cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two new features for freelancer Plus memberships

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 46

Starting this week, freelancers with a Plus membership plan will have two new features available to them: customized profile URLs and the option to keep earnings private.

Customized profile URLs

Easily share and promote your personal brand on Upwork with a distinct, customizable URL that you can use in your marketing communications. Find this option on the right-hand side of your profile.

Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 1.33.03 PM (1).png

Option to hide earnings

We’ve heard from many in our community about the importance of keeping your earnings private. While we don’t recommend hiding profile earnings due to research showing that customers with private earnings earn less than those with public earnings, we’ve heard from some freelancers that this option is critical.

With this update, freelancers on a Plus membership plan can enable this in profile settings. This includes individual freelancers, agency profiles and agency exclusive contractors’ earnings. When set to “Private” - The following information will be hidden on freelancer profile pages and on freelancer search results:

• Hourly rates on jobs listed in your Work history
    • Fixed-price budget amounts on jobs listed in your Work history

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 8.33.31 AM.png

Regardless of the setting, when a freelancer or agency submits a proposal or accepts an invitation, the rates in their Work History will be visible to the client. The client can view this information when clicking on your profile from their applicant list.

We hope you enjoy these new options and continue to benefit from the rest of the Plus features to help you more effectively market your services on Upwork. You can learn more in this help article.

Untitled
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
2 of 46

Thank you Lena.

I agree if will affect hiring and will greatly reduce my competition.

I won't be using it but I'd like to know if Upwork will be tracking any results.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
3 of 46

Re: hiding earnings: ... we’ve heard from some freelancers that this option is critical ...

That's an understatement, if I ever saw one.

And because it was such a popular request, you are offering this feature to people willing to pay for it. A great way to make money.

Will you also make proper invoices only available to freelancers prepared to spend money on them?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 46

Hi Ela,

As we shared before, our research shows that freelancers with public earnings earn more than those with private earnings so we do not suggest this setting be enabled for everyone. Those freelancers who feel strongly about this can enable this option by signing up for the Freelancer or Agency Plus plans.

Also, we will have an update about invoices this week, so stay tuned.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 46

I am glad that Upwork is offering the option to hide earnings.

I don't really understand why some contractors want to do this. I am not going to do this.

But for the sake of making Upwork a tool better liked by a certain portion of the user base, this is a welcome feature.

As for me, feel free to click on my profile and look at my complete history. Feel free to see how much I earned for every fixed-price job and see what my hourly rate was for every hourly contract, along with how many hours I worked.

Every bit of this was solid, honest work. If you see that I charge more these days than I originally charged, you're correct in your observation. It is because the work I do is in such high demand.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
6 of 46

Call me cynical, but I think this move is even more cynical than me.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
7 of 46

Then why again can/does Upwork - along with big/enterprise clients - hide the rates they pay their freelancers?

Community Guru
Alexander N Member Since: Dec 28, 2008
8 of 46

I am very curious, why is it so critical? Why any freelancer may be interested in hiding his/her earnings? Basically this is the main selling point: 'a lot of people paid a lot of money to me, so i must be good', isn't it?

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
9 of 46

@Alexander N wrote:

[…] Basically this is the main selling point: 'a lot of people paid a lot of money to me, so i must be good', isn't it?

+

'I keep raising my rates and clients keep hiring me, so I must be excellent, right'? Cat LOL

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
10 of 46
Alexander, I have 2 reason for hiding my earnings:

1. I do not want any of my financial info/details available online (to anyone with an Upwork account).

2. People keep trying to hire me at HALF my current rate and claim I'm too "expensive". I assume this is partly due to my work history before 2015.

Several clients who have tried to do this include those who are Upwork freelancers themselves.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS