🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Update to Invoices for Freelancers and Client...
Page options

Update to Invoices for Freelancers and Clients

lenaellis
Community Member

After February 15th, freelancers will be able to view and download invoices that are sent to clients by going to their Reports.  

Additionally, to conform to legal requirements for VAT compliance, both freelancer and client addresses will appear on invoices if the client is located in a VAT country. Displaying an address is optional for non-VAT clients by marking a checkbox on the company contact information page.

client address option.png

This is a retroactive change and once made, addresses will be visible on all current and past invoices from March 2015 onward. Please take a moment to verify or update the address you want displayed. Freelancers, you can find this under your contact information setting, and clients under company contact information.

For reference, here’s how your address will appear on invoices:

invoice.png

Update 2/17/21

We want your invoices to always show your name, address, etc., as you had it listed at that time. Because of that if you update your information, your past invoices will not reflect the update. This is for accuracy and to ensure that your invoices reflect the same information as they did on the day they were created. Also, if you live in certain areas, we must collect taxes, such as sales or VAT. Having the proper address displayed at the time of invoicing is important to show what taxes were applicable and charged.

39 Comments
alendv
Community Member

Hello,

Can anyone clarify if a freelancer from non-EU country should have access to those invoices? I don't see such option in my Reports menu (or might be missing something).

Also, I would like to clarify the following: if a freelancer is not from a EU country, but a client is, should the client pay VAT by himself in addition to payments done via Upwork?

Thank you.

jmeyn
Community Member

@Alen D wrote:

Hello,

Can anyone clarify if a freelancer from non-EU country should have access to those invoices? I don't see such option in my Reports menu (or might be missing something).

Also, I would like to clarify the following: if a freelancer is not from a EU country, but a client is, should the client pay VAT by himself in addition to payments done via Upwork?

Thank you.

Dear Alen,

In Report click on "Transaction History". All invoices will then be listed and are available for download.

If a freelancer is located outside the EU and the client within the EU the client is responsible for reporting the import and paying the VAT (importation VAT). An exception are services like those offered by Upwork.

alendv
Community Member

Thank you Joachim.

And sorry for the invoices question, I understand know I сould be a little more attentive.  Smiley Embarassed

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Update 2/17/21

We want your invoices to always show your name, address, etc., as you had it listed at that time. Because of that if you update your information, your past invoices will not reflect the update. This is for accuracy and to ensure that your invoices reflect the same information as they did on the day they were created. Also, if you live in certain areas, we must collect taxes, such as sales or VAT. Having the proper address displayed at the time of invoicing is important to show what taxes were applicable and charged. 

evaristg
Community Member
I recently updated my tax information and I see my new tax information is displayed on ALL my past invoices.

How can I fix this?
JoanneP

Hi Felipe,

I can see that our team already assisted you with your concern. If you need further assistance, please feel free to update the ticket, and our team will be happy to assist you further. 

evaristg
Community Member
I have contacted upwork support more than once for this situation, because I consider it is very important, noone has been able to help me so far.
I recently changed my tax information and this affected ALL my invoices (the ones I generated after I did the change and also the ones I generated before). Upwork support told me this can't be fixed and this is not a mistake but an expected behavior when the tax information is updated.
I was surprised when I read in this thread than a change in tax information should only affect the invoices generated after the change was made, and past invoices remain with the tax information at the time they were generated.

I have contacted support once again.
Thanks Joanne.
jmeyn
Community Member

Felipe T wrote:
I have contacted upwork support more than once for this situation, because I consider it is very important, noone has been able to help me so far.
I recently changed my tax information and this affected ALL my invoices (the ones I generated after I did the change and also the ones I generated before). Upwork support told me this can't be fixed and this is not a mistake but an expected behavior when the tax information is updated.
I was surprised when I read in this thread than a change in tax information should only affect the invoices generated after the change was made, and past invoices remain with the tax information at the time they were generated.

I have contacted support once again.
Thanks Joanne.

I fully agree. In Europe this violates accounting practices, would even be viewed as fraud.

petra_r
Community Member

Felipe T wrote:
I recently updated my tax information and I see my new tax information is displayed on ALL my past invoices.

This is the opposite to what Valeria said in February.

Feb 17, 2021 08:42:45 AM  by Valeria K
Valeria wrote:

Update 2/17/21

We want your invoices to always show your name, address, etc., as you had it listed at that time. Because of that if you update your information, your past invoices will not reflect the update. This is for accuracy and to ensure that your invoices reflect the same information as they did on the day they were created.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Felipe and others,

We have flagged it to our product team. They're currently investigating this issue and will make sure past invoice information doesn't change in all cases.