cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Updates to Payment Methods for non-US based freelancers

Susan B Member Since: Feb 14, 2017
11 of 266

Well received your email today about Skrill. You guys are bound and determined to lose your freelancers aren't you? Skrill has perfect service and accessibility for those of us not living in the USA. We can withdraw from any ATM . PayPal will not give out debit cards to us so we have a fee from PayPal and from the bank on top of your ridiculous fees. Great job!

Considering you have made a fair bit of money off me, I regret ever transferring over from Elance. I should have negotiated with the client to go direct with Paypal. The only thing that kept me with Upwork was the fact that we could use Skrill.  I am making sure that I negotiate with my client to go outside of Upwork. Instead of improvements you consistently downgrade things. Amazing. and for this we are paying you.

So fed up with Upwork .

Sincerely

Susan Bano

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 266

Hi Susan,

I'm sorry to hear this change will affect you. Unfortunately, after a thorough review, we’ve determined that Skrill’s product offering and customer support to our community do not consistently meet the standards we require of our payment partners. You can check out alternative payment methods available in your country by going to Your Settings> Get Paid and clicking "Add Payment Method."

Also, please note that by accepting payments outside of Upwork from clients with whom you've been working for less than 2 years, you will be violating Upwork ToS.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Susan B Member Since: Feb 14, 2017
13 of 266

No worries there. Been with them over 2 yrs.

Anna M F Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
14 of 266

Hi Valeria,

I'd really would like to better understand what Upwork means by "Skrill’s product offering and customer support to our community do not consistently meet the standards we require of our payment partners"....because I just moved to Payoneer and:

- Payoneer asks for money in order to credit MY money in my account (2.50$ if I want the money within some hours, while it's free if you can wait for 2 working days), while Skrill credits MY money after few minutes.

- Payoneer states a FX rate that it's NOT THE ONE THEY USED (so there are hidden fees for EVERY transaction I do using Payoneer card, while Skrill reports on the transaction the exact FX rate they charged.

Frankly speaking I hoped Upwork was improving...but lately is really getting worse and worse. Really disappointing!

15 of 266

Hi Anna,

Please, note that the processing time for withdrawals from Upwork to Payoneer account are the same as they were for Skrill. I believe you are referring to the feature to load money from your Payoneer account to Payoneer Debit MasterCard instantly. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Brian A Member Since: Jul 5, 2010
16 of 266

I received an email from upwork that they have added a new payment method. Its called M-pesa. This is good news to Kenyan freelancers who have had to use other means to send money to themselves from upwork.

Every kenyan knows M-pesa but for the sake of non-kenyan's, M-pesa is a money transfer service using mobile phones. Was actually the first of its kind and i wondered what took upwork so long to add it as a payment method. 

I'm waiting three days for the withdrawal method to be available and im so happy for this step. 

Other than being instant, the fees capped at $0.99 per withdrawal reduces the cost of money transfer for kenyan freelancers by more than 50%.

I may get back with more info (reviews) once I withdraw using this method. It is only available in Kenya. 

Are you a freelancer from kenya? What is your view about this new withdrawal method?

Adios 

17 of 266

Hi Brian,

We are excited as well that we are able to provide a more convenient and fast payment method for freelancers in Kenya now. You can find out more about these changes from Lena's original post on this thread.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Alison K Member Since: Feb 25, 2017
18 of 266

Hi Brian,

Have you tried withdrawing via Mpesa? I withdrew some cash on Wednesday but I'm yet to receive it.

Kindly get back to me.

Thanks,

Grace.

19 of 266

Hi Allison,

Please, refer to the notification the team sent to you earlier about failed withdrawal. Make sure the information you enter for your M-Pesa account is valid.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Brian A Member Since: Jul 5, 2010
20 of 266

Hi Alison,

I haven't used this method yet. What happened to your withdrawal? Did you get the money and after how long?