cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing freelancer location for job posts

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
251 of 257

Hi Brittany,

At this time, you need have a U.S. bank account and share that information with us in order to confirm your location and have access to U.S.-only jobs. This may change in the future as we continue to test and develop this new feature.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Juanita M Member Since: Jul 6, 2017
252 of 257

How do you update your location and/or change it so that you do not need to add a bank account. Or do you no matter what? Just about everytime I go to submit a proposal, I cannot because of this. Please advise on how to get verified automatically.

Truly,

Juanita.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
253 of 257

Hi Juanita,

If you don't verify your location, you should still be able to have access to jobs that don't have a U.S.-only requirement. However, if you do want to be able to send proposals to U.S.-only jobs, you'll need to add your bank account to verify your location.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
254 of 257

Can you do this for freelancers, as well? I would like not to see jobs in my jobs list from some countries. Thanks.

255 of 257

Now it seems to be hearting other freelancers that out side of US .

Low job posting in some categories etc.

After encourage us to do more freelancing even full time and we moved to here .

Our main income is this . By reducing opportunities it's effecting lot  and hit harder on us.

We hit hard when merging elance-UW . After lot of dedication we able correct it.

BUT THIS IS NOT CONTROLLABLE AT ALL.

Please stop this,  location specific job posts and currently allow clients in the U.S. to post jobs exclusively for U.S.-based freelancers. .

Thank you !!!

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
256 of 257

Hi Kalaani,

Thank you for your feedback, I will share this with our team.

Untitled
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
257 of 257

Absolutely agree, it has lessened work for anyone not in the US. This should change back since this platform was made for all freelancers, not just those in the US. I have gotten lots of jobs from clients from in the US who are looking for someone within their timezone because I am actually closer to some of their timezones than even some of the actual freelancers in the US. It is xenophobic to be honest. I am seeing a lot less work lately that is decent paying as the US clients select only US people, and though I still get a nice bit of work here from the US, it is super unfortunate that I don't have access to bid on jobs that I could possibly get. I don't believe in what has been said, that these clients wouldn't select others in the first place because I have been selected before when clients wanted someone in similar timezones and thought that it wouldn't work(I am in Canada). Doing this for US only and having it toggled on automatically is a totally bad idea and was never the main point of this site. 

I am also seeing jobs still that I can't even apply for going into my emails from Upworks, so it is discouraging when you click into a job and want to apply, and are unable to because of the US only restriction. 

I've also been told as well it is being discussed with the team, and I hope that is true. 

If clients want to see less bids, well then, why not allow people who are paid members at the least who aren't in the US to be able to bid on the US only jobs? All that would happen is that they'd either select you are not. Or why not have a special seperate program offered that these US clients who definitely do not want freelancers in any other countries to be able to utilize, and then they can sign up seperately, and not have to toggle the option on and off. It makes no sense to have this automatically set on for all US clients as soon as they come here to find freelancers, and though I have no idea if my suggestions would work, I feel something definitely needs to change. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS