cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update to oDesk User Agreement

Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 6

UPDATE: this thread has been closed from further replies.

We've updated our User Agreement as of today, 11/26.

This update includes the new business address of oDesk, clarifies Client and Freelancer recordkeeping responsibilities, and includes an arbitration provision with a class and collective action waiver.

You can check out our User Agreement in its entirety here.
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
2 of 6

Garnor, thanks for posting this but wouldn't it make more sense to send out an email to all users to make them aware of a pretty important change? What percentage of the users even use the forums, it must be less than 1%.

I noticed that you guys keep changing the T&C without letting anyone know. Surely, it can't be expected of all users to check out the T&C once a day to see if there's any changes they need to be aware of. Wouldn't it also make sense to give users time to read and understand the changes and let them decide whether they want to continue on the site, or do you expect users who do not agree to the T&C to just seize all work from one minute to the next? If this is legal, it must be in the very grey zone of it.

You guys just landed another $30M VC investment, perhaps 0.01% of that could be invested in a basic campaign tool to notify users of important changes. CampaignMonitor is pretty affordable. At the very least, you guys could've created a banner to make users aware like you did with the new minimum rate etc.

oDesk's way of doing business does not exactly foster trust nor is it exactly ethical.

All that said, I appreciate that you took the time to post it.

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
3 of 6

I agree with Krisztina. This glowing announcement is too sneaky sneaky sneak. Oh well, it has been the norm here for anything important these days, more sneakiness.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
4 of 6
Thanks for this input Krisztina. Historically we have sent direct notice for significant changes to the User Agreement that have a marked impact on how you use the site. Your feedback is helpful though and we'll consider this for more future updates.
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
5 of 6

"Historically we have sent direct notice for significant changes to the User Agreement that have a marked impact on how you use the site."

Garnor, this isn't true. I'm on this site since 2009 and have never received a direct notice about any changes to the T&C. Not even when you guys changed the buyout clause from 2 years to 3 years, which happened in the last 12 month.

Karen C Member Since: Dec 15, 2014
6 of 6

When you make a change to the User Agreement, could you please highlight the change?  As many times as I have read the User Agreement, there are times that I can't find the change unless I put both the new version and the old version side by side to see what was changed.  

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS