cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Rated freelancer program - now live

Community Guru
Gabor K Member Since: Apr 1, 2015
81 of 119

This is pretty much fun - one of my potential jobs (for what I would have been a perfect candidate) has been just taken by a Top Rated person. Same country, same language & about the same areas of work - but only 3 jobs against my count of 38....and 230 hours (in 1 long-term job) against my 23 (I usually work by fixed-price contracts). This person has met the $1200-in-last-12-months requirement, by one job. 

How come this is fair with seasoned oDesk contractors out there? 
I, for the love of God, cannot think of other possibility of him winning this job, but the Top Rated badge on his profile. (The icing on the cake: his introductionary text on the profile consists of 5 words, while mine is a complete & informative one)

This is just an example of presumably many similar cases. Can we have an answer, please?

Ann B Member Since: Apr 8, 2015
82 of 119

Completely agree with you, Gabor! I was about it some day ago, but nobody listened to me. This system is very bad for those who are not Top-rated members from the very beginning, because they will be never become such. My only problem is now to fill in the history in the portfolio - and I'm Top. But for now it's now important for me, maybe important later. But I will never be Top.

I don't like this new system just because it's NOT fair.

Gabor K

Aamer S Member Since: Apr 21, 2015
83 of 119

Thanks oDesk, love the way you are working :-) Happy to see the green badge on my profile.

Ann B Member Since: Apr 8, 2015
84 of 119

Please, help! Either I'm doing something wrong, or I\m not looking at the right place. I have completely filled in my profile and have more than $1000 but when I open my profile, I don't see a green label stating that I'm a top freelancer. What's wrong?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
85 of 119

Hi Ann,

It looks like you do not have enough Work History for calculating your Job Success score and therefore are not eligible for the Top Rated program yet. Once you successfuly complete a few more jobs and meet all the requirements for the program, you will get the badge.

Best of luck!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Paulo F Member Since: May 8, 2015
86 of 119

I'd like to ask f the impact on new freelancers and, or, freelancer  never really had an opportunity to be awarded a job in Odesk (now Upwork) was taken into account.

While I am all for having some sort of screening for quality, having something in place that raises the entry bar even further to new freelancers doesn't seem a positive thing to me.

Maybe I am being bias because I never really was awarded a Job in Odesk, which speaks nothing about my professionalistm and work quality. I just have been more sucessfull in aquiring jobs in other freelancer websites, and privately. I have a healthy ratio of repeated business as well.

Here's what this will lead to, new freelancers located n Asia smashing prices even further, making it specially hard for EU/US talent to join Odesk.

As I said, maybe I am being bias, but doubtfuly more than a "top rated" freelancer on the other side of the fence.

Regards,

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
88 of 119

So what you're saying is, it's unfair because someone like you who's really good, but hasn't shown themselves to be really good on oDesk/Workup because you've work somewhere else, has to start at the bottom?

So maybe you could suggest  a simple alternative??

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
88 of 119

@Stephen B wrote:

So what you're saying is, it's unfair because someone like you who's really good, but hasn't shown themselves to be really good on oDesk/Workup because you've work somewhere else, has to start at the bottom?

Not just unfair, but unwise and unprofitable to Upwork.  Someone who comes here with the experience to make $100/hour is not going be scraping around at $10/hour.  They'll just go elsewhere, and leave the clients on Upwork to settle for whoever has been here longest (which is what all the current policies favor).

So maybe you could suggest  a simple alternative??

Promote newcomers to the extent needed to gather the statistical data necessary to see where they fit compared to other freelancers.  Stop introducing policies that are just new ways to keep promoting people who have already put in a lot of hours.  And stop making the site's silly tests a requirement to build a full profile; there are cheats everywhere, and I'm not going to be suckered into fairly playing a game I know to be rigged.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
89 of 119

@Darrin O wrote:

and leave the clients on Upwork to settle for whoever has been here longest (which is what all the current policies favor).

If the current policy favored those who've been here the longest, the JS wouldn't just look at the past 12-24 months, but take the entire Upwork history into account. I feel it's quite the opposite, and believe that current policies favor newcomers, as I've seen plenty of Upwork recommended freelancers with one or two $20 jobs and a 100% JS score. Seniority on the platform does not make anyone more qualified to do a job, but it is an indicator of longevity. Why 5+ years of a stellar repution no longer mean anything on here, is beyond me.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
90 of 119

@Krisztina U wrote:
If the current policy favored those who've been here the longest, the JS wouldn't just look at the past 12-24 months, but take the entire Upwork history into account.

Time is continuous, not discrete.  If you're being favored for the last 12 months, that means you're in a better position today to also be favored in 12 month's time.  That extends backwards and forwards for as long as you're active here.

I've seen plenty of Upwork recommended freelancers with one or two $20 jobs and a 100% JS score.

I don't believe that's true.  I've worked more than a few >$20 jobs here and it still tells me it doesn't have enough info to calculate a JS score.  If what you're saying is true, it supports the supposition that Upwork is more interested in selling sweatshop labor than world-class talent.

More to the point, whatever the site recommendations, the freelancer's job history comes from hires.  When I look at who the clients invite for most of the jobs I'm suitable for, they tend to go after people with a lot of buy-in on the oDesk/Upwork platform.

I'd ask someone from Upwork to provide some enlightening stats, but I'm still waiting to get the stats I was promised regarding Connects and canceled jobs.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS