cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to Connects

Highlighted
Vishal K Member Since: May 3, 2016
291 of 1,321

Here are some points that can really make upwork a lot better for freelancers.

1. Jobs should get expired after 30 days and if the client did not hire anyone in that duration, connects should be refunded. 

2. Clients with UNVERIFIED PAYMENT METHOD should not be allowed to post on upwork. Make this a mandatory thing for clients to verify their credit card before they can actually post a job here on upwork. (a lot of spammy job posts out there with unverified payment methods promising to pay $10000+ per month)

3. Give us the accurate information on how you are going to allocate connects on hourly jobs with no budget specified? It can be $49 OR $601+.

4. UW should make sure that if freelancers are spending their hard earned money to buy connects, they should not go to the spammy job posts where the client or the ghost never contacts. 

Please, for once, think from a freelancer's perspective Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nicholas K Member Since: May 11, 2016
292 of 1,321

I don't believe that this change will be beneficial for the community. The process with Connects surely needed (and still needs) improvement however, to my opinion, paying for all the connects and even spending up to 6 connects to bid for some projects, might create more problems than the problems it will solve. Furthermore, the move was so abrupt. Probably, Upwork could start with lowering the free connects let's say to 30 and then freelancers to pay let's say $2-3 for a package of 10 connects. I am a top rated freelancer here, however if I was about to start today and explore the platform, most likely, I would not invest my cents to buy connects especially if it takes effort and time to get awarded with your first project(s). Even now that I am top rated, probably I will bid on less jobs than before, which means that I will miss some opportunities (since in many cases that there are not many details explained noone is really sure about whether the job is really good before he discusses the main details with the client!!!).
On another point, I really hope that after this move the $4-$5 jobs will be disappeared from the platform since I can't imagine that freelancers will spend their connects (and effort) to bid for a project that will bring them a net amount of less than $3.50 - $4.00...  Having said that, probably work will become more expensive for clients out of this upcoming change.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
J.A. F Member Since: Jan 24, 2017
293 of 1,321

Did you see that E-mail that I just got about Upwork now wanting you to PAY multiples of fifteen cents to submit every proposal now, unless the client invited you to make a proposal, and freelancers will now have to spend as much as $5 a month to look for work?  Seriously.  You can't get them on the phone, they've done away with the Live Chat, but they want you to PAY for the privilege of submitting to prospective clients!  Man, if there's a way for someone to stick their hands in your pocket, they'll always find it.  Smiley Mad  

Highlighted
Luis d Member Since: Jun 12, 2018
294 of 1,321

Exactly, like they're not making enough money with the 20% fee and the $0.99 per withdrawl comission.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
295 of 1,321

There!  Exactly!  Not to mention the five days you have to wait to be able to lay a hand on a cent that you've earned after they've taken their bite out of it!  This just has me burning.  

Highlighted
Daniel Guillermo B Member Since: Jul 24, 2015
296 of 1,321

Luis d wrote:

Exactly, like they're not making enough money with the 20% fee and the $0.99 per withdrawl comission.

I thought exactly the same. The argument that they give to have to pay the connects is as hypocritical as the one they give to switch your profile in private if you have not been hired in a month.

Highlighted
Viktoria K Member Since: Jul 5, 2016
297 of 1,321

Absolutely agreed.  I hate nothing more than greed and this is the finest example. I've personally overall had good experience working via Upwork, but this change just screams of greed. I understand they want to limit the low-quality spammy proposals but it actually hurts the high-quality freelancers who are legitimately looking for a job. Honestly, it's so controversial to ask for money from people who are LOOKING to earn money... 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Ibrahim M Member Since: Dec 6, 2014
298 of 1,321

it's all started back when they proposed the connects system in first place but back then they promised to keep the free plans and that this premium is really a kind of extra and people took the bait, then the fees increased, now this and it will keep going....

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
299 of 1,321

Greedy, sneaky, AND manipulative.  Talk about my least favorite combination of traits.  

Highlighted
Uzair U Member Since: Oct 15, 2015
300 of 1,321
Upwork is going craaazzyyy
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS