cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on Messages

Employee
Lisa-Anne C Employee Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
1 of 16

Last year we introduced Messages to the Upwork community. This unveiled a new way for clients and freelancers to communicate with each other on the Upwork platform. Since rolling this out, we’ve received a lot of feedback from the community; you’ve told us what you like, what you don’t, and what you’d love to see in the future. At the same time, we’ve also experienced some technological challenges that have resulted in bugs and other usability issues that affected your use of the platform and your ability to communicate with Messages.

I’d like to address these areas and highlight some of what’s to come. We’re committed to making Messages a solution you can count on, and one that you love using for project collaboration.

Fixing the bugs:

Many of the errors you experienced were a direct result of a specific problem we had with our Message infrastructure. That is, our old message platform and the new Message system weren’t talking to each other properly and we underestimated the time it would take to replace the old with the new. We understand how frustrating this has been for our community and know that many of you are extremely impacted by the issues. We promise you that we are actively working on addressing these issues and will continue to until they are satisfactorily resolved.

We’ve recently completed this infrastructure change, resolving the issues some of you saw including:

• New messages incorrectly appearing in the client view of your account versus your freelancer view (or vice versa);
  • Message rooms throwing error notices when clicking from an email.

*Note: while this update will prevent these issues moving forward, errors created before this latest update may still be visible. If you’re encountering any of the issues mentioned above, please contact our support team or let us know in the Community.

Making usability improvements:

Some of you highlighted parts of Messages that were counter-intuitive and/or just made it harder for you to work with your clients and freelancers. Here are a couple of changes we’ve made in direct response:

• All communication takes place in one room. Previously, if you interviewed and negotiated with a client, those messages would remain in one room. Then, we’d create a new room after the contract was awarded. You told us this made it hard for you to keep track of all relevant communications for a contract. So we stopped this and now all correspondence stays in one room.
  • A new version of video/voice functionality. This allows you to activate a call in one click, without the need to share personal chat IDs separately.

Improvements to come based on your input:

Easy, fast, reliable communication with clients and freelancers is fundamental to your work here and we know it. We’re continuing to invest our resources in improving this critical area.

Here are some of the top items on our list for upcoming enhancements:

• Screensharing via video/voice;
  • Screen capture functionality - This functionality enables you to capture your screen and share it with your team members privately or using a public link, to share externally.

We’re already testing some of this functionality and hope to introduce it to you soon. As we make changes in these areas we’ll continue to announce them here in the Community.

A few tips to help:

Finally, here are a few tips you may not be aware of that can you can leverage today:

• For more access to your messages, Freelancers can get the Desktop App (Client version to come): (download here) You can also use our Mobile Apps: iOS and Android Recency Tab: You can see your messages ordered by recency (how?)
  • Files Tab: See all your files/links related to the room in one place (how?)
  • Notification Settings: Change how often you receive emails, desktop notifications, etc (how?: here or here on the Upwork Team App)
  • Keyboard shortcuts: Get more efficient with how you use Dash (how?)

I hope the information I’ve shared addresses your main questions and concerns. As always, I’ll be watching these forums for your feedback.

Sincerely,

Lisa-Anne

Tags (1)
Ace Contributor
Lia B Member Since: Nov 29, 2015
2 of 16

Thanks for letting us know! (And YAY for having everything in one room! Smiley Very Happy)

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
3 of 16

So we stopped this and now all correspondence stays in one room.

Thank you Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
4 of 16

Lisa-Anne C wrote:

• All communication takes place in one room. Previously, if you interviewed and negotiated with a client, those messages would remain in one room. Then, we’d create a new room after the contract was awarded. You told us this made it hard for you to keep track of all relevant communications for a contract. So we stopped this and now all correspondence stays in one room.

Great! : )  ...at last Upwork has taken the advice of the freelancers and made a wanted change for the better. Let's hope you continue to act on our feedback - especially as regards a recent change you made to another part of the system.

Ace Contributor
5 of 16

*Note: while this update will prevent these issues moving forward, errors created before this latest update may still be visible. If you’re encountering any of the issues mentioned above, please contact our support team or let us know in the Community.

Hmmm. I had a repeat client send me a quickie job this week -- she messaged me first (on Monday) to see if I was available. I said I was, so she created the job (on Tuesday)... and the offer came through a different message "room." Our correspondence, though, continued to go through the original room (in other words, only the offer/acceptance went through the second room).

Is this a problem, or a case of "error created before this latest update"?

Thanks!

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 16

Hi Lia,

There's no problem with the process you mentioned. Your existing client messaged you through a room tied to a previous contract. A new message room was generated upon setting up a new contract, which is by design.

Ace Contributor
7 of 16

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.  Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Kamaal M Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
8 of 16

Hi Vladamir,

Lisa-Ann said: "All communication takes place in one room. Previously, if you interviewed and negotiated with a client, those messages would remain in one room. Then, we’d create a new room after the contract was awarded. You told us this made it hard for you to keep track of all relevant communications for a contract. So we stopped this and now all correspondence stays in one room."

I understand it's by design but what about what Lisa-Ann mentioned or new improvements didn't get implemented yet?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
9 of 16

Hi Kamaal,

The process I mentioned is exactly the same one Lisa-Ann announced. If you are referring to the user I replied to, one room was created for the new contract but their repeat client communicated with them through a room tied to a previous contract.

Let me know if you were referring to another case.

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
10 of 16

I find it simply odd that few people stop responding just like that.

A client who supposed to send me materials on Tuesday, he already opened a contract and deadline was today.

A client who sent me the offer, and just had to answer to my question.

Two potential clients who seemed they'll hire me.

Somehow all these people just stop responding. I doubt they can't reach my messages, for some reason.

It would be the second time, after the incident from few weeks ago, when I tried on every possible way to reply to invitation, but my message persistently refused to show up.

Update didn't prevent messages from my client showing up in my client account, although they are in a new message room.

Do you have issues with messages again?