🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Upcoming Changes allow Freelancers to Edit Mi...
Page options

Upcoming Changes allow Freelancers to Edit Milestones

lenaellis
Community Member

We are thrilled to share that in June freelancers will have the ability to propose new milestones and propose changes to existing unfunded milestones on active contracts. This has been a longstanding request, we know many of you have been asking for the ability to add, delete and reorder milestones for a long time now.

With this new change freelancers will be able to:

• Add new milestones
  • Change the amount on existing upcoming milestones that are not funded
  • Change the due date on existing upcoming milestones that are not funded
  • Reorder existing upcoming milestones
  • Delete existing upcoming milestones

This new change to milestones gives freelancers and clients the ability to plan out their projects better and streamline communication around milestones.

Freelancers will see a new “Add/Edit Milestones” button in the contract room of their existing fixed-price contracts. Once a milestone change request is submitted to a client, clients can then approve or deny requests.

Add edit milestones.png

As a best practice, we recommend you discuss any additions or changes to milestones with your client before adding or editing a milestone. Communication is important.

We hope this improves your experience and as always let us know if you have any questions or feedback.

31 Comments
kbadeau
Community Member

This is SO exciting! I can't wait for it to take effect... I have a milestone I'm itching to create. 🙂

celine-simon
Community Member

Any updates on when this will be implemented? Is it still on track to roll out in June? 

eilean
Community Member

Upwork sent out an email in May saying "starting in June, freelancers will be able to propose new milestones" and "Freelancers will see a new "Add/Edit Milestones" button in the contract room of their existing fixed–price contracts."

I have an open contract with a client and he wants me to do more work. I want to use the new feature described above and add a milestone to our contract (to save him from having to do it). However, I don't see an "add/edit milestones" option for our contract. Has this feature been enabled for freelancers yet?

Thanks!

AveryO
Community Manager

Hi Eilean, 

Thank you for following up on this feature. Once this feature has been rolled-out, we will post about it on the Announcement board. Once this feature is available, you can add/edit milestones by following the steps below. 

• Go to “My Jobs” and click on the contract.
  • Scroll down the page and click "Add/Edit Milestones." (If there are no milestones set up beyond the active one, the button will say "Add Milestones.")
  • Add, edit or reorder milestones.
  • Add a detailed message for your client -- this will help ensure they understand the changes you are proposing.
  • Click "Send Request for Approval" to send the requested changes to the client.

I'm also noting that I have merged your thread on the announcement post about this new feature. If you have other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

eilean
Community Member

Thanks Avery! You have answered my question. 

VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi all,

As an update, we're excited to announce that we're gradually rolling out the option for freelancers to propose new and suggest edits to existing milestones on all active Fixed-Price contracts! As mentioned in Lena's opening post, freelancers who already have this ability today will see a new “Add/Edit Milestones” button in the contract room of their existing fixed-price contracts.

This was one of the more frequently requested features so we're eager to hear your feedback!

thenativeknd
Community Member

It's really very good news, especially for me. I was waiting for this feature for a long time. 100 times thanks for such a wonderful feature.

ebsm
Community Member

It would be really cool if freelancers could make additional milestones once a contract is underway. Whilst being able to propose additional milestones at the start of the contract is a welcome addition, the ability to create additional milestones once a project has started (at the freelancer side) is a great way to allow freelancers to help thier clients. This feature was there in elance, it not only makes the process easier for new clients but it also helps possible upsells on new work. Please could this suggestion be forwarded, thanks! 😄

kbadeau
Community Member

Chris M wrote:

It would be really cool if freelancers could make additional milestones once a contract is underway. Whilst being able to propose additional milestones at the start of the contract is a welcome addition, the ability to create additional milestones once a project has started (at the freelancer side) is a great way to allow freelancers to help thier clients. This feature was there in elance, it not only makes the process easier for new clients but it also helps possible upsells on new work. Please could this suggestion be forwarded, thanks! 😄

That's what this is! I am so excited to try it this week (I got my notice yesterday that I can try it now). I have a client I've been working with over a year who just HATES having to go in and mess with the Upwork stuff, so if I'm able to do it for him he is going to be so happy. I was always afraid he'd leave Upwork (and me!) because he hates the interface so much.

dimensiondesign
Community Member

I used this feature for the first time to add and edit milestones on an ongoing contract a few weeks ago. This week I went to edit the milestones for a different contract (after the client and I spoke about it and added more work) and the only option available was to add a milestone, not edit the existing one. The client also said that they couldn't edit the milestones or budget (or maybe they just didn't know how). Is this feature only available for certain clients, circumstances or contracts?

Thanks!