cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing freelancer location for job posts

Debbie N Member Since: Apr 26, 2017
31 of 257

I just switched back to my Home (Find Work) page and there was a message at the top of my screen:

You've added your bank account, but it still needs to be verified. We've initiated 2 small deposits, which may take up to 3 days to show up. To complete verification, confirm the 2 amounts here.

I added my bank information when I created my account back in March. I have not changed it since. Why am I getting this message now?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
32 of 257

Debbie N wrote:

I just switched back to my Home (Find Work) page and there was a message at the top of my screen:

You've added your bank account, but it still needs to be verified. We've initiated 2 small deposits, which may take up to 3 days to show up. To complete verification, confirm the 2 amounts here.

I added my bank information when I created my account back in March. I have not changed it since. Why am I getting this message now?

Did you add it to "Billing" instead of to "Get Paid?"

Debbie N Member Since: Apr 26, 2017
33 of 257

Petra:

The information is under "Get Paid"

Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
34 of 257

Hello Debbie,

Since you already verified your bank account, seeing this message probably means you're enrolled in the new program by Upwork they're testing where only US freelancers can apply to jobs targeted in the US based on clients' preferences during the job creation process.

While I can't be 100% sure about whether this is the case or not, but in case it is then Upwork needs you to verify your bank account again to verify that you are a US resident.

You may need to check with a CS agent whether my assumption was correct or not, but you can also check the announcement to this new feature here to learn more about it:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Testing-freelancer-location-for-job-posts/td-p/334213

Best regards,
Wassim

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
35 of 257

Hi Debbie,

I merged your post to this thread as it's related to the change announced here. Verifying your bank account will help us confirm your location so you could participate in the program. Please, see this help article for more information.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Lisa T Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
36 of 257

Everyone I've told about this requirement to give your bank account information has had the same reaction - that it sounds like a scam. My husband said "they are NOT going to get our bank account information." Someone else told me that it's probably a scammer that stole the company's logo and sent out emails. But nope, it's real.

They must be planning to do something with our bank account info, because there are other ways to verify our address - SSN, drivers license number, etc. A bank account doesn't even prove residence. People can have foreign accounts. Is there any other way to verify?

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
37 of 257

Hi Lisa, 

If you are talking about clients requesting for bank information, this is an unusual request and something we do not recommend meeting. Please report these clients so that actions can be taken against their account. 

For freelancers who haven't been location verified, and would want to submit proposals to a location-based job, you will be prompted to verify your bank account within the platform. There will be a pop-up window with steps on how you can verify your profile, and these will all be completed via the platform.

-Avery
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Lisa T Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
38 of 257

No, I'm not talking about clients requesting for bank information. That wouldn't be worth discussing, as it would be an unqualified "no" and I wouldn't do business with that person. I think you know that I'm talking about the subject at hand. There's no reason for anyone to bring up something about a client requesting bank information in a thread about UpWork requesting bank information, and no reason for you to think I was.

It's clear that Upwork is wanting our bank information for some purpose other than identifying, as there are plenty of legitimate ways to identify where we live. As I said, a bank account number doesn't prove anything because people can and do have foreign accounts for various reasons.

I don't give my bank account number out to anyone, not even paypal. It's too easy for someone to steal your identity, especially when they ALREADY have your address and other info.

Everyone I told about this thought it was a scam. It makes me very leery. I thought Upwork was a better company than this.

Ace Contributor
Mack D Member Since: Apr 26, 2017
39 of 257

I'm just tired of UpWork requesting more and more personal information which is NOT required to do business.

I don't want funds deposited into my bank account and I should NOT be penalized for not turning over banking information.

The mere idea that I will not apparently be eligible for some jobs without giving up my banking information is extortive.

I am a US citizen...born and raised. I've been in business since 1988. I've been at the same location in Houston Tx for more than a dozen years.

If someone could give me ONE legitimate reason as to why I would give UpWork or anyone else my bank information when I don't want or need UpWork to have it please let me know.

UpWork needs to stop requesting unnecessary personal information.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
40 of 257

Hi Mack, 

The bank account that you will use for verification will and you won’t be required to use this bank account as your withdrawal method. This will only be used to verify your location, and will no way be used for any purposes. 

Some freelancers may not need to verify their location with their bank accounts. We look at a number of factors, such as your W-9 information, whether they have a verified bank account, and/or their login activity. 

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS