Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two new features for freelancer Plus memberships

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
11 of 46

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:
Alexander, I have 2 reason for hiding my earnings:

1. I do not want any of my financial info/details available online (to anyone with an Upwork account).

2. People keep trying to hire me at HALF my current rate and claim I'm too "expensive". I assume this is partly due to my work history before 2015.

Several clients who have tried to do this include those who are Upwork freelancers themselves.

And probably also due (and I believe you won't feel offended...) to the fact that you're in Moçambique. I think there are clients thinking that in certain parts of the world people are not entitled to command rates according to their skills & experience.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
12 of 46

Definitely not offended because it's completely true and it's something I've mentioned before on the forums. And I'll go even further and add that people who haven't worked with me before think my English won't be good enough because of my skin color (oh there's no way I could be a native English speaker - one guy even demanded proof!).

Past earnings, location, etc. all play a factor here. I have had to explain to some people that a few of my contracts are at lower rates because they're inactive/long term. I'd rather that these kinds of people don't see what I earn at all.

Community Guru
Angela L Member Since: Oct 20, 2009
13 of 46

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

2. People keep trying to hire me at HALF my current rate and claim I'm too "expensive". I assume this is partly due to my work history before 2015.

Several clients who have tried to do this include those who are Upwork freelancers themselves.

This is one reason I wanted to hide my earnings too, but I now see that when you apply for a job the potential client is able to see all your past rate history. Still good to have the option to hide earnings from those who don't need to know.

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
14 of 46

Hi there,

I have a question. Is it possible to personalize the profile link?

It appears with a serie of numbers and looks very bad. I think it looks better if instead of numbers, our name or pseudonym or whatever else you choose appears. Not those so horrible numbers and letters.
I do not think so difficult. In other sites, or you get to choose the name or automatically created.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 46

Hi Maria,

You can customize your profile URL link as long as you are a Plus Plan member. Please, check out this help article for more information.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
16 of 46

Thanks Valeria.

I really had not seen aid. Perhaps because English is not my language, sometimes it costs me find topics.
I see you have to pay to customize the link.
Elsewhere, despite being "basic" it is free to have it, in fact, or is automatic or you get to choose the name you want to put.
I will continue with my list of numbers and letters Smiley Sad

Vilen M Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
17 of 46

Valeria do you really think all around are aliens
"our research shows that freelancers with public earnings earn more than those with private earnings"
how did you do research if upwork/odesk never had this feature? with whom do you compare it ? 0 users who hide earnings and milion who don't? of course in that case you right but don't you find it a "bit" strange?
Also why people should pay for it ? Since merge with elance upwork seem to be only concentrated on one single thing which is how to squeeze more money from freelancers.
It would be much better if upwork would concentrate on big problem that serous clients are leaving this platform because professional freelancers are no longer have advantage.
Of course it is critical to give ability to hide earnings, I see no reason why my neighbor should see how much do I earn. This information only useful for clients and I am ok to show it to my potential employer but in no circumstances to everyone else.

This widget could not be displayed.
18 of 46
This widget could not be displayed.

I have changed my settings yesterday but the earnings are still visible.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
19 of 46

Hi Margarete,

I can confirm your earnings are now private, please see the screenshot in the private message I sent you.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
20 of 46

Margarete and others,

I would like to clarify that if you selected the option to hide your earnings, they will not be displayed to other users viewing your profile. We do, however, found an issue with earnings showing on "View my profile as others see it" page and we are working to fix it this week.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS