cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing video chat profile verification

Umar F Member Since: Jan 10, 2019
81 of 2,578

Hey. I got this message. I made a video call and the operator told me that you need to wait 48 hours after talking with him. It's been more than 48 hours, but my account is still blocked.Why is this happening and what is the maximum waiting period?

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
82 of 2,578

Hi Umar, 

I checked your account and I was not able to see this error message. Can you please log in and check again? Thanks!

-Joanne
Untitled
Umar F Member Since: Jan 10, 2019
83 of 2,578

Thanks to the upwork support they sorted everything for me

Christopher D R Member Since: Feb 17, 2018
84 of 2,578
Upwork, I understand wanting to verify accounts and I’m happy to do a video call with you. However your email threatens that if we (I) don’t give you access to my camera and microphone you’ll ban my account. How is that at all reasonable?

You should need access to my computer peripherals in any way for any reason. If the government is supposed to get court ordered warrants for that level of access.

And why are you asking for this now after I’ve landed my first contract on Upwork? Now you want to threaten to suspend my account? Why was more thorough verification not done when I was submitting proposals.

You need to come up with a less intrusive option. I’m guessing your plan is record the video and audio from these sessions so that you can automate this process. Well I for one will not participate in that.
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
85 of 2,578

Hi Christopher,

Web camera and a microphone are necessary to complete video verification. However, if you for any reasons don't have access to them, please reply to the notification the team sent you about the verification and they will assist you with completing the verification via alternative ways. Additionally, please note that at the moment only your ability to submit new proposals is limited. You are still able to continue working on your current contracts.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Grace C Member Since: Oct 28, 2016
86 of 2,578
The way this 'verification process' was conducted was very intrusive and disrespectful and as a freelancer, I do not feel that Upwork has my interests in mind. I had to allow access to my webcam and microphone but not the other party?? It felt very creepy because I did not even know who the person at the other end was.

To think that I was once an Upwork Huddle organiser, and they still did this to me.
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
87 of 2,578

Hi Grace,

I`m sorry that you felt this way and thank you for your feedback, I will share this with our team.
Just to confirm that this short process serves only to verify the information that you have already provided us/listed on your profile, all freelancers on Upwork will need to finish this process. Thank you!

Untitled
Nicole L Member Since: Jul 25, 2018
88 of 2,578

Upwork, 

I felt exactly the same way as the other freelancers. In your email, you did not present other options other than video call.  I could not see anyone on the other side. 

You also said this was a process every freelancer undertakes which I do not believe. It seems targeted. 

It was creepy and intrusive and threatening. I plan on reporting this. 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
89 of 2,578

Sorry you felt this way about the verification process, Nicole. We'll forward feedback you shared to the team. Just to confirm, were you able to first chat with the agent before switching to the video call?

~ Valeria
Untitled
Subash S Member Since: Aug 16, 2018
90 of 2,578

Hi Valerie I am currently traveling and will not have ready access. What are the alternate modes? 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS