Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing freelancer location for job posts

Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
21 of 257

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

I've applied for several jobs where they listed North America / Europe as their preferred region, but I ended up getting hired anyway. Unfortunately for me, this hiring feature has the potential to limit the pool of decent clients even further (they're already becoming increasingly scarce on the site).

Same sentiments here. A lot of my clients initially needed someone from North America or UK but I got hired because, well, I'm **bleep** good at cover letters.

In fact, all the jobs I had in the past six months all asked for US freelancers yet they hired someone from halfway around the world.

Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
22 of 257

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
23 of 257

If this change is implemented across the board, will clients have the option to select more than one country?

I'm asking because this is an interesting change, it may have many consequences if implemented across the board. I understand that it is mainly meant to address issues raised by some US clients who seek local contractors. I'm sure also that many non-US clients would love to see this implemented globally.

I can imagine a Spanish client in need of legal or financial services in Poland, a French company not wanting to struggle with time zones differences and language barriers or a UK client wanting to collect leads in Germany.

But I also imagine other specific cases where clients may want to restrict their posting to a specific list of countries. A Spanish client may want proposals from Spain but also from a bunch of South American countries. A translation client may want to receive proposals from Germany and Austria, or from France, Belgium and Canada, depending on the target language. Also a client on budget may want to receive proposals from developers from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh only.

If clients are allowed to select more than one country, it may help them receive more targeted proposals. Of course, it may have negative consequences on some freelancers, I understand that.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
24 of 257

Suggestion for U to consider re this test -

This concept seems more geared to potential clients who need freelancers in a part-time or full-time  on-site situation more than anything.

As such, it really is not legitimately applicable to potential buyers requiring, as Garnor wrote "For some projects, clients have told us they want to work with a freelancer within their country. Maybe these projects require localized knowledge (like legal or marketing projects), ... or specific compliance needs that make it easier to work with someone in their own country."

What has been forgotten, overlooked, or ignored is the fact that most of the more successful freelancers have worked for global companies and therefore have the required industry knowledge - from localization to compliance rules plus more.

Would it not make more sense to include a sub-cat to all major category breakouts that currently exist titled "Need a freelancer on-site?" 

As far as availability re time zones - my educated guess is that the more successful freelancers always put client needs and time frames first - and therefore work within the client's time zone as needed.

Elaine Kay S Member Since: Jun 25, 2016
25 of 257

I got an email to add bank account information. This seems odd since Upwork already has my bank info. Therefore, why can't they verify location based on the existing information? The link takes me to the regular "add a bank account" page. I hesitate to put in info under this circumstance.

Thanks,

Elaine

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
26 of 257

Hi Elaine,

Unfortunately, we need additional information to verify your location. Check out this help article for further details.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Peggy B Member Since: Feb 21, 2017
27 of 257

I got this same message.  I am not a fan of having to provide my bank information as a way of proving my location.  Surely there is some other way to do this without exposing my banking info on a site that has less than stable servers.

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
28 of 257

Your personal, private information is secure Peggy and has been during the recent site issues. It is your choice whether or not to complete the request, but if you're seeing the pop-up, it will be required to participate.

Elaine Kay S Member Since: Jun 25, 2016
29 of 257

But it still doesn't make sense. You, Upwork, HAS that information! Woman Frustrated

Chris W Member Since: Aug 7, 2015
30 of 257

Great!!