cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing freelancer location for job posts

Ace Contributor
Mack D Member Since: Apr 26, 2017
61 of 257

So UpWork wants to collect and store my bank account infromation along with my other personal information under the guise of it being to verify my LOCATION.

The mere fact that with the resources of some of the best programmers in the world available to them that UpWork wants to use bank account information to verify user location is laughable, suspect, and Scary.

There are a multitude of means in which my location could be verified and oddly enough access to my bank account is NOT one of them since there is no way to determine when the account was opened and if I am still even living within the US.

As a coder and a longtime netizen I will have to say that....
When a company employs a method that puts users at risk while also not achieving the purpose it was intended to it becomes "suspect" in my book.

Having access to my bank account information will never prove where I may be located and only serves to place more of my personal information on a site which rarely ever seems to run for seven days straight without being down for one reason or another.

Please tell me how a bank account would provide more information than my IP address (which I'm sure UpWork already has) or any other means of residency verification used by other legitimate companies. Yes...I know that IP's can be spoofed but that is still a far batter indicator than basing my location on where a bank account may have been opened up 10 or 20 years ago.

Ace Contributor
62 of 257

Now that I have voiced my concerns as expected my UpWork account has been flagged...

It is EXACTLY this type of behavior that makes me VERY leery of giving UpWork any additional information.

What I look like and where I bank are two things that have ZERO effect on the quality of my work and one should be able to clearly see that based upon my UpWork ratings.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
63 of 257

@"Mack" wrote:

Now that I have voiced my concerns as expected my UpWork account has been flagged...

Chances are your account was flagged because your profile picture isn't in line with policies

@"Mack" wrote:

What I look like and where I bank are two things that have ZERO effect on the quality of my work

Probably, but you can read the policies (especially regarding name and photo) as easily as the next person.

@ "Mack" wrote:
..........one should be able to clearly see that based upon my UpWork ratings.

especially your last feedback, which calls you out as a fake?

Ace Contributor
64 of 257

I am aware of the issue and this is the same issue that I opened my UpWork account with...

What you and UpWork fail to realize is that this "policy" does NOT help anyone

Very much like providing my bank account information doesn't help anyone.

There are several VERY good reasons that I am rarely photographed...

But I would like to point out that this image policy does nothing but allow for freelancers to be discriminated upon by race and/or religion.

I have been in tech longer than most of you have been alive...
There are no questions as to whether the American tech workplace is racially and culturally biased.
There have been enough studies over the last decade to clearly show how certain racial demographics are almost absent in the American tech marketplace.

Does my race or appearance effect my ability to perform my job???
It most certainly doesn't but I can assure you from nearly three decades of experience that some employers will deny hiring me simply upon apperance.

Freelancing has enabled me to work and grow without all of the normal back office politics that infect the workplace but thanks to UpWork we can all look forward to being discriminated against again.

Great Job Guys....You have found yet another way to make things harder for freelancers without there being any positive benefits to your actions!!!

Ace Contributor
65 of 257

Petra
One should clearly be able to see from my 100% Job Success and Top Rated ranking that I am a quality freelancer...

Neither of the items that I mentioned have any effect on the service that I provide to my clients.

Instead of UpWork harassing people to provide them with information that is CLEARLY not needed to perform the task at hand maybe UpWork could spend time doing more useful things like cutting down on the number of "questionable" job postings here...maybe UpWork could do something about the infected files that clients are uploading into the system...maybe UpWork could do anything but make the lives of hard working freelancers more complicated and exposing their private information to risk for ZERO net result.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
66 of 257

@Mack D wrote:

Petra
One should clearly be able to see from my 100% Job Success and Top Rated ranking that I am a quality freelancer...

Neither of the items that I mentioned have any effect on the service that I provide to my clients.

Instead of UpWork harassing people to provide them with information that is CLEARLY not needed to perform the task at hand maybe UpWork could spend time doing more useful things like cutting down on the number of "questionable" job postings here...maybe UpWork could do something about the infected files that clients are uploading into the system...maybe UpWork could do anything but make the lives of hard working freelancers more complicated and exposing their private information to risk for ZERO net result.

And now going completely off topic - but as I have remarked somewhere else (and got my wrists slapped), it seems that Upwork's  rules about pics only apply to some freelancers regardless of whether they are top rated or not.

Mack D. you might be the most respected, highest paid freelancer on this site, and you might also have genuine reasons for not displaying a picture of yourself. However the avatar you have chosen is hideous - is this how you view yourself?

Of course it is for Upwork to favour some and not others . . .

Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
67 of 257

Looking at my job feed, it seems as though you have already implemented this and it has been going on for a while. 

My job feed seems to be full of the U.S. freelancers turned clients who took on projects that they were not able to complete and now they are advertising for someone else to jump in (the budget is totally ridiculous of course and there is that sense of urgency "asap! needed in 16 hours! in 8 hours! in 5 hours! like yesterday!")  On the bright side, those "clients" obviously know better than their clients, so I guess we, in the world, will still continue to see "jobs for Americans only," although advertised at much lower rates...But we will still see them (with addition of "asap! must! now!") so that is something to look forward to...

Ace Contributor
68 of 257

Petra
In regards to the last feedback on my profile....
Is there not a rule againt clients requesting personal information from freelancers?

This client asked me to sign an NDA to which I agreed.

The client also wanted me to send them a copy of my personal identification which I did NOT agree to.

I explained to the client that the proper way to handle this situation and any questions regarding the validity of my signature on the document would be to have the document notarized and the client objected to this.

Once again I should NOT have to send personal information not needed to complete the task at hand to UpWork or clients from UpWork

Just as a general note...
This feedback should really be removed from my profile becuase the client should not have requested that I send them any personal documents especially if their possession of those documents would not be needed for legal execution of the NDA.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
69 of 257

@Mack D wrote:

Is there not a rule againt clients requesting personal information from freelancers?

No. There is no such rule.

@Mack D wrote:

This feedback should really be removed from my profile

The long and short of it is: Unless Upwork are willing to overlook the profile picture issue (and that is an "IF") and let you change it to a photo of yourself, AND your real legal name is indeed "Mack Diesel" the whole thing is academic as you won't have a profile any longer.

Ace Contributor
70 of 257

Regardless of whether UpWork has a rule about clients requesting personal information or not there is NO reason why any legitimate business would not accept a notarized document and so therefore there is ZERO need for me to have to forward copies of my personal identification to a client.

Regardless of what that client may think it is NOT standard business procedure for one to mail copies of their identification along with a non-disclosure agreement.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that when it comes to changes being made at UpWork that very little of them seem to have to do anything with beneftting or protecting freelancers.