Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated Community Guidelines 2018

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
11 of 19

@Valeria K wrote:

We won't be able to do the same for the original Community Guidelines post in the Announcements section because that post is linked in multiple places around the site and should only contain the acting Guidelines.

There is absolutely no reason why you couldn't add at least a notice that updates were made, and when, to that post. Otherwise it FALSELY implies that the guidelines were written and posted in 2014 and never updated or revised in any way.

Maybe you misunderstand what we mean when we talk about transparency in Upwork's operations. Here's a definition.

a : free from pretense or deceit : frank
b : easily detected or seen through : obvious
c : readily understood
d : characterized by visibility or accessibility of information especially concerning business practices

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
12 of 19

This topic is about a change in the community guidelines of some website's forums.

It triggers is a fair amount of heat, emotion, and drama. I wonder what would have happened if the subject was of some real importance.

And still no answers from Upwork officials to my question about bugging Preston. Upwork must have something to hide, for sure. Maybe their servers are running SQL!

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
13 of 19

@Jess C wrote:

multiple places around the site and should only contain the acting Guidelines.

There is absolutely no reason why you couldn't add at least a notice that updates were made, and when, to that post. Otherwise it FALSELY implies that the guidelines were written and posted in 2014 and never updated or revised in any way.

Check when the post was last time Edited and you will know exactly when it was updated or revised.35682.jpg

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
14 of 19

Claudia, they've added that information; originally it was not noted.  They've also added "UPDATED AS OF 7/27/18" so it can be seen without actually clicking into the thread which is even better.

Earlier in this thread I posted a link of "Community Guidelines" I located that were dated October 14, 2016  to assist regarding comparisons.  However, I never located a reference to that date referring to an Update or an Edit to the 2014 Guidelines within the Community.  Perhaps there was one somewhere.

Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
15 of 19

@Pat M wrote:

Claudia, they've added that information; originally it was not noted.  They've also added "UPDATED AS OF 7/27/18" so it can be seen without actually clicking into the thread which is even better.     

Pat, that information is displayed automatically when a post is edited.

"it FALSELY implies that the guidelines were written and posted in 2014 and never updated or revised in any way." ... is an overreacted if not false statement, the post is showing automatically the last edit.

Community Guru
16 of 19

@Claudia Z wrote:

@Pat M wrote:

Pat, that information is displayed automatically when a post is edited.

"it FALSELY implies that the guidelines were written and posted in 2014 and never updated or revised in any way." ... is an overreacted if not false statement, the post is showing automatically the last edit.

Claudia, if that was true; in addition to other reasons, a Mod or CM would have stated such.

For clarification I can't take credit for "it FALSELY..." as I didn't post it.  However, I did kudo it.

Community Guru
17 of 19

@Jess C wrote:

@Valeria K wrote:

We won't be able to do the same for the original Community Guidelines post in the Announcements section because that post is linked in multiple places around the site and should only contain the acting Guidelines.

Maybe you misunderstand what we mean when we talk about transparency in Upwork's operations. Here's a definition.

a : free from pretense or deceit : frank
b : easily detected or seen through : obvious
c : readily understood
d : characterized by visibility or accessibility of information especially concerning business practices

Jess, regarding the updates I agree and as I'm sure you've seen, they finally did add the information.  Regarding transparency IMO for numerous reasons more would definitely be appreciated from both FL and Clients and be better for the entire platform; including UW itself.  For whatever reason(s) some companies choose to be more transparent than others.  

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
18 of 19

"Personal attacks based on a user's English, lack of knowledge, experience of Upwork platform or any other disparaging comments will not be tolerated."

I do hope Upwork will be able to distinguish between "personal attacks" or "disparaging comments" and responses that accurately point out that the answer to a poster's question is precisely "English [when falsely claiming to be expert thereat], lack of knowledge, experience of Upwork platform."

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
19 of 19

I've recently re-read the excellent 1984 (by George Orwell, of course).

One of the new rules reminds me very much of the book, I'll let you guess which one, as I'm very much afraid of the Tought Police.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS