Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing freelancer location for job posts

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
231 of 257

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Mack, 

Yes. We can cross-check the information provided in their W-9 form, their login activity, the address they have provided in their profile. If these information are not enough, we would request US freelancers for their US bank information. 

This answer is stunningly wrong. Should it not be removed?

Best to all,

Michael 

Ace Contributor
Mack D Member Since: Apr 26, 2017
232 of 257

@Michael
The answer that Avery provided does seem a bit "inconsistent" with what is actually going on.

I've lived at the same address for more than a decade and access UpWork via a major ISP so determining my location via IP shouldn't be that hard to do.

I would like to know if anyone has actually cross-checked my information or does UpWork wait to do their "cross-checking" after my bank information has been released to them?

Also...If our bank account are used to verify our "location" can this information be purged from the UpWork system after verification? If this is to determine "location" there doesn't seem to be a need to store such personal information on a permanent or long term basis.

Just looking for a little clarification

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
233 of 257

Mack,

While you can remove your bank account from Upwork after verifying your location, we can't guarantee that the verification won't expire in that case. I'd like to note once again that you can rest assured that your information is safe with us and we are also working on alternative ways of verifying freelancer location.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Robert D Member Since: Apr 25, 2017
234 of 257

Valerie,

With all due respect, nothing is "safe and secure" all of the hacks that are out there make people nervous with regard to their information - my profile info should be enough to let you guys know which country I am from....there has to be another way....

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
235 of 257

Michael and Mack,

I can confirm the information in Avery's response. There are other ways the location can be verified. That said, at this time if requested, the freelancer has to have a U.S. bank account and share that information with us in order to confirm their location. This may change in the future as we continue to test and develop this new feature. Once completed, this verification doesn't expire and you aren't required to use this bank account as your payment method on Upwork.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
236 of 257

@Valeria K wrote:

Michael and Mack,

I can confirm the information in Avery's response. There are other ways the location can be verified. That said, at this time if requested, the freelancer has to have a U.S. bank account and share that information with us in order to confirm their location. This may change in the future as we continue to test and develop this new feature. Once completed, this verification doesn't expire and you aren't required to use this bank account as your payment method on Upwork.

Valeria,

"If requested"? Isn't the whole point of this pages-long controversy that bank account information is always "requested"? That's not a request, it's an a priori requirement. No vetting or cross checking is done before insisting on that requirement. That makes Avery's response wrong and misleading, regardless of what Upwork "can" do, or might do in the future. The point is what it does do, as you've just confirmed several times in no uncertain terms. The staff response you are defending totally muddies the waters, as several contractor responses illustrate. So what is the point of defending it?

Best,

Michael

Trevor R Member Since: Jun 2, 2017
237 of 257

I agree with Mack, first of all, but second I'm pretty sure (I don't use it much) that Paypal has my credit card, which much safer.

Trevor R Member Since: Jun 2, 2017
238 of 257

Another person earlier in the list of posts, or maybe to another similar thread, said, "You don't have to prove you reside in that country.  It's only for certain jobs to be available."  Well, yes, but wouldn't that be like me living in the U.S. as a U.S. citizen, which I do and am, and pretending I'm an illegal immigrant when trying to get a brick and mortar job.  And yes, my regular job deposits my paycheck into my bank account, but giving my bank account info to someone in my business office isn't the same as posting it somewhere online.

Ace Contributor
Mack D Member Since: Apr 26, 2017
239 of 257

Bank account information is probably the least reliable way to determine a freelancers Location...

It bothers me greatly that UpWork is so insistent on obtaining information that does not seem to meet the goals for which they have stated this information is being collected for.

I worked as an accountant for two different Fortune 500 companies before I started frelancing full time in the late 90's. I had acceess to millions of dollars in funds and neither of those two companies nor ANY company that I have ever worked for requested or was given access to such personal information.

UpWork is not my employer and I don't work for them but yet somehow UpWork feels that they need copious amounts of my personal information.

If my Identify has already been verified then how/why is my Location a question of issue and how exactly does giving UpWork to my bank account actually prove anything?

Do the folks at UpWork know that you don't even need to be a US citizen to open up a bank account here in the US?

Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
240 of 257

I'm a bit late to this discussion (and too lazy to read through all the comments, sorry), but I would like to draw attention to two issues (which I have seen crop up on other platforms).

1) The country I live and work in -- Austria -- is very small and hardly registers with some people as being part of the German-speaking world. I offer language services tailored to the (larger) German market in addition to Austrian German services and products, but I fear that clients looking for German translators, etc. will look for "location: Germany" ONLY! (Are you sure that you want your clients to miss out on receiving proposals from...ahem...brilliant providers like me, especially now that I have added a new qualification and become a certified terminology manager?)

2) If this feature is rolled out to include job notifications sent to us, via email or app, then the filter criteria may have to be expanded to include our skills and services offered. Because I don't look forward to receiving invitations for "Location: xxx", Job: web designer" etc. because the only filter applied was the location!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS