🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Upcoming test to display hourly ranges on job...
Page options

Upcoming test to display hourly ranges on job posts

lenaellis
Community Member

We have often heard feedback here in the forums that experience level selected by a client doesn't serve as a clear indication of how much the client actually expects to pay.

Today, when posting a job, a client chooses an experience level that displays an hourly range. Freelancers see the corresponding $ symbol on job posts but they aren’t given visibility into the actual dollar amount shown to clients.

experience level job.png

This week, we are launching a test among US clients and freelancers.  As part of this test we are separating experience level and budget by giving clients the option to specify an hourly range when posting an hourly job and displaying this information for freelancers to see. We hope this will provide freelancers with additional visibility into the clients rate expectations, while also providing guidance to clients on what an appropriate hourly range for their job may be.

Screenshot_1.png

As part of this test Freelancers allocated will see the range when applying to a job, see image below.

budget proposal.png

If a client chooses not to provide an hourly range, then no hourly range will be shown in the job post . See side-by-side comparison of mock-up below:

job post range.pngjobpost no range.png

Let us know if you have any questions!

29 Comments
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member

Hi Yaron,

Could you please reach out to me via PM with the job post URL so that I can check this further? Thank you.

elh_yaron
Community Member

I got an even better one $3-$5 expert , $5-$25... There are tons of them

elh_yaron
Community Member

ehabsakran
Community Member

Yeah, I have noticed these and I was starting to wonder what these clients are expecting. If you want an expert, you're not offering expert rates. However, I do believe there are freelancers who would jump at this. I saw a post for some project that was offering 3-5$ per hour for content copy writing and it had 10-15 proposals. 

VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi Yaron,

Thanks for your question, this is indeed a test. To give freelancers more precise information about a project, we are running a test where we ask clients to manually enter a budget range when posting an hourly job, independently of the experience level. This is a test and only certain clients have the option right now. As a result, you might see some hourly jobs that include the client’s budget range in dollars and some that do not. If this test is successful, we’ll look at expanding this option to all clients.

I moved your posts to the announcement thread for additional visibility.

elh_yaron
Community Member

Wow that's an old post, What do you expect the end result of the experiment to inform you?

Or more accurately what is the assumption tested?

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Yaron,

In order to not impact or skew test results, we typically try not to share details about tests while they are ongoing. While we can’t address your questions about this test, we do appreciate your feedback. In the original announcement here Lena shared why we were running this test and we'll definitely update the Community if this becomes a feature available to all users. 

cssolutions2016
Community Member

Not sure if this is a new feature that Upwork has added - but I am starting to see project postings where clients have marked their "hourly rate budget range" - not sure what kind of sense does that make ? 
When I wrote back to one prospect mentioning that his hourly budget did not meet my expectation - he said that he included that info simply because Upwork had "suggested" that range. 
I am not sure how Upwork determines a suitable "hourly" rate for projects. Regardless of the algorithms, it can possibly always be proven to be faulty. I think this can simply cause clients to post hourly rate "budgets" that don't help them find the right candidates and can cause freelancers be put off simply because clients have posted rates that don't work for them. The irony is transactions may simply be prevented just because Upwork has seemingly commoditized the services individual freelancers offer. 
Could I please request Upwork to drop this "feature" please - Hourly rates by themselves in general make no sense in most cases - leave alone suggesting hourly rate "budget" ranges to clients. 

florydev
Community Member

Agreed!

It's not even in UW's best interest because what if their rate is too low.