Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on Specialized Profiles for Freelancers

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
11 of 39

Hi Grigor and everyone,

As an update, we can confirm that today we concluded testing the option to send a specialized profile instead of a general one when submitting a proposal. Our team will analyze the data we received, evaluate the results and feedback from our users and we'll follow up with an update once we have more information. Thank you for your interest and the feedback you have provided.

Highlighted
Grigor V Member Since: Jun 29, 2019
12 of 39

Well, and how may I put my portfolio on my specialized profile? and does the client see the profile I want without selection or he or she just sees my general profile

Highlighted
Sherif R Member Since: Aug 15, 2019
13 of 39

Hi All,

I'm still dabbling with the specialized profile feature and trying to get it to work for me.

Not long ago, while submitting a proposal, I would see a dropdown giving me the choice to select the profile I wanted to use.  This was working just fine.  However, recently the dropdown has vanished and instead sometimes upwork detects the right profile (I guess from mapping tags in the job post with info on my profile), but many other times it doesn't work and I'm stuck with submitting a proposal using my general profile.  Needless to say it's a major turnoff for clients to see a totally irrelevant profile show up -  and many would not bother to rummage through tabs to find the right one (assuming they notice the tabs in the first place).  

My question is, how are others dealing with this? 

Can Upwork dev team please bring back the old dropdown and allow us to select the profile we want to use?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
14 of 39

Hi Sherif,

I moved your post to the related announcement thread, which we updated and confirmed the option to send a specialized profile was removed after the test has been concluded. We'll follow up with an update once we have more information about the test results.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
15 of 39

Vlad,  you wrote "we updated and confirmed the option to send a specialized profile was removed after the test has been concluded." 

Does this mean Upwork will attempt, via algorithms, to decide which profile to send in all cases? 

Or does it mean that FRs must now combine 2 disparate profiles into 1?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
16 of 39

Hi Wendy,

In all cases, the profile that is most relevant to the job requirements will automatically be shown with the proposal. The general profile and any other specialized profiles will still be visible to the client when they view the proposal.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
17 of 39

So algorithms decide which profile, and if the potential buyer is savvy enough and/or takes the time to look, he/she can toggle between the profiles.

Thanks for your speedy response, Valeria.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
18 of 39

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Wendy,

In all cases, the profile that is most relevant to the job requirements will automatically be shown with the proposal. The general profile and any other specialized profiles will still be visible to the client when they view the proposal.

Oh dear. 

Once again, everything rests on a client's ability to choose the correct skill set and categories when posting a job. If that (and the algorithm selecting the "corresponding" profiles) worked, we wouldn't get so many mismatched invites... 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
19 of 39

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Wendy,

In all cases, the profile that is most relevant to the job requirements will automatically be shown with the proposal. 

Please stop doing that. Your algorithm has no idea which profile is the most relevant. Oftentimes the clients don't know themselves and you cannot base your decision on the keywords they select. Leave the choice of the specialized profile to those who know: the ones who are submitting the proposal!

Please stop interfering with decisions that are not yours to make. 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Sherif R Member Since: Aug 15, 2019
20 of 39

I agree with Rene.  The algorithm often doesn't choose the right profile. I can only imagine how many opportunities lost, clients confused and time wasted as a result of irrelevant profile submissions. 

You can have the algorithm 'suggest' a profile and then give us the ability to either confirm or override - that would be just fine, but please let us have a say in what we're submitting.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS