

locationselection.png

We’ll be starting this in the next few days, so stay tuned. Let us know if you have any questions.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
185 of 257

So it looks as if Upwork is getting ready to shut out all non US freelancers.

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
186 of 257

Not at all Nichola. The majority of jobs are still being posted to the entire marketplace. We do not expect this to change (and we're not trying to change that either).

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
187 of 257

@Garnor M wrote:

Not at all Nichola. The majority of jobs are still being posted to the entire marketplace. We do not expect this to change (and we're not trying to change that either).

In that case, you should expand this test to cover all clients' requirements. And give all clients this option to choose their freelancers from specific geographical locations. France -France; UK - UK; India - India etc.

I still think this is an extraordinarily xenophobic move on Upwork's part, and one that entirely reflects the present political set-up in the US.

Kathleen F Member Since: Apr 27, 2017
188 of 257

I have run into two jobs that I could not submit proposals for simply because the mechanism for trying to confirm my bank doesn't work.

Supposedly, two small deposits were sent to my account. I never got them. There's now no way for me to ask to resubmit, or talk to a technical customer person or anything. On the page it says, "If it doesn't show up in five days, let  us know!" and it directs me to this community board. 

But apparently, there's no resolution because I haven't been offered one. So this means that even though I live in Seattle, there's absolutely zero way for me to ever submit a proposal to someone looking to hire someone in the U.S. 

It would be so nice if there was some actual technical support for UpWork. This cannot be affecting just me. 

I will also say that neither of these jobs needed someone in the U.S. Both clients were new to UpWork. 

Kat

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
189 of 257

Hi Kathleen, 

We're sorry for this inconvenience. I have escalated your issue with the team handling this and we'll have someone get back to you. 

-Avery
Untitled
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
190 of 257

Hey Kathleen,

It appears there was a problem with your bank details, they may have been entered incorrectly on your end. I will follow up with you in a private message.

Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS