cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update to Invoices for Freelancers and Clients

evaristg
Felipe T Member Since: May 16, 2019
21 of 40
I have contacted upwork support more than once for this situation, because I consider it is very important, noone has been able to help me so far.
I recently changed my tax information and this affected ALL my invoices (the ones I generated after I did the change and also the ones I generated before). Upwork support told me this can't be fixed and this is not a mistake but an expected behavior when the tax information is updated.
I was surprised when I read in this thread than a change in tax information should only affect the invoices generated after the change was made, and past invoices remain with the tax information at the time they were generated.

I have contacted support once again.
Thanks Joanne.
jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
22 of 40

Felipe T wrote:
I have contacted upwork support more than once for this situation, because I consider it is very important, noone has been able to help me so far.
I recently changed my tax information and this affected ALL my invoices (the ones I generated after I did the change and also the ones I generated before). Upwork support told me this can't be fixed and this is not a mistake but an expected behavior when the tax information is updated.
I was surprised when I read in this thread than a change in tax information should only affect the invoices generated after the change was made, and past invoices remain with the tax information at the time they were generated.

I have contacted support once again.
Thanks Joanne.

I fully agree. In Europe this violates accounting practices, would even be viewed as fraud.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
23 of 40

Hi Felipe and others,

We have flagged it to our product team. They're currently investigating this issue and will make sure past invoice information doesn't change in all cases.

~ Valeria
Upwork
evaristg
24 of 40

Thanks so much Valeria.

evaristg
25 of 40
Hello Valeria,
Just reaching out for a follow up,
is there any update on this?
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
26 of 40

Felipe T wrote:
I recently updated my tax information and I see my new tax information is displayed on ALL my past invoices.

This is the opposite to what Valeria said in February.

Feb 17, 2021 08:42:45 AM  by Valeria K
Valeria wrote:

Update 2/17/21

We want your invoices to always show your name, address, etc., as you had it listed at that time. Because of that if you update your information, your past invoices will not reflect the update. This is for accuracy and to ensure that your invoices reflect the same information as they did on the day they were created.

evaristg
27 of 40

I can only imagine how many issues are opened every day, and how busy Upwork development team is. My most sincere thanks to all the people who work everyday to make Upwork such a great marketplace.

But honestly, I am also surprised this issue hasn't been solved already.

If (for example) today, one of my clients decides to download an invoice for the work I did before updating my tax information, he is going to see my new tax information, which is completely innacurate because it doesn't reflect my situation at the time of doing the work. I was living in a completely different jurisdiction (differente country, differnt continent) back at the time!

The EU has very specific rules about how to deal with taxes for services provided within the EU. If the service provider is located whitin the EU, it is important to say it. If it is not, it is important the invoice doesn't say it is! Worse than that, my clients could be filing invoices issued from a company before that company was even created!

Do you guys realize how serius this is?

Based on another thread I found in this community, Upwork is aware of this error from December 2017 at least. If Upwork is not going to solve this issue, or if it is not considered an issue to be solved at all, I don't understand why doesn't Upwork just say it.

I can only imagine how busy Upwork team is, but I can't stress enough how surprised I am this problem hasn't been solved.

evaristg
28 of 40

Hello, I posted this message in another thread but I think it is no longer active, maybe it is best to start a new thread.

When a freelancer updates its tax information, the changes are retroactive, affecting absolutely all invoices issued by the freelancer. This is, all invoices generated AFTER updating the tax information but also all invoices generated BEFORE the update. Absolutely all invoices display the new tax information. You can get more context about this issue here and here.

I have been struggling with this issue ever since a few months, and no one has been able to help me so far.

I can only imagine how many issues are opened every day, and how busy Upwork development team is. But honestly, I am also surprised this issue hasn't been solved already.

If (for example) today, one of my clients decides to download an invoice for the work I did before updating my tax information, he is going to see my new tax information, which is completely innacurate because it doesn't reflect my situation at the time of doing the work. I was living in a completely different jurisdiction (differente country, differnt continent) back at the time!

The EU has very specific rules about how to deal with taxes for services provided within the EU. If the service provider is located whitin the EU, it is important to say it. If it is not, it is important the invoice doesn't say it is! Worse than that, my clients could be filing invoices issued from a company before that company was even created!

Do you guys realize how serius this is?

Based on another thread I found in this community, Upwork is aware of this error from December 2017 at least. If Upwork is not going to solve this issue, or if it is not considered an issue to be solved at all, I don't understand why doesn't Upwork just say it.

I can only imagine how busy Upwork team is, but I can't stress enough how surprised I am this problem hasn't been solved.

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
29 of 40

This violates EU regulations and I dare say it also violates US GAP

evaristg
30 of 40

Didn't I create a new thread for this in 'Freelancers'? Did an admin move my msg to this thread?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS