cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update to Freelancer Profile Layouts

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
41 of 103

Isabelle / Eve / Jess: If it's any consolation, on my giant monitor your profiles all comfortably fit the new earnings info and the start of your work history. Even on my smaller monitor you still fit down to the hourly rate. But I agree that this format would be better limiting the height of the box or lines or something rather than by character count, as that disadvantages freelancers like you who try to lay out your profiles in an easy to read way with bullet points.

From a client perspective...

I like the JSS and top rated prominence, and the clear summary of rate, earnings, jobs, and hours.

I don't like the relegation of skills to the bottom of the profile.

I agree that Lena's screenshot in the original post was misleading. It made it look like the skills were immediately under the earnings/jobs summary, which is where it makes far more sense to put it.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
42 of 103

Posting examples for comparison so that the Mods can see what I mean. When I arrive at the page for each of these profiles, Ela's info is all grouped together at top, whereas you have to scroll down to see my hourly rate, etc.

(@Ela - sorry, using your profile to show what I mean - I hope you don't mind! I can remove the screenshot in case you're not happy with it posted here...)

profile 1.png

profile 2.png

Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
43 of 103

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

Posting examples for comparison so that the Mods can see what I mean. When I arrive at the page for each of these profiles, Ela's info is all grouped together at top, whereas you have to scroll down to see my hourly rate, etc.

I think this is because you are using bullet points and some line breaks. The text before you have to press "more" is counted in words or characters, and not in lines. I think that's why yours is longer, and pushes down the rest of the info.

I've noticed the same thing on my profile, and assume that's how it works. Maybe it's time to redo my overview.

44 of 103
@Eve, that would make sense, but when I view your profile, all the relevant details (rate, jobs etc) are there at first glance - I don't have to scroll down.
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
45 of 103

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:
@Eve, that would make sense, but when I view your profile, all the relevant details (rate, jobs etc) are there at first glance - I don't have to scroll down.

That's because I have 80 something words in 12 lines, while you have 80 something words in 17 lines. So your overview is 5 lines longer than mine, and that's why you have to scroll. 

I did a test now on my profile. I didn't add or change any words, just removed some line breaks.

Before:

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 19.40.06.png

After:

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 19.40.58.png

46 of 103

What the Upwork want?
Why it is showing the earning or $$ on the profile??

Why want to unsecure your securities?
It is a personal part of every freelancer then what you want that every person could see it?

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
47 of 103

As others have asked, I would really like to understand U.'s reasoning on this.  Could a moderator please explain corporate logic, marketing intent, justification, etc.?

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
48 of 103

@Hamid I wrote:

What the Upwork want?

Earnings have been displayed on your profile before. You can make them private if you want, there is an option for this.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
49 of 103

@Rene K. wrote:

@Hamid I wrote:

What the Upwork want?

Earnings have been displayed on your profile before. You can make them private if you want, there is an option for this.

That costs $10 monthly but there's no free lunch, I guess.

50 of 103

I just reread Lena’s original announcement. She said the changes would be rolled out in the coming weeks, so why the rush? She also welcomed feedback, but seems to me 2 days isn't much time to get a representative sampling of feedback.