Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing freelancer location for job posts

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
221 of 258

How in the world do you get paid if you haven't given U. a varifable bank or card?

I really don't understand what the fuss is about.

mackdiesel
Ace Contributor
Mack D Member Since: Apr 26, 2017
222 of 258

Payment via PayPal seems to work great.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
223 of 258

Mack, yes - and PayPal has your banking info.

mackdiesel
Ace Contributor
224 of 258

@Wendy
Yes...PayPal has my banking info.
I have a very long and happy business relationship between my company and PayPal and so I am comfortable with them having this information.

I would like to point out that me being comfortable with one entity having my banking information does not in any way imply that I am okay with multiple entities having such information.

In regards to everyone keeping your personal information secure the less entities that have access to that information the better...
Granting UpWork access to my banking information creates an additional point of weakness when it comes to keeping my personal information secure as does every time you give any entity your banking information.

Security experts will tell you the best way to minimize risk is simply not to put the information out there.
The best practice to keep your information secure if/when it is absolutely necessary would be to limit access.
By not having multiple online entities having access to your information you greatly reduce the risk of intentional or unintentional release of private info. 

I'm not saying this in a negative manner but...
Using bank account information to verify freelancer location doesn't actually work because banks don't keep track of account owner location once accounts are opened. 

If I provide UpWork with the bank account information for an account I opened in the 80's or 90's how exactly does that have any bearing on my present location when I could be anywhere in the world after all that time?

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
225 of 258

Hi Mack, 

We look at a number of factors such as the freelancer's W-9 information, and/or their login activity, and whether or not they have a verified bank account. 

Trust is very important to us and this is no different. If we find users are lying about their location or other details we will take action.

-Avery
Untitled
mackdiesel
Ace Contributor
226 of 258

@Avery
Pardon me but I'm still a little unclear as to...

Can freelancer location be verified by means other than by providing bank account information?

I think this is the big question that everyone wants to know...at least I do.

aocumen
227 of 258

Hi Mack, 

Yes. We can cross-check the information provided in their W-9 form, their login activity, the address they have provided in their profile. If these information are not enough, we would request US freelancers for their US bank information. 

-Avery
Untitled
mackdiesel
Ace Contributor
228 of 258

@Avery

Thank you.
How can I initiate this process?
I don't see anywhere in my account where this could be done

aocumen
229 of 258

The option to verify your information usually appears when you intend to apply for US-based jobs on the platform. To initiate it, you can go to your Find Work page, and click on the search box's magnifying lense. You will see that the US-based jobs toggle is turned-on. When you click on Submit Proposal to one of the job posts, the option to verify your profile with a US bank account should appear. 

-Avery
Untitled
mackdiesel
Ace Contributor
230 of 258

@Avery

I guess I must be missing something here...I thought that you understood what I was asking.

My original question was-
Can freelancer location be verified by means other than by providing bank account information?

Let me rephrase the question...
With all of the other  methods available to UpWork that you mentioned can freelancer location be verified by any means in lieu of the freelancer providing UpWork with their bank account information at this time???