cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update: Report Spam, Phishing and Inappropriate Content in Messages

Community Manager
Lena E Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 13
Next week we will be testing a new reporting feature in Messages to a segment of our users. 

What users will see:
  • Ability to report a message as spam, phishing, or inappropriate content
  • Once reported the message will be hidden from view
  • After we confirm the content is indeed spam, phishing, or inappropriate content, the message will be hidden from all users who received the same message from that user.

This feature will help us more quickly identify and take action on communications and users who may be abusing the Upwork platform. We will be taking note of the volume and feedback we receive during the beta test.

Here are some screenshots of this feature:

report messages.png

Spam message view.png

UPDATE:

This is now live for all users. This feature will help us easily flag and take action against users who are abusing the Upwork platform. Below is an updated screenshot of what you will currently see in Messages.

Inline image 1
Untitled
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 13

This sounds like a welcome additional feature.

I don't know that Upwork can go "too far" in blocking spam and phishing...

I'm sure if a vote were taken, most people here would support a global strike force that would actually apprehend these people and lock them up.

3 of 13

Lena E wrote:
Next week we will be testing a new reporting feature in Messages to a segment of our users. 

What users will see:
  • Ability to report a message as spam, phishing, or inappropriate content
  • Once reported the message will be hidden from view
  • After we confirm the content is indeed spam, phishing, or inappropriate content, the message will be hidden from all users who received the same message from that user.

This feature will help us more quickly identify and take action on communications and users who may be abusing the Upwork platform. We will be taking note of the volume and feedback we receive during the beta test.

Here are some screenshots of this feature:

report messages.png

Spam message view.png

This idea is not bad, however, not sufficient. It would be necessary that comments can be added. I often have to explain to CS on and on what is wrong with a job offer or a message from the client, providing additonal info like pdfs or screenshots until the job is taken down. Moreover, clients often communicate in other languages than English, so I would have to translate the message.

Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
4 of 13

Margarete really hit the nail on the head. This is a brilliant new feature and I'm really happy to see that UpWork is testing it out, but like Margarete said, to get the full benefits of this feature, the option to add notes would be required. 

Hayley M Member Since: Mar 21, 2016
5 of 13

This looks like a wonderful, new feature! I have been inundated with spam and phising. I would love to be able to report these more quickly, and help others with this too! I am definitely on board with this!

Thank you for starting up this feature!

Tanmoy B Member Since: Feb 2, 2016
6 of 13

That's great....

Atlas G Member Since: Apr 18, 2016
7 of 13

Great feature to filter spammers! 

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
8 of 13

Can we get better options for reporting spam and fraudulent job posts before you monkey around even more with Messages?!

Community Manager
Lena E Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
9 of 13

Update, this is now live for all users.

Untitled
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
10 of 13

Lena, Margarete raised a solid point esp. when it comes to languages other than English.  Does U plan to implement other features to deal with this?  If so, a time frame would be most appreciated.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS