cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreasonable Feedback–Respond Don’t Hide

Ayesha S Member Since: Nov 22, 2009
1 of 23
Hello everyone, We understand that feedback plays a vital role in your freelancing career. Both clients and freelancers consider feedback very seriously when making the decision to work with one another. But, when that feedback is hidden, it often causes more harm than good–removing valuable information from the community, making it harder to find the highest performing freelancers, and often resulting in a big red flag when the comment was just slightly negative. At the same time, this community has long asked for a way to respond to unreasonable feedback. In order to make feedback more meaningful and transparent, we are giving users a way to respond to feedback rather than hide it. Any past feedback comments you have hidden will remain hidden, but going forward we are retiring the option to make feedback comments private and in its place, we are offering a Feedback Response option. The Process: If a client leaves feedback that you as a freelancer believe is undeserved (or vice versa), you can now leave a response to the feedback and explain your side of the story. You can respond only after the initial feedback comments are made public - which happens once both parties have left feedback, or fourteen days since the contract was closed. You will have twenty eight days to post a response once the contract closes. When a future client reviews a freelancer’s work history (or vice versa), rather than making their own assumptions after seeing that a past feedback comment was hidden, they will get a more complete picture of what transpired. Because we know how important feedback is to this community, we will be releasing this feature gradually over the next couple weeks, starting with a small number of users. If you don’t see the option to respond to feedback yet, don’t worry, it will be there soon. Please note, we will still remove feedback that violates our policies. What Happens to Past Hidden Comments? If you have made a feedback comment private in the past, it will remain hidden; the new feature will apply to contracts going forward that you or your client end. Learn more here - for freelancers and for clients. As always, we welcome your feedback and questions. Happy Working the oDesk Crew.
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
Homayun K Member Since: Jan 15, 2014
2 of 23
Thanks for this step But i have a question About auto hide job application . I have applied my skill related job but odesk still hide my application . I say strongly it is a big mistake of odesk . Please increase more for strong judgement of job application . Best regards Homaun
Pawel K Member Since: Nov 8, 2006
3 of 23
This is something that I've been waiting for for a few years. Smiley Happy I brought up the subject a couple times before. Frankly, the feedback system is more important to freelancers than to clients (they pay, they will most likely find other "victims" Smiley Wink to do their work), but a freelancer's reputation can be ruined by a single negative comment, especially on a big long-term project. Imagine that you're working for six months for somebody - they are happy with your work (they're telling you that all the time) and then Something Bad happens. The client doesn't like you anymore and gives you a bad rating just because of that issue. So it was 5 months of great cooperation with a 5 star rating (if you were to be rated at that time) and then you get slammed with a 1 star rating just because you had an argument at the end. The people looking at your profile will see the clients' unfair comment. If you hide it, it's a red flag for potential customers. But now you can explain what happened and state the comment and rating are unfair in your eyes. If your explanation is good enough - new prospects will believe it and it will alleviate the unfair rating. Disclaimer: it did not happen to me, but I was close once. Smiley Happy I am both a freelancer and I hire people on oDesk so I get to see both sides of the fence.
Eric Jay P Member Since: Oct 10, 2011
4 of 23
well this one update i think is good, as that scenario just happen to me the other day. i have done the work based on his given example and i have even shared screen to him my start of work and said its great. after i have sent the project his not communicating for three months. he just said the other day that my work was wrong and removed me from his skype and not heard a word since. this update would really be great for each prospective client and most to frelancers.
Gina F Member Since: Sep 4, 2013
5 of 23
My first and only bad review was from a woman that bought and paid for all four stories that I wrote for her. Then she told me she couldn't pay me as much because they weren't very good. I found out later that she does the same thing on oDesk that I do! She is applying to some of the jobs that I do! She bought my work from me and sold it to somebody else as her own!! She gave my feedback as bad quality so she could get it cheaper, I think. Why would she pay for and keep all four of my stories if they were bad? After that I couldn't apply to certain jobs because I didn't have a 4.5 average.
Shrikant N Member Since: Sep 13, 2013
6 of 23
oDesk now becoming elance Smiley Wink
Community Leader
Mahmudur R Member Since: Jan 14, 2014
7 of 23
I welcome the new step and like to thank oDesk for being wise by thinking the both ends of the problem (clients and freelancers)! But the thing is still confusing that how far the step is going to solve the existing problem. In fact, the only thing can cheer up thousands of skilled contractors is if oDesk considers the bad effect of Auto Hidden process and let them get back the work flow I would welcome much another step if they post explaining detail of the reasons that keep hiding all applications of so many skilled contractors and also the way to overcome from the greatest barrier of freelancer’s oDesk career Regards
Mahmud
Syed Mohammad S Member Since: Nov 18, 2012
8 of 23
Nobody is perfect in this world and we don't buy anything which has slitest amount of dent on it.so I don't believe feedback response system will do any better to a freelancer. The system will allow employees to abuse freelancers and destroy his/her career. The current system still allows to view the rating so no hidden things here to mislead any employee. Moreover we don't seek feedback on paper based résumé.I strongly oppose it.
Nasir A Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
9 of 23

I just suffered from one such abuse. Where I created a very good design for the marketing campaign of a company and I got a very bad rating in response to it. I do not like the feature that before we make a feedback we can't see the feedback given by the client. I always tend to give clients good feedback but if they are making it a crap for the kind of quality work I do for them then I have the right to actually give a proper feedback the one they deserve. 

Malithi W Member Since: Apr 15, 2013
10 of 23
I think this new feature will be really beneficial for us freelancers. Thank you oDesk. [quote=Pawel K.] the feedback system is more important to freelancers than to clients [/quote] I can't agree more. It's always good to have a chance to explain a poor feedback, reasonable or unreasonable. On the other hand, I think it is very important not to use this feature to abuse a person who has given a poor feedback. Happy freelancing Smiley Happy