Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated Terms of Service effective August 27th

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 9
UPDATE: this thread has been closed from further replies.

We wanted to make you aware that some updates have been made to the Upwork Terms of Service (TOS), which will go into effect on August 27, 2015.  

An example of some the updates include:
  • The rights and responsibilities of Agencies with respect to their employees and subcontractors are further detailed.

• We updated the provisions relating to how disputes with Upwork are resolved, including changes to our arbitration agreement.  
  • The Upwork Payroll Agreement was also revised and incorporated into the TOS. We added them together to remove the extra step of having to sign the client agreement off platform. 
You will also be receiving an email about these changes and links to the updated TOS and Payroll agreements. 

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
Joshua M Member Since: Nov 8, 2014
2 of 9

Is it possible for you guys to explain the changes through a simple comparison chart? Like before & after?  So we can properlyjudge if the changes are good or bad? kthx

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 9

Joshua,

If you read both the old and new documents and make a comparison chart and post it here, I will give you a kudo.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 9

I plan to read the new Terms of Use agreement and read the messages I receive from Upwork regarding these changes.

But I doubt there will be much there that will impact my work on Upwork.

Mainly because:

- I am not part of an agency.

- I do not run a company which uses Upwork Payroll Management nor do I intend to work for a company that uss this service.

- I do not use the dispute system. I have clearly and repeatedly stated in the Community Forum that my position on disputes is that I will never file a dispute. Ever. For any reason. I doubt there is any way a client could successfully file a dispute against me, because before things would get to that point I would simply refund any funds relating to any work I question. And I would keep the work that was not paid for. My clients don't want money from me, and they're not interested in filing disputes. They want me to work for them. Obviously they know if they decided to not pay me then I would simply decline to do any more work for them. So the dispute system is of no use to me because I have far more effective tools at my disposal for ensuring good client behavior.

Highlighted
Chaz D Member Since: Aug 18, 2015
5 of 9

You are obviously a professional, Preston. Make sure you understand what the client wants and needs, and deliver.

Highlighted
Community Leader
William M Member Since: Feb 10, 2015
6 of 9

"So the dispute system is of no use to me because I have far more effective tools at my disposal for ensuring good client behavior."

What tools are those? And, don't you agree to use the dispute system if you sign up here?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Althea Maefe S Member Since: Nov 6, 2014
7 of 9

I don't see much impact to me or my salary (for now).

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
8 of 9

Thank you for giving us the heads up so we have time to read and understand them, rather than sneaking them in. Much appreciated!!!

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 9

re: "What tools are those? And, don't you agree to use the dispute system if you sign up here?"

William, the dispute system comes from Upwork's marketing and legal people. It is not Upwork's desire that anybody actually use it. If anybody files a dispute it means that the intended model for working on Upwork has failed.

Nothing in any in any user agreement compels any Upwork user to ever file a dispute. And the way I work makes it impossible for any client to ever file a dispute against me.

The work I do is of such high quality that I would always rather keep it for myself rather than release it to a client.

So if any client ever had a complaint or wanted to dispute anything, I would just issue a full refund and gratefully keep the work I did.

But this has never happened.

The biggest fear my clients have is that I might not want to continue working for them. So they make every effort to pay for the work I do and act respectfully at all times.

What possible reason could I have for ever filing a dispute?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS