Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing freelancer location for job posts

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
11 of 257

Hi Isabelle,

I understand your concern, but also know that since we will be testing out this option with new clients only, it will not impact your existing client relationships.

-Lena

Untitled
Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
12 of 257

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

I'm sure a lot of clients will choose this filter because they've had bad experiences with freelancers from other countries. So fair enough, I get why clients would want this - but can't help feeling a little sad about it.

I've applied for several jobs where they listed North America / Europe as their preferred region, but I ended up getting hired anyway. Unfortunately for me, this hiring feature has the potential to limit the pool of decent clients even further (they're already becoming increasingly scarce on the site).

Thanks Isabelle Anne. We're testing this with new clients only, so they won't have had any experience with freelancers on Upwork. (regarding clients choosing this filter because of a bad experience with freelancers from other countries). 

Regarding your experience in winning projects when clients stated a preference but made a selection outside of that preference: We know these experiences take place and we want them to continue. With this test, we're looking to attract a new type of client who today isn't taking the step of posting a job to Upwork in the first place. We're hoping this gives them an option that will increase that comfort level to get started on Upwork, they'll have a great experience and they'll come back for more, realizing the global freelancer pool will provide even more opportunity.

This widget could not be displayed.
13 of 257

I wonder if freelancers from all countries outside the US will be hidden in search for those clients or only the job offers hidden to those non-US freelancers. That is not the same.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
14 of 257

Hi Margarete,

With this feature, clients can choose to make their job post visible only to freelancers within their country. For jobs where they don’t have this requirement, they can make the post visible to the entire marketplace.

15 of 257

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Margarete,

With this feature, clients can choose to make their job post visible only to freelancers within their country. For jobs where they don’t have this requirement, they can make the post visible to the entire marketplace.

Hi Vladimir, I have understood this. However, those clients who want to show their job offer only to US freelancers might be interested to check freelancers in other markets anyway. My question referred to this. Will those clients be able to look at profiles outside the US or not?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
16 of 257

Hi Margarete,

Yes, clients can always change their mind or choose to invite a freelancer outside of the US to these job posts.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
17 of 257

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Margarete,

Yes, clients can always change their mind or choose to invite a freelancer outside of the US to these job posts.

Hmmm... this doesn't really answer her question Smiley Sad so will clients who initially selected that filter have to change their settings before being able to view / search for (international) freelancers?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
18 of 257

Isabelle Anne and Margarete,

Yes, the client will need to switch the U.S. only visibility off in order to view freelancers from other countries. They'll be able to do it in one click as the switch button will be available at the top of the page.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
19 of 257

@Valeria K wrote:

Isabelle Anne and Margarete,

Yes, the client will need to switch the U.S. only visibility off in order to view freelancers from other countries. They'll be able to do it in one click as the switch button will be available at the top of the page.

I don't like this one bit. Because I am worried about everything that can go wrong here...

Earlier, Valeria wrote this:

"Whichever option they select for their freelancer search will be pre-selected for any future job posting from then on, but can be changed at any time."

That I like even less. Nothing limiting as this should ever become a default.

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
20 of 257

Hi everyone,

Just to clarify, with this new option we are testing, whenever the client posts a job, they will be given a choice of whether they want freelancers in the U.S. only or freelancers anywhere. And when the client searches for freelancers for their job the selection of US or Non-US is pre-selected based on their last search. 

New US Clients who chose to post for US freelancers only will have the ability to change their posting to include all freelancers. They will also have a toggle right next to the search bar to turn on or off for freelancers in the U.S. only. 

When this is pushed live, we can update this thead with screenshots to better demonstrate how these options appear.

-Lena 

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS