cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to Connects

Daniel B Member Since: Apr 12, 2019
21 of 1,321

I will maybe try some other freelancing sites. Can you recommend any ones that are good to work with?

In the meantime, I'll use up my connnects, and then let the clients that used my services know where to find me if they want additional work done.  It won't  be through UpWork.

Spencer A Member Since: May 3, 2019
22 of 1,321

Totally agree my friend. To make this change without reducing fees elsewhere demonstrates the greed of Upwork management. Then I looked into the background of said management.

Daniel B Member Since: Apr 12, 2019
23 of 1,321

I agree entirely with that response.

Community Leader
Gary Val T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
24 of 1,321

Simone wrote: The new Connect strategy will make Upwork look even more like a scam to real pros

Yup. UpWork is now likely to acquire the same scammy reputation as those long-despised vanity press "publishers" who charge an arm and a leg for services that other, more legitimate, companies offer for much less. In the world of self-publishing, those vanity presses have taken a huge hit over the past several years due to people spreading the word via social media. Imagine how massively successful a freelancing portal (like UpWork) would be if they did everything right that UpWork does wrong (from a freelancer's perspective). In my opinion, even with UpWorks outrageous 20% commission, UpWork could still save itself from being perceived as a scam company by simply doing two things:

1. Let the connects remain free but reduce the number of the free connects alotted to each freelancer. (Rationale: With connects being a limited resource, freelancers will be more selective in how they use the connects.)

2. Allow freelancers to ask questions of clients regarding the full details of a project before having to use any connects. (Rationale: This would reduce the number of wasted connects for applying to projects that are so vague that it's difficult (if not impossible) to know if the project is even within the freelancer's capacity to perform the job.)

There are other things (besides the two mentioned here) that UpWork could do to improve the platform they've created but these two suggestions would be a GREAT start. Yes, I know. I'm dreaming. I'll wake up when the new "paid connects" system is in place and will continue to slog my way through the murky mess along with everyone else. At least until something better comes along. I'm just sayin'. Smiley Frustrated

Ashley H Member Since: Feb 14, 2015
25 of 1,321

Perfect.  I've been screaming for these 2 things forever.  It makes no sense not to implement them.  My jaw dropped when I heard Upwork say they noticed a problem of people submitting too many proposals, and the feel the way to stop that is to force freelancers to pay for connects instead of reducing the number of connects.  Mindblowing.  

Md. Ashfak S Member Since: Oct 8, 2010
26 of 1,321
I agree with you! This new policy will be the reason of upwork's downfall.
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
27 of 1,321
So you're all here trying to tell me that $10-$20 for connects a month will break your bank account?

If you really think that 10 more dollars is a great deal of money then you're probably not understanding how you can take advantage of this platform and how valuable it is.
Community Guru
Alexander N Member Since: Dec 28, 2008
28 of 1,321

Exactly. Upwork wants to say us: "those of you for who $0.15-$0.9 is more valuable than half an hour of your time you'd spend writing that proposal, are no longer welcome here", which is hardly a bad message. After all, the minimum hourly rate here is $3. There are other services for people of that category, like (i'm sure it won't even be redacted/censored), the Mechanical Turk.

Cristian M Member Since: Sep 22, 2015
29 of 1,321

10$-20$ from each of us. That is the real issue. No other platform does that.

Peter F Member Since: May 4, 2016
30 of 1,321

Wassim T,

Are you familiar with the phrase,"It's not the money it's the principle?"

Many of the reasons Upwork gives for going to this "Pay To Play" environment just don't hold water.  If they feel the marktplace is flooded and too many freelancers are submitting propsals then simply reduce the amount of free connects.

I agree it's a good platform to find freelance work but when you're paying 20% commission on almost every job you do another $10-$20 a month feels like a money grab. Most of the work I do is for small clients and is typically one-off jobs.  

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS