cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The oDesk Money-Back Guarantee Beta - More Confidence for More Hiring

Ace Contributor
Salve A Member Since: Nov 26, 2013
101 of 120

Maybe this is a way of ODesk to attract Clients and Revenue. This would be a cost to oDesk, specially if they would pay high for 2 cycle billings.

On the other side, this is also good for Freelancers who have good performance to have jobs and would also make Client comfortable on the Freelancer they hired.

But this would not be good if a Client would make abuse of this Money Back Guaranteed by oDesk. ODesk will have to observed about this.

Unlike to non-online job like in office job, if ever the newly hired does not perform well, the Company would still pay the employee for the work he/ she rendered even if the Client is not satisified his/ her performance.

What is wrong in Online Job in oDesk is a Client or Freelancer could End the Contract even if if there is a valid or no valid reason at all, which is contrary to Office Job where an Employer should state a valid reason why should it fire an Employee or if an Employee would resign, it is in the Work Contract that he/ she would resign before at least one month of the end of work. Maybe oDesk should also apply this or make a policy, so that it would be minimized or prevented that a Client or Freelancer would end the contract even if no valid reason at all. This would also be beneficial for both Clients and Freelancers. Or if both do not end contract but Freelancers would AWOL, or a Client is not responding but the Freelancer still continue working, or Client woud pause the Contract, or Client hired but did not give any job to the Freelancer, or Client hired but suddenly changed mind and wanted to select another, etc. These are unfair to Freelancers since they are expecting tobe hired and already earn.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
102 of 120

@Salve A wrote:

Maybe this is a way of ODesk to attract Clients and Revenue. This would be a cost to oDesk, specially if they would pay high for 2 cycle billings.

On the other side, this is also good for Freelancers who have good performance to have jobs and would also make Client comfortable on the Freelancer they hired.

But this would not be good if a Client would make abuse of this Money Back Guaranteed by oDesk. ODesk will have to observed about this.

Unlike to non-online job like in office job, if ever the newly hired does not perform well, the Company would still pay the employee for the work he/ she rendered even if the Client is not satisified his/ her performance.

Salve,

Your comparison is comparing apples to oranges. If you worked outside oDesk as a freelancer and you did not perform well, it would be your responsibilty to collect the money that you did not get paid. Freelancers are business owners, not employees. So you would still be taking a risk. In fact a bigger risk if you did not have oDesk with the guarantees on  hourly and the escrow on fixed.

People you are not employees so you can't compare job security to a paid job which you would work for an employer. There is no guarantee of being paid if you were working off oDesk for yourself.

Sonia A Member Since: Apr 10, 2015
103 of 120

I have nothing to say. But i want to get this offer.

Richard H Member Since: May 2, 2015
104 of 120

Its a complete scam.

1) oDesk has lack of capital to provide such a service

2) The money back is offered only through the bank disputes department

3) oDesk will never give you "money-back".

4) My ticket has been open for 16 days or 17, and still no refunds. To review 20 screen shots - i know it wont take so long.

5) oDesk does not even care if the bank is going to be involved - indicating the huge shortage of the capital.

So stay away trusting this program. If something happens - as usuall better to block the card. if its too late - you may better involve the bank and dispute all the charges with the bank.

Otherwise, you will end up wasting thousand of dollars. 

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
105 of 120

My Freelancer rating just went to 100% and suddenly all my job offers now have this on it. One yesterday was a client with no Odesk history. Now how am I supposed to judge whether or not this is a client I would want to give this guarantee to? I ended up having to decline 2 jobs offers yesterday because of this.

I wrote customer support and asked to be taken out of the Money Back Guarantee. Great for the client but there are no guarantees for me and my rating and job success. The only way I would consider doing this is if I choose what clients I offer it to and Odesk Guarantees me that if there is a complaint it will in no way affect my rating or Job Success scores.

As usual, I'm still waiting for a reply from customer service.

Cristina T Member Since: May 10, 2015
106 of 120

Hello Smiley Happy

I would like to ask a Q please: based on what criteria a freelancer received this badge? 

I started a contract and received this badge but then i notived than on the next contarct i did not have it so i am a bit confused here...

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
107 of 120

Hi Cristina,

The program is job-specific. Even if you qualify on one job, you may not on another since the algorithm considers how well your skills and experience fit the job and client's requirements.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
108 of 120
Hi all,
Just a quick note that we have decided to retire the Money-Back Guarantee beta program.

We found during testing that this program did not make clients or freelancers feel more secure during the process of working together. Escrow and the oDesk guarantee (rebranded to Upwork Fixed-Price Protection and Upwork Hourly Protection) have proven to be much better ways for secure collaboration, so we are discontinuing the Money-Back Guarantee. 

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
109 of 120

Good.

Nick M Member Since: May 26, 2015
110 of 120
Hi Garnor, Thank you for the update. I wonder if this could be re-activated sometime in the future as an 'optional' feature that shortlisted freelancers could opt-in to? I kind of enjoyed the status while it lasted Smiley Happy
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS