🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Changes to Upwork pricing (June 2016)
Page options

Changes to Upwork pricing (June 2016)

rgpearson
Community Member

Greetings Upwork Community. I’m Rich Pearson, head of Marketing and Categories here at Upwork. I’d like to highlight an announcement we’ve posted today on our blog and that we’ll be sending you via email in the coming days.

First, on behalf of everyone at Upwork, I wanted to thank you for your business and involvement in the Community. I hope that after taking some time to review the supporting material you’ll understand our motivation for these changes: to align our fees with the size of the freelancer-client relationship and cover our payment costs. These changes will enable us to increase our investment in making Upwork an even better place for you to get work done.

Below is a very short summary of what we announced today.

Thanks,

Rich

For freelancers:

Beginning in June, freelancers will see a sliding service fee of either 5%, 10% or 20%. The service fee is based on a freelancer’s lifetime billings with each client (across all hourly and fixed-price contracts the freelancer has ever had with that client on Upwork).

You’ll pay:

• 20% for the first $500 a freelancer bills a client across all contracts with that client
  • 10% for total billings with a client between $500.01 and $10,000
  • 5% for total billings with a client that exceed $10,000

For more discussion and frequently asked questions about this change click here.

For clients:

Beginning in June, clients will be charged a 2.75% fee on each payment they make to a freelancer.  Note, some clients in certain geographies may be eligible to pay a monthly processing fee rather than a per-payment fee.

For more discussion and frequently asked questions about this change click here.