cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to Connects

Maria G Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
281 of 1,321

It has been 4 years since you rolled out the 60 free connects per month rule because of the same reasons you are mentioning now. It seems that you still have the same problem - so you want to fix it by letting us pay before getting paid?!? It most certainly feels like we are being punished for something beyond our control! 

Douglas T Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
282 of 1,321

This has to be one of the dumbest business decisions I have seen UpWork do. I am still trying to get one of my first projects on here and this completely ruins the experience. Now I have fork out more money (even with a subscription) to likely get a NO?!

I can confidently say 95-98% of all entries I put in are ghosted and not a dang person responds back. You've made it 10x harder, especially for new people trying to get off the ground here. This decision was highly and poorly thought out. So, now, I'm going to likely have to pay $0.90 for each potential job now in order to get ghosted likely every time. PURE GREED!

Disclaimer: Most of the positions I have to apply for are more than $500 so this completely screws me and many others over. Congrats on a terrible business move. Smiley Mad

Ace Contributor
Davide O Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
283 of 1,321

What a pile of garbage.

Not only clients and job posting are already in the worst state possible with zero moderation and not being curated at all to begin with (just take a look at the quality of the most recent job postings for writing articles, graphic design and such);

If that wasn't enough, freelancers having to constantly double and triple check the client itself, his/her company, make sure it's not a scam (and if the guy doesn't have a payment method verified, well, let's throw a dice or ask the is-this-a-scam crystal ball, except now it's gonna start costing us actual money?! What the heck?!) is just another low-blow towards hard working freelancers, I'm sorry to say.

Plus, wasn't the huge 20% cut enough? Now Upwork wants to cash in on even more desperate people who try to send as many proposals as they can (New freelancers mostly), gambling away their money for a chance at an interview? Really? This is the scummiest thing I've read in a long while...and their "reasoning" behind it? God...

"Clients have also told us they are often overwhelmed with the number of proposals they receive"

Well what about making so the client can choose a set amount of expertise or filter in some way said proposals? Oh wait, they can already do this by themselves...test scores, job history, rating, JSS, top rated/rising talent badges and such.

Why put this huge "paywall" on the freelancer's hands...why add yet another payment to their plate? Because clients don't wanna get bothered by "spam proposals" they can easily filter out (and if they cannot, why are you not working towards THAT instead)?

This won't improve anything, except now clients will most likely not find what they want and when/if an interview doesn't end well, it's gonna lead to an even sourer taste (if wasting a ton of time with some "professional" clients wasn't enough) and will discourage many people to keep proposing (even if they would fit a specific job post, they'll still face the usual freelancer-world-competition and won't get the job 100%).

What about getting rid of 5$ jobs with "Expert-$$$" requirements? What about actually improving that side of the platform instead of letting US pay for...no improvement whatsoever? Because some clients whined that they got too many proposals? Big whoop I say, get your stuff together and deal with it.

I seriously hope Upwork reconsiders this change, altough they love money too much to care at all, especially when it's about the freelancers.

April fool's was yesterday guys, you came a little late with that one.

Ace Contributor
Rocio G Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
284 of 1,321

Davide O wrote:

What a pile of garbage.

Not only clients and job posting are already in the worst state possible with zero moderation and not being curated at all to begin with (just take a look at the quality of the most recent job postings for writing articles, graphic design and such);

If that wasn't enough, freelancers having to constantly double and triple check the client itself, his/her company, make sure it's not a scam (and if the guy doesn't have a payment method verified, well, let's throw a dice or ask the is-this-a-scam crystal ball, except now it's gonna start costing us actual money?! What the heck?!) is just another low-blow towards hard working freelancers, I'm sorry to say.

Plus, wasn't the huge 20% cut enough? Now Upwork wants to cash in on even more desperate people who try to send as many proposals as they can (New freelancers mostly), gambling away their money for a chance at an interview? Really? This is the scummiest thing I've read in a long while...and their "reasoning" behind it? God...

"Clients have also told us they are often overwhelmed with the number of proposals they receive"

Well what about making so the client can choose a set amount of expertise or filter in some way said proposals? Oh wait, they can already do this by themselves...test scores, job history, rating, JSS, top rated/rising talent badges and such.

Why put this huge "paywall" on the freelancer's hands...why add yet another payment to their plate? Because clients don't wanna get bothered by "spam proposals" they can easily filter out (and if they cannot, why are you not working towards THAT instead)?

This won't improve anything, except now clients will most likely not find what they want and when/if an interview doesn't end well, it's gonna lead to an even sourer taste (if wasting a ton of time with some "professional" clients wasn't enough) and will discourage many people to keep proposing (even if they would fit a specific job post, they'll still face the usual freelancer-world-competition and won't get the job 100%).

What about getting rid of 5$ jobs with "Expert-$$$" requirements? What about actually improving that side of the platform instead of letting US pay for...no improvement whatsoever? Because some clients whined that they got too many proposals? Big whoop I say, get your stuff together and deal with it.

I seriously hope Upwork reconsiders this change, altough they love money too much to care at all, especially when it's about the freelancers.

April fool's was yesterday guys, you came a little late with that one.

What would Upwork do if we all contacted our clients to inquire about how they actually felt with all of these changes taking place and how many of those "clients" were actually considered for this move.  I have actually had clients who have provided bonuses when they're under the impression that they're paying a bonus to cover Upwork's fee for the project (because they're satisfied with a job) but who don't realize that Upwork also takes 20% of that bonus, due to their greed. There is something absolutely wrong with this move.  At first when I joined Upwork, I thought the the 20% was okay (they take their cut for "screening" clients in a way), but this has "greed" written all over it.  

Community Leader
Gary Val T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
285 of 1,321

Preach it, sister! You have absolutely, positively, hands-down, flat-out nailed it!

Unfortunately UpWork doesn't care. Man Frustrated

Reminds me of what happened years ago at Elance when they started screwing with the freelancers. Many of us finally had enough and there was a mass exodus. The problem now is that UpWork has pretty much cornered the market for this kind of a site and they pretty much have us where they want us. They know there's really nowhere else we can go that's any better than what we have here. It's all about greed. That's the long and the short of it.

Can you imagine what would happen if some other company started a site like this and did everything right that UpWork does wrong? OMG! There would soon be no one left at UpWork. But it would take someone who already has some pretty deep pockets to get a startup like that going. So I'm not holding my breath. We'll just have to suck it up like good slaves and thank our masters for the morsels they so graciously bestow upon us. Amen.

Ace Contributor
Badr E Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
286 of 1,321

Why not charging clients to post a job? why not charging them a symbolic price of 1$ or 2$ so only serious clients will post a job? many clients just post jobs without even hiring and we waste our connects already on nothing.

Many clients post jobs with random budget like $1234, why you should charge us 6 connects for a client that in the end will hire for $50 or $20 real budget.

Guys, are you sure you have inteviewed exprienced freelancers about this? because all i see is you don't know anything about the market on Upwork. I'm here since 2013 and things are getting worse.

Ace Contributor
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 1, 2018
287 of 1,321
  • Why not charging clients to post a job? why not charging them a symbolic price of 1$ or 2$ so only serious clients will post a job? many clients just post jobs without even hiring and we waste our connects already on nothing.

That's actually a nice idea -- charge a token amount that could be (fully? partially?) refunded if the job is closed with or without hiring.  That way, connects are returned to freelancers and you'd discourage low-effort job listings.

Billy O Member Since: Oct 16, 2018
288 of 1,321
Really? Upwork!

Is it because your employees need a salary increment?

I'm sure this move is aimed at something.

It's either, you people want to eliminate Africans or Asians.

Mark my words. The worst devils of all times are these people viewed as gods.
MD Nur E A Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
289 of 1,321

It's good news!

Eduard M Member Since: Oct 23, 2018
290 of 1,321

Maybe just lower the free connects like 30 instead of making it hard on newbies to even think they can make it on your website I think you should give this thought of yours up in general but the written above is also an option. Please don't make it harder than it already is.