Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Top Rated freelancer program - now live

Ace Contributor
Dejan H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
41 of 119

@Darrin O wrote:

Dejan,

 

I just went to look at your profile and I saw something rather strange: a number of hourly jobs that listed 0 hours worked, but they were all clearly paid for 2+ hours of work.  I don't know what's going on there, but oDesk really should fix whatever bug is making that stat look bad for you.

 


Hi Darrin

 

I ALWAYS prefer a fixed price job, and that is the reason why you see something like that. So it is not a bug at all. With fix-price jobs your client knows exactly how much it will cost him/her. And as I'm an editor, I know how many words I can edit per hour, so I can easily calculate and tell my client what I consider to be a fair price. 

 

However, oDesk thinks that I don't have long-term clients (I only have 4%), because when I finish a project, I close a contract (well at least I did that before), and often the same client contacts me and I do another job for him. But hey, that's not a long-term client, right? 

 

I thought that freelancing gave us a choice to work on our own terms, but I guess oDesk decided to take that from us as well.

 

Also, I'm probably the one to blame because I didn't beg my clients to give me a feedback. What was I thinking?

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
42 of 119

@Dejan H wrote:
I ALWAYS prefer a fixed price job, and that is the reason why you see something like that. So it is not a bug at all.

I meant it might be a bug from the perspective of oDesk calculating what makes for a succesful job.  If they see 0 hours, it might count against you regardless of the reality of the situation.

Active Member
Helal M Member Since: Jul 19, 2011
43 of 119

I am happy to see the Top Rated Freelancer message from oDesk and shown in my profile already. In the message there were few advantages mentioned. My question is that are there any more advantages being Top Rated Freelancer?

 

If you tell us more details of the benefits of Top Rated Freelancer then we will be grateful to you.

 

Thanks,

Helal

Ace Contributor
Dejan H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
44 of 119

I applied for a job and didn't get it, and that is perfectly fine. However, I was curious to see who got the job and I saw a freelancer with 12 completed jobs, 4,92 rating and 100% success rating, and she is considered as a top rated freelancer. And then we have, for example, a freelancer with 174 completed jobs with 4,97 rating, with only 76% job success and he is not top rated freelancer. 

 

I think your system works fantastic. Don't you?

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
45 of 119

@Dejan H wrote:

I applied for a job and didn't get it, and that is perfectly fine. However, I was curious to see who got the job and I saw a freelancer with 12 completed jobs, 4,92 rating and 100% success rating, and she is considered as a top rated freelancer. And then we have, for example, a freelancer with 174 completed jobs with 4,97 rating, with only 76% job success and he is not top rated freelancer. 

 

I think your system works fantastic. Don't you?


Dejan,

 

I think some of you are not giving the clients any credit here for who they choose. There are lots of factors besides how many jobs you have worked that have to do with your scores. 

 

How is your Job Success Score measured?

We look at many performance indicators, including:

  • public and private feedback
  • successful completion of work
  • client complaints
  • responsiveness levels
  • missed deadlines
  • disputes
  • long term client relationships
  • ... and more

 

I would like to know what the more is, but I doubt they are going to tell us everything they use to score us.

 

But you ask how someone with less jobs could be hired.....

 

Q: I have done 100s of jobs, so I might have more clients who have been dissatisfied but it’s only because I’ve done more jobs. Will my history of client satisfaction be worse than someone with only a few jobs?

Your Job Success Score takes into account the ratio of satisfied to dissatisfied clients, so you are fairly assessed based on how many jobs you’ve performed. We can tell the difference between having 10 unsatisfied clients over the course of 2 years and 100 contracts versus 2 months and 20 contracts. Satisfaction trends are important here, too. You want your ratio to be as good as or better now than it was last quarter or last year.

 

https://support.odesk.com/entries/23103173-How-do-I-improve-my-Job-Success-Score-

Ace Contributor
Dejan H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
46 of 119

1 - When you close a contract and the client doesn't provide you any feedback, oDesk counts that as a negative thing (I have about 50 jobs without any feedback).

2 - If a person prefers fix-priced jobs, the whole theory of long-term client drops. If I successfully finish a contract and my client decides to close it, and after a while he/she hires me again, oDesk doesn't count it as a long-term client.

 

I'm also well informed of everything you wrote in your comment, as I like to be informed. My point here is that the system is wrong, and we all know that. Someone who has 12 jobs so far is a top rated freelancer, and oDesk thinks that he/she is more qualified than a freelancer who had almost 200 jobs. Do you see my logic here?

 

And I will say something once again: oDesk needs to implement a rule to penalize clients who post jobs and don't do anything (especially now when connects are going to be introduced). Also, there should be a time frame in which clients must make their decision to hire someone or close a job. I would like to see if there is even one freelancer who isn't for this rule. 

 

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
47 of 119

@Dejan H wrote:

1 - When you close a contract and the client doesn't provide you any feedback, oDesk counts that as a negative thing (I have about 50 jobs without any feedback).

2 - If a person prefers fix-priced jobs, the whole theory of long-term client drops. If I successfully finish a contract and my client decides to close it, and after a while he/she hires me again, oDesk doesn't count it as a long-term client.

 

I'm also well informed of everything you wrote in your comment, as I like to be informed. My point here is that the system is wrong, and we all know that. Someone who has 12 jobs so far is a top rated freelancer, and oDesk thinks that he/she is more qualified than a freelancer who had almost 200 jobs. Do you see my logic here?

 

And I will say something once again: oDesk needs to implement a rule to penalize clients who post jobs and don't do anything (especially now when connects are going to be introduced). Also, there should be a time frame in which clients must make their decision to hire someone or close a job. I would like to see if there is even one freelancer who isn't for this rule. 

 


 Dejan,

 

You are wrong on if a client hires you again it is not counted as long term. 




@Valeria K wrote:

 

  

I would also like to clarify a couple of questions that came up on this thread.

 

"Long term and repeat clients" percentage is calculated based on the number of clients with whom you have worked continuously or received payments from for at least three months across any number of contracts.

 

Success score is based on a number of indicators: public and private feedback, successful completion of work, client complaints, responsiveness levels, missed deadlines, disputes, long term client relationships, etc. So make sure you respond to invites within 24 hours (decline is also considered a response), communicate well about all the terms and deadlines noting the details in the Message Center and deliver great work on time.

 

http://community.odesk.com/t5/Freelancers/My-Stats-page/td-p/63814/highlight/true/page/3


 Sorry posted this before I was finished. Dejan, whose fault is it you didn't ask the client for feedback? You are a grown up and ever since I have been on oDesk they have always emphasised that your feedback was important. So it was your responsibilty to ask them to leave you feedback. I ask my last client nicely if he would leave feedback for how I performed my job and he did. There was no pressure, no insinuation telling him he had to. I just nicely ask.

 

As far as whether a new person deserves to have the Top rated badge or not, I think eventually it will show if they deserve it or not. They can lose it just as fast as they earned it. 

 

I say again that you are not giving clients enough credit to make their own decisions as well.


There are other things involved besides the badges and ratings. 

 

How do the client and freelancer get along,

time constraints, and other factors on hiring someone. 

 

Yes I am sure they are going to look at overall to begin with but they are also going to use their own judgement.

 

 

Ace Contributor
Dejan H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
48 of 119

One more thing -- when you take a look at the list of freelancers who applied for a job and slide your mouse cursor and place it on one of them, it shows how many hours he/she had worked and NOW, it also shows his/her job success.

 

And my question is for Garnor: Why oDesk considers that the number of completed jobs is irrelevant? Why isn't that shown? Why do you discriminate people who prefer fix-price jobs? For example, I have completed 174 jobs so far, but I have only worked for 100 hours. So clients see my low job success and low number of hours. Why they don't see the total number of completed jobs? 

 

I would really like to get an answer.

Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
49 of 119

Hi Garnor,

Job Success score ! Here is my Feedback  Job Success score is working great!!! This is one of the best improvements oDesk has done.....

It's really up to other freelancers to get their scores up! I see no reason to complain about this cool feature......


Thanks oDesk this is a great help to me.

Ace Contributor
Sara P Member Since: Jul 22, 2010
50 of 119

Smiley Sad

I see no replies to the question I re-posted on page 4...

I guess that Suzanne's comment (thank you Woman Happycould be held valid, then

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS