Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing freelancer location for job posts

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
81 of 257

@Amanda F wrote:

But will people from the US use this just because they want english speakers only ,for example, and just not realize they could have people from Canada apply as well?

Or from England, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Scotland, Ireland....

I don't like it either because a client may set it that way for one job where they think they need a US based person, and then just leave it as the setting applies to ALL their jobs forever unless / until the client changes it manually. If I understand it correctly the client won't even see any other freelancers in their searches unless they change the setting.

They're wrapped up in a little US bubble.

Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
82 of 257

Yeah, that's exactly my point but just using Canada as an example, and your point is good to add to this as well if they keep the setting on and this becomes common place here. There would be many missed opportunities for those like you, me, and for a bunch of other english speaking and capable freelancers in such a scenario, and all jobs would go to US freelancers even though the client didn't necessarily need a US freelance, but rather needed an english speaker. Of course there is an english speaking filter, but I can see a US client thinking "I need an english speaker, I will pick US only" because I've seen jobs like it before. I've even won some like this.

This to me is a bad idea. There is already a way for clients to look through US contractors and they can also already say "US only" in the job posting. Why make it more complex and confusing and not allow others to bid if they want to as it is now? Clients don't have to view my bid if they don't want to, but I should be able to at least try to bid on the job since they don't always mean "US only" when they say it. There are times they'll select someone anyways from a different area based on merit of skill, portfolios, compatibility, etc. 

Community Guru
83 of 257

I'd like to hear from a mod about this. I can't see anyway you can rebut what I said. But obviously will be given generic answers as usual. This idea just isn't right. If we are in a global market well it should be just that. Allowing US only jobs where that stays as a setting for clients and also hides other freelancers doesn't make sense and some of these clients don't necessarily need US only people. I've been hired by people who have said US only before and still got the job as sometimes what they really mean is "someone in the same timezone" or "someone who speaks english well". This is only going to take away the already lessening opportunities here. 

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
84 of 257

Hi Amanda, 

We allow clients to search and hire based on the freelancer’s location because we recognize that some projects may require localized knowledge, work within certain time zones, or other factors that require the freelancer be in a specific location.

With this new feature, we hope to meet the needs of clients who need talent within their own country. By doing so, we hope to get them started on Upwork before opening the door to future projects that can be done globally.

We expect that this new feature will grow the number of clients (and thus the overall pool of jobs available) on Upwork. Potential clients tell us that in order to use Upwork to connect with freelancers worldwide, they also need, at times, to work with freelancers in their own country. By enabling them to do just that, they are more apt to use Upwork to find freelancers for work where location isn’t important.

Please know we are testing out this feature with clients in the U.S. to start and if it helps bring more freelancer opportunities to Upwork, we’ll look at expanding it to other countries.

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Corinne L Member Since: Jun 3, 2013
85 of 257

This is a severe blow to all the native English translators who are not based in the US and to the the US translators who don't live in their home country.

There's going to be less and less opportunitIes for them.

Community Guru
86 of 257

You guys keep just giving a generic response. Please don't repeat the same generic response. If you are about to, just don't answer. 

I can see this having the affect of future/new clients only hiring within their own area, especially if what Petra said is true where once enabled, a client has to manually turn off the US only. That at the very least shouldn't happen! There are many new clients who wouldn't even see where to go to turn it off. So then my US competitors will get all the jobs. So does this really make those new clients more apt to look globally after the first job? I can't see how. If they are introduced to selecting from US only freelancers and the setting doesn't toggle off without them manually doing it, they'll most likely continue to hire only within the US. 

For me, I obviously don't mind working with people in my home country or anywhere for that matter, but over 90% of my clients here are from the US. So this will hide many of my potential clients with whom I could have provided proposals to and may be selected by and whom I could have convinced through my proposal that I was the right person for the job even though I am not in the US. I take on a lot of new clients who've kept using your platform and all my work is pretty much from new clients or ones I already have. I also understand some of these clients say they want people in the US only because I guess that makes them feel confortable to hire, but there have been plenty of US only jobs I have seen where the client hired someone from another area, even after thinking "I need someone from the US only". Clients already have a way to search for US contractors only if they want to, and they also can add it in their job. I get that you want to limit the proposal numbers for them, but amounts of proposals should be an expected part of using a global site and to me, it's just limiting their potential freelancers to select from who do have similar timezones, languages, or even some of the other factors you mention that they may consider and most of all the skills they need to complete their jobs. 

Ace Contributor
Ona J B Member Since: Jun 23, 2015
87 of 257

This is really cool, but since the first "filter" update came through, I've not been able to access my reports page. I've tried being patient and retrying. Now I've tried reporting -- with attached files. 

With all due respect, while I do like working with people in my own country, I also like being able to access my milestones, my work-in-progress reports, and my payments!

I'm probably not your most expensive writer, but neither do I like working for free or being unable to chart the progress of payments.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
88 of 257

@Ona J B wrote:

This is really cool, but since the first "filter" update came through, I've not been able to access my reports page.

Just because two things happened on the same day does not mean one caused the other.

Have you tried a hard refresh of your Reports page? (a hard refresh is done by pressing Ctrl and F5 at the same time on Windows.)

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
89 of 257

Hi Ona,

We've had a few reports of issues with accessing Reports. It's not related to the feature discussed on this thread but the team is investigating it.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Ona J B Member Since: Jun 23, 2015
90 of 257

Thanks, Valeria. I finally found where I could successfully move my pending payment over to my bank account, so I am feeling happier now. And I found a milestones link under "my jobs" -- which is not where I normally look for it. But I'll take it. It means I can keep on working and getting things done and submitted.

It is good to hear something from someone about these things.