cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update to client contract option to switch to hourly

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 6

The “Switch contract to hourly” menu option for clients will be removed from the Contract page. We will not be removing this option from the Offer page. Clients can still utilize the button to switch a contract type before sending an offer, this process isn’t changing.

This week, we will be removing the “Switch Contract to Hourly” option from contract rooms, as we have not seen frequent use of it. Clients can continue to switch from fixed-price to hourly contracts by ending the fixed-price contract and starting a new hourly contract with the same freelancer.

This is the same process as before, the only change is that we’re just removing the link shown here:

contracthourlyswitch.png

In order to switch a fixed-price contract to hourly, the active milestone will first need to be completed. Once the current milestone is complete, clients will manually close the contract, leave feedback for their freelancer and then open a new hourly contract to continue working with the same freelancer.

Again, this change only applies to active contracts, not when submitting an offer. Let us know if you have any questions.

Untitled
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
2 of 6

Lena, IMO this only serves to make this situation more challenging than it needs to be for both the Client and the Freelancer.  

If I understand correctly, it's being removed because UW has not seen frequent use of it.  Is that correct?

What is the advantage to UW, the Client, or the Freelancer in making this change?

Thank you.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
3 of 6

Maybe it wasn't used that often. But so what? It wasn't consuming resources.

Instead, I would have loved to see the team implementing an option to allow freelancers to propose an hourly job when the client selected a fixed price and vice-versa.

And also, the uphill battle to allow freelancers to initiate milestones... I mean if the team has some free time, there are more useful things to implement.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
4 of 6

Hi Pat and Rene,

Thanks for your feedback. Even with minor changes like this which would go unnoticed to the majority of users in these forums, we are trying to be more transparent by announcing them here more as a heads-up. I don't want to start a debate about every announced change. I understand that you feel this will cause more of a struggle, but on the contrary, we've found that this link had very little usage and created more pages/clicks for a client to go through than to just simply end a contract and start a new one.

On Upwork's end this does free up resources. By discontinuing pages that aren’t used, we can free up technical and product resources to focus instead on building new pages and functionality. Freelancer initiated milestones is a request we've heard often, and we will let you know when we have an update on this. 

Untitled
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
5 of 6

Greetings, Lena,

Thanks for the update. I think this makes sense because at a glance when I see this link, I am under the impression that clicking it would convert the current project type, which isn't the case actually but it was just a simple link that will lead to terminating the current contract and opening a new one.

You said: "we've found that this link had very little usage".

I'm only wondering, does Upwork track users' activities in the form of analytical data (like assigning some scripting actions prior to clicking such links and generating reports out of them), or does Upwork record users' activities in the form of video sessions that Upwork can review to determine what clients were doing exactly at a given period in time? Or does Upwork do both?

I've worked on a few web-related projects for my clients where they requested having both, so I know it's technically possible, and I'm not saying I am against recording my activities on Upwork's servers in the form of video recordings, but speaking of transparency, I think it would b ideal to let us know.

Thanks.

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
6 of 6

@Lena E wrote:

Hi Pat and Rene,

Thanks for your feedback. Even with minor changes like this which would go unnoticed to the majority of users in these forums, we are trying to be more transparent by announcing them here more as a heads-up. I don't want to start a debate about every announced change. I understand that you feel this will cause more of a struggle, but on the contrary, we've found that this link had very little usage and created more pages/clicks for a client to go through than to just simply end a contract and start a new one.

woul know when we have an update on this. 

Lena, increased transparency will definitely be appreciated!  Perhaps "debates" would occur less frequently if the concerns of those of us that actually utilize the Upwork platform were more so taken into account. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS