cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to Connects

Ace Contributor
Rocio G Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
261 of 1,321

LOL! I kid you not,I thought it was a joke at first...

Cromwell Mel F Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
262 of 1,321

$ £ € people: iTs So ChEaP, aLsO pReVenTs LoW bIdDeRs, I dOnT uSe CoNnEcTs AnYmOrE, I gEt InViTeD.

Every other currency else that has atleast 50x exchange rate for 1 $/£ / € : No! it ain't!

And then the client didn't hire anybody, didn't close any job posting, no one get a refund of their connects, people suing Upwork for mal-business practice.

A genuine heart-felt client would eventually find a way to pay their freelancer's outside Upwork, Upwork is good for new inexperienced clients with no connections to ask for referals and such.  No wonder other freelancing platforms are popping-up like daisies, once other fairer platforms take track people will jump ship, competition is healthy that includes  freelancing platforms, monopoly is just bad.
Hessien Z Member Since: Dec 25, 2018
263 of 1,321

April Fool's?

Guilherme Mateus D Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
264 of 1,321

Well, I understand why this is happening, and I also know that you guys must have thought about this a lot before coming with this particular solution.

But my feeling is that a better solution would be to restrict newcomers from spamming proposals, either giving less connects for new accounts and "rising stars" or by setting a rule that allows just one or two proposals every hour.

I get that clients don't enjoy being flooded by proposals, but I see the risk that freelancers may abandon the platform, since you are asking for more money in order to make proposals, but you are not lowering the percentage that you ask after a client payment. In my humble opinion another solution would be to give free conects for freelancers who successfully work with clients, or to lower the taxes from upwork so newcomers don't feel like they are being taxed twice.

Either way, talking about my own experience, I would never work in a platform that asks me to pay before I get my first client. The internet is full of scam, and I just recently started to trust upwork because I got a client, got paid and became convinced that yes, this site works. But if I enter the new site, and I have to pay up for the chance to test the platform, I will not do it.

And I think a lot of people will think the same. That may become a problem in the future, where clients may find that upwork don't have new talents entering the platform, only the same group of freelancers over and over again.

Well, that's just my opinion, based in my lack of experience. I hope everything goes well in the end.

Earid A Member Since: May 12, 2015
265 of 1,321

I welcome this feature, it will reduce effortless job biddings/spam biddings. For $12 contractors can get 80 connects, if you are serious on making money through Upwork it's not a big amount. Kudos to UW.

Douglas T Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
266 of 1,321

I agree with that but I'm also serious about not getting ghosted 95-98% of the time and not hearing a dang word from anyone when I do apply. So, basically, how I see this is money going down a black hole.

Faruku S Member Since: Sep 14, 2016
267 of 1,321
Some freelancers don't have money to start with
Faruku S Member Since: Sep 14, 2016
268 of 1,321
When I started Upwork, about three years ago, I was with nothing because time I spent four months without an income locally. I was being helped by family and friends. I am into animation. My job is not popular and valued in my town. So, I decided to look for jobs online, full time job. I now came across different freelancing site which I registered with. But I couldn't bid because I couldn't afford it then. This was why I found out about Upwork and started working.

Most of the new freelancers from Africa and some part of Asia will not be happy with this development
Hafiz Maqsood A Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
269 of 1,321

Why are you saying this change will be beneficial for top rated freelancer ? Why do not you say that you want to make more money. ? Because the reason you explained could be handled with many other ways.
Why do not you cancel the membership of those freelancers who sumbit proposal to unrelated jobs and who are not using their connects or inactive.
Why we top rated freelancer should have been charged for the act of such freelancer who do not submit proposal to relavant job? Why did not you make plan to get ride of those freelancers. ?
If employer does not want huge proposal or irrelvant proposal, you can restrict those freelancers by some criteria limitation.

Arman D Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
270 of 1,321

Hello! I have a suggestion for Upwork.

Clients often create a lot of job posts and don't hire anyone, because they don't lose anything from it. Considering new changes of connections for freelancers, I propose to return the connections back if nobody is hired for a job post.

If you care so much about clients, please take care of freelancers too.

Thanks!