Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing freelancer location for job posts

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
71 of 257

@Mack D wrote:
Instead of UpWork harassing people to provide them with information that is CLEARLY not needed to perform the task at hand

Let's just cut through all the nonsense, shall we?

The **REAL** reason why you don't want to add your bank account is because your bank account must be in your real legal name, and match the name on your profile.

Obviously people who use a fake name on their profile won't have a bank account in that fake name.

Peggy B Member Since: Feb 21, 2017
72 of 257

Petra, banking details can be cloned on checks and accounts completely drained, that's why none of us are thrilled to give details about our bank accounts and many US retailers are steering away from taking checks, since a bad check is so easy to create.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
73 of 257

Hi Peggy, 

We looked at several different ways to verify whether a freelancer was based in the U.S. Unfortunately, none were perfect, and it is still susceptible to workarounds by those trying to misrepresent their location. We also wanted to avoid requiring freelancers to scan and submit documentation and potentially wait days while we reviewed paperwork, IDs, etc.

We decided, in this case, that providing proof of a U.S. bank account would be simple, secure, and spare freelancers the hassle of emailing documents to us. Of course we also will, at times, review a freelancer’s login information and other account details for signs they are not living where they say they are. And when we find users are not truthful about their location or other details, we take action, including permanently deactivating their Upwork account.

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
74 of 257

@Peggy B wrote:

Petra, banking details can be cloned on checks and accounts completely drained, that's why none of us are thrilled to give details about our bank accounts and many US retailers are steering away from taking checks, since a bad check is so easy to create.

Peggy, are you seriously suggesting that Upwork will be using your bank account details to write checks?

Financial info such as the account details are encrypted and not even Upwork staff or the account owner (You can only see the last 4 digits even yourself) can see them. If I were so concerned about Upwork "doing something" with my bank account details, I could never use the site at all, as it processes thousands of Dollars of my hard earned money every month. 

Peggy B Member Since: Feb 21, 2017
75 of 257

Petra,

No, I am not suggesting that Upwork employees will do something with the banking info, but rather that providing it sets us up for a vulnerability that hackers can use, just like they did with retailers Home Depot and Target, and just recently with the parent company of the Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn hotel chains.  Massive data breaches at those places have caused financial problems for victims.

Community Guru
76 of 257

@Peggy B wrote:

No, I am not suggesting that Upwork employees will do something with the banking info, but rather that providing it sets us up for a vulnerability that hackers can use, just like they did with retailers Home Depot and Target, and just recently with the parent company of the Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn hotel chains. 

Not from bank details, but credit card details though, correct? Quite, QUITE different, wouldn't you agree?

Anyone you have ever given a check to has or could still have more details than you'd be providing to Upwork.  Frankly I really think this is a typical storm in a teapot. Hundreds of thousands of Upworkers have been paid via bank transfer for many years.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
77 of 257

@Petra R wrote:

@Peggy B wrote:

No, I am not suggesting that Upwork employees will do something with the banking info, but rather that providing it sets us up for a vulnerability that hackers can use, just like they did with retailers Home Depot and Target, and just recently with the parent company of the Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn hotel chains. 

Not from bank details, but credit card details though, correct? Quite, QUITE different, wouldn't you agree?

Anyone you have ever given a check to has or could still have more details than you'd be providing to Upwork.  Frankly I really think this is a typical storm in a teapot. Hundreds of thousands of Upworkers have been paid via bank transfer for many years.

Peggy is correct that fraudulent checks are easy to create; all it takes is a MICR (magnetic toner) cartridge for a laser printer, and check stock, both of which are items of commerce.

You are correct that the risk extends to the very writing of checks, though not checks to "anyone." MICR printing is expensive, and only profitable if done on a large scale—such as if one had access to a (decryptable) theft from a database.

If people choose to keep their financial details private, that is their business. That they should question providing those details for a purpose other than receiving money is reasonable, particularly when that purpose is not served by collecting such information, let alone actually accessing the account—as is illustrated by my off-platform European client who works in a second European country and pays me through a US bank account.

Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
78 of 257

This is a little unsettling really. I've had jobs where clients said they preferred someone from the US and selected me anyways. I am in Canada but many US clients who write they want someone from the US still pick me, most likely because we are the same language, have similar ways in which we work, relatively similar timezones, etc. So does this mean I won't be able to apply for those jobs or that if they filter US only they won't be able to see my bids? Many times clients may say US only, but then they realize it's worth it to hire someone like me, for example, from Canada. Will there be one for North America only? This to me just makes it all more confusing. If this is introduced, I feel it's taking away oppotunities from myself and others who work with a lot of US clients and otherwise. 

Say for example, a client from the US doesn't want the language barriers? I can see them just saying US only because they know if they pick US only they will get only english speakers, thus excluding someone like myself even though I am fully capable of helping them and quite possibly a better match than someone in the US. 

The functionality of the site seems to be getting more and more complex rather than simple for people to find freelancers. 

Community Guru
79 of 257

@Amanda F wrote:

So does this mean I won't be able to apply for those jobs or that if they filter US only they won't be able to see my bids?

You don't even see those jobs to apply to in the first place..... Nor do I....

Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
80 of 257

Yes but that is what I am saying, I should be able to bid on such jobs as anyone else should be able to as there are many US clients who say they want US only, but may consider someone from Canada, etc.. To exclude me because I am not in the US makes no sense to me. If the reason for someone in the US making the job "only for US" is because they want someone locally or just absolutely need a US resident, then I understand. But will people from the US use this just because they want english speakers only ,for example, and just not realize they could have people from Canada, Italtians who know english like yourself, etc. apply as well? I've been hired under this scenario before, where a client had "US only" but they hired me because what they really meant was "we want good english speakers from somewhere in North America".

There could be many reasons someone from the US says US only but don't necessarily care if its someone from a different area in North America. If this test seems to work for upworks, will it be implemented ongoingly and have scenarios like I am saying here? If so, It should be rethought because this would be a missed opportunity where it doesn't have to be.