cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing video chat profile verification

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
31 of 2,353

Hi Christopher,

Web camera and a microphone are necessary to complete video verification. However, if you for any reasons don't have access to them, please reply to the notification the team sent you about the verification and they will assist you with completing the verification via alternative ways. Additionally, please note that at the moment only your ability to submit new proposals is limited. You are still able to continue working on your current contracts.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Grace C Member Since: Oct 28, 2016
32 of 2,353
The way this 'verification process' was conducted was very intrusive and disrespectful and as a freelancer, I do not feel that Upwork has my interests in mind. I had to allow access to my webcam and microphone but not the other party?? It felt very creepy because I did not even know who the person at the other end was.

To think that I was once an Upwork Huddle organiser, and they still did this to me.
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
33 of 2,353

Hi Grace,

I`m sorry that you felt this way and thank you for your feedback, I will share this with our team.
Just to confirm that this short process serves only to verify the information that you have already provided us/listed on your profile, all freelancers on Upwork will need to finish this process. Thank you!

Untitled
Nicole L Member Since: Jul 25, 2018
34 of 2,353

Upwork, 

I felt exactly the same way as the other freelancers. In your email, you did not present other options other than video call.  I could not see anyone on the other side. 

You also said this was a process every freelancer undertakes which I do not believe. It seems targeted. 

It was creepy and intrusive and threatening. I plan on reporting this. 

35 of 2,353

Sorry you felt this way about the verification process, Nicole. We'll forward feedback you shared to the team. Just to confirm, were you able to first chat with the agent before switching to the video call?

~ Valeria
Untitled
Subash S Member Since: Aug 16, 2018
36 of 2,353

Hi Valerie I am currently traveling and will not have ready access. What are the alternate modes? 

37 of 2,353

Hi Subash,

I checked your account and it doesn't look like currently you are required to complete video verification. The team will notify you when it's necessary. 

You may want to add a profile picture to your profile as soon as possible though.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Laurence B Member Since: Mar 14, 2018
38 of 2,353

And what about people who has no webcam?

This an abusive way, as people are not informed of the possibility of a video verification, when they begin to use Upwork. This is a site for internet jobs, we don't have to show our face and home.  

I have replied today that I had no webcam and that I can reply  without any problem by email.  

39 of 2,353

Hi Laurence,

I see you've already updated your ticket with this information. The team will get back to you directly via that ticket and provide an alternative way to verify information on your profile.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Laurence B Member Since: Mar 14, 2018
40 of 2,353

Hi Valerie K,

Thanks, it's OK now, by submittings documents on Upwork.