cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing video chat profile verification

Goce N Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
91 of 2,417

Well I did it 3-4 hours ago and I still can't submit proposals because my account is suspended.

How are you justyfing that?

Best
Goce

Ayesha I Member Since: Sep 14, 2017
92 of 2,417

hey.

i'm trying from the last few days for my account verification video call by clicking on the given link and then the "chat now" icon but after that there's no response from upwork. kindly guide me what to do. 

Jo J Member Since: Dec 4, 2017
93 of 2,417

Well, it's a choice of Upwork to work like that and I can choose to comply or leave..  Against my better knowing, I decided to comply to be able to get access to my account.  

I have installed camera, mic, etc ,  clicked the link in Upwork's request and pressed the chat button.... Turns out Upwork does not respond. Not to the chat button, not to my request for info on waiting time.
I am waiting for three quarters of an hour now for this verification.

Holding an account hostage, making it impossible to work for those who make a living on it in combination with  being so uncooperative is ba-a-a-ad business.

What you could do, as Upwork helpdesk?
Please reply when asked how much waiting time there is now, or set up an agenda for people to subscribe, give an insight how busy your helpdesk is now and when there is no 'rush hour'.... 
Give people an insight, so they don't have to sit idly hoping they will get their verification

So Lena E... don't say it ONLY takes 5 minutes. 
By the way,  "user's identities"   does include those who are hiring freelancers too?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
94 of 2,417

Hi Jo,

Did you receive any error when following the link in the notification? One of our agents will follow up with you directly about that.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Cliff F Member Since: Dec 4, 2017
95 of 2,417

"The process takes less than 5 minutes and we have made it very simple to do." Quote from Lena E on 8/18/2017.

So someone has to go out and buy a camera and a microphone, or apply for a passport which would probably take weeks or months and that's supposed to be simple? And what is a government ID anyway? Apparently it's not a driver's license.

I'm very irritated about this. It's heavy handed and rude, and it feels like extortion. There are over 190 pages in this thread, and I don't have time to read them all. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about this. If I'm not able to meet your "simple" conditions will you continue to charge me $10 per month even though you don't allow me to make proposals? That sounds like fraud to me.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
96 of 2,417

Hi Cliff, 

If you do not have the available equipment to do the video verification, please initiate the verification and inform your Chat Support Agent that you do not have any webcam available. You will be given further instructions on how you can verify your profile information. 

Verify your profile.png

-Avery
Untitled
Jennifer Ann B Member Since: Nov 18, 2014
97 of 2,417

Isn't it an intrusive way of verifying once profile?  I have been a member of Upwork (still Odesk at that time) and right from that moment a verification should have been made already so why now? I also have a spotless record and have great reviews but why was I singled out for this verification process? What will you do with the video and what kind of questions do you ask?  I can answer your questions without doing the video chat am I right?  And why do you have to put on hold the wages for the services rendered just so one can participate in the video verification?  Is that lawful?  You are also getting a share from the freelancers so why put on hold?  You will not have a business and will not gain income as you won't be able to provide services without the freelancers, correct?

Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
98 of 2,417

Hi Jennifer,

We wish this step was not needed. But unfortunately there are sometimes fraudulent profiles on Upwork and we want to better ensure our marketplace is a secure place for upstanding freelancers and clients to connect and work together. If you have any other questions regarding verification, feel free to reply to the verification request from the team and we'll be happy to assist.

~Nina
Untitled
Fabrizio Z Member Since: Aug 1, 2016
99 of 2,417

welcome to the club,

today they restricted mine for verification, I have a candidacy and if they try to hire me I cannot be hired today or tomorrow morning. Great.

Chat only helped to make me feel more frustrated. 

Why can't you Upwork team just inform freelancers: that you will stop their account on a specific date and let people prepare for that without damaging freelancers's business? What's this aggressive action, blocking (restricting) someone's account disregarding whateverongoing business or job discussion they may have?

Your agents seem to have been trained to avoid questions and keep answering the same way to every query, like a broken record.

Unbelievable. Never seen anything like that.

Victor K Member Since: Aug 30, 2017
100 of 2,417

Too bad

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS