Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on Good Fit badges

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 36

UPDATE: this thread has been closed from further replies as the feature has been discontinued.

Hi all,

In the past week or so, many of you have been challenging the recent implementation of a “Good Fit” badge we recently released to all freelancers. Among the main concerns we’ve heard from the Community are:

• I’m not seeing Good Fit on jobs that do seem like a great fit for my skills
  • I’m worried about applying to jobs that aren’t tagged with the Good Fit badge
  • I don’t want to apply to jobs that oDesk thinks are a Good Fit for me
  • It isn’t fair that freelancers who apply to these jobs are sorted to the top of the applicants list for clients

The original intent of this feature was to give freelancers a positive signal when we thought they’d make a top applicant for a job. In an attempt to make this signal as accurate as possible, we’ve been extremely conservative about when we show the badge, displaying it on only 3% of all jobs. This has resulted in some freelancers feeling overqualified for jobs that show the badge, and many freelancers hardly ever seeing it at all. Understandably, many of you are worried that if you don’t see the badge, you’re not deemed a good fit, or worse, will be penalized if you apply to jobs without the badge. This is not what we intended, nor what was actually taking place. It’s clear that our positioning and implementation of this feature fell short.

We’re listening.

After careful consideration, we’ve decided to remove this feature from the oDesk platform. You’ll see mention of the Good Fit badges being removed from oDesk over the coming days. We are taking this step based on your feedback the badging was causing more harm than good when it came to finding and applying to jobs you’re qualified for and interested in.

Our goal is still to help you find the best jobs that match your skills, experience, and interests.  But, our execution will get better. We take your feedback to heart and will come back with bigger and better ways to help you land the right jobs with the right clients.

Thanks again for your input. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 36

Kudos to oDesk for responding to freelancer feedback.

Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
3 of 36

Total respect to you all at oDesk - I'm pleasantly gobsmacked! 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Alvin G Member Since: Mar 22, 2015
4 of 36

We appreciate every efforts you're doing to make Odesk a great site to work with and most of all, thank you for listening.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 36

Hi Garnor,

Sad to see Good Fit go!

As I would have had everything to gain from such a system as Good Fit ! 

I know oDesk wanted to put the right freelancers at the top of the clients list which was a great idea!  I do think it's the right decision at this time as Good Fit was not working well enough.

Thank you oDesk for listening

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Kamal S Member Since: Mar 24, 2015
6 of 36

Garnor really appreciate Odesk's team for listening to the freelancers feedback about the Good Fit badges and resolving it in a timely manner.

Just hope that  all the concerns and feedback about the more controversial "Job Success score" are also being considered and its also is dropped  atleast until all the wrinkles have been ironed out of that metric.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
7 of 36

Thanks Kamal. Yes, we are continuing to review the feedback related to Job Success and how it's displayed on the platform. As we've mentioned, this feature is still being tested, as it relates to how it's leveraged for filtering freelancer search resutls and how it appears on the freelancer profile. That said, we have confidence in the metric itself and how it represents freelancer performance over time. It isn't perfect though, so we'll continue doing what we can to improve both the calculations,  and how they're represented to you and to clients.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
8 of 36

Hi Garnor,

Job Success score ! Here is my Feedback  Job Success score is working great!!! This is one of the best improvements oDesk has done.....

It's really up to other freelancers to get their scores up! I see no reason to complain about this cool feature......

Thanks oDesk this is a great help to me.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Sadan M Member Since: Sep 3, 2010
9 of 36

Ian,

You are in favour of job success score because the metrics appears to work well for you but you are forgetting that you are not the only one working on oDesk. If the whole community is calling it unfair to implement it there must be a reason behind it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 36
Kudos to Ian for having the courage to stand against the majority and state his position even if it is not popular.

The Good Fit feature actually seemed to work okay for me. I think the intent was noble, and there may be ways to make it work better. There also may be ways to explain it better.

I don't know if we have seen the last of oDesk's efforts to make it easier for contractors to find jobs that are particularly well suited for them.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS