cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update to Freelancer Profile Layouts

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
61 of 103

Mods, can we please get an answer here? Even if you haven't been able to get an adequate response from the design/tech team, at least say so, so that I know this thread is not being left to rot.

I just want to know if this new layout is final and, if so, any info you can give about the extra spaces / line breaks / bullet points that make certain overviews longer.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
62 of 103

Isabelle Anne and others,

Sorry about the delayed response. We weren't able to post an update earlier due to the weekend.

I'd just want to reiterate that we appreciate feedback shared on this thread and we have been sharing it with the team. Let me address a few points brought up on this thread.

- We believe freelancer Work History is very important. You all work really hard to build up your reputation here on Upwork and we want to it to be highlighted on your profiles. That said, we understand that freelancers in different categories and with different experience may want to highlight different parts of their profiles and we are planning to provide that ability in the future.

- Eve and Valentina are correct and the overview is truncated based on the number of words. If your overview has more line breaks, it will show longer vertically. This is by design. You can reduce the number of line breaks if you'd like the shorter version of the overview to be more compact.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
63 of 103
Thanks Valeria. Obviously not happy with this, but at last we got a response.

If the team is still taking suggestions, I'd ask that the skills section be moved above our portfolios, and that line breaks don't affect the size of truncated overviews.
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
64 of 103

I had to re-do the Overview to get it all in without  the need for a Client to click "more"

I join the Community is stating that it is an incredibly BAD change to put the Skills way down the list.  What could Upwork have in mind to do that?

Joe

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
65 of 103

This hasn't been done to my profile yet (as of this afternoon it was still as it has been for the last 2 years), but I've seen plenty of profiles where this change has been implemented, and as a part-time unoffical recruiter for my clients, I have issues with this.

When using SEARCH to find freelancers versed in a particular app or skill (that has a skill reference, in this case I will use Clickfunnel, or editing) I have come to appreciate skills showing 'before the fold'.

Since a lot of  freelancers will not think to show those actual skills in their profile, those that do have proved to be great at their craft, and I have been very glad that information was so readily available. It has allowed me to choose some wonderful freelancers.

I fail to see why this was approved. It's clunky beyond belief.

On a personal note, I am not in a huge way concerned by this. My overview is usually the reason I get hired. My Title and Overview repeat my main service multiple times. Even with a 70% rating.  I don't think MY clients care, or even notice, if my main service is reprensented by my "skills". On the other hand, if the TEAMWORK.COM PM tool skill got approved, I'd care about this in a huge way. Hint. Hint.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
66 of 103

I have no idea why they decided to take the skills list from the top of the profile and to hide it at the bottom. I simply can't imagine any good reason for doing this.

However, at least, it's consistent with how Upwork implements changes and new features. More often than not, they will come with a great idea and they ruin it with one or two details.

I love the way the profiles look now, but this skill list things ruins it all. Same for the hourly rate. Why did they had to remove it from the top is a mystery.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Valentina D Member Since: Aug 27, 2016
67 of 103

Looks like there's a glitch too. Have a look at this profile

bug.PNG

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
68 of 103

Hi Valentina,

Could you please pm me the profile you're looking at, so I can check if this is possibly a Freelancer profile of an exclusive agency contractor?

Community Guru
Valentina D Member Since: Aug 27, 2016
69 of 103

Hi Vladimir,

Sure, just a sec to find it again...  Just PM'd you

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
70 of 103

Thanks for the pm Valentina, I responded and just confirming here that the reported profile is appearing as expected given their status with the agency they are associated with.