cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates to Payment Methods for non-US based freelancers

Ace Contributor
Andy G Member Since: Apr 2, 2015
91 of 266

Please can you tell me what the base rate is?  Of course the exchange rate will vary hourly or daily but there must be some form of base rate tracker your 'bank' uses that will allow us to determine what the cost will be without initialting a get paid now request?

Some days it may be cheaper to use Paypal and pay the $2 rather than be sucked in by the $0.99.  While the 99c option maybe good for some customers it wouldn't have been initiated without an understanding that Upwork would be making more money.

Why let Paypal recoup cash from overseas transactions when you can do it yourself, right? Smiley Wink

Could you tell us which bank it is so that we are able to keep an eye on the daily rate?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
92 of 266

Hi Andy,

Please check the information Lena provided and note that you can use the last exchange rate information as a reference.

Volodymyr C Member Since: Jun 7, 2016
93 of 266

Each update from Upwork is worse than previous one Smiley Sad

I used Skrill to my VISA USD card in Ukraine without problems.

Fast, low comission (under 5$), and I can get cash in USD, not UAH.

So, skrill will be removed. But OK, because Skrill raised up fee up to 7.5% in last days. Too much.

I looked to other payment methods. All is very bad.

Paypal - simply not available in Ukraine.

Wire Transfer - OK, but 30$ fee, and that payment is not available for private person. Only for private enterpreneur or company. Ok, I am private enterpreneur, but I can't receive USD, because 75% USD will be automatically converted to UAH by local bank (country laws), other 25% I can save on my local USD account, but can't withdraw it into USD cash later, only UAH. Such method completely doesn't fit for small amount money (under 1000$, too much efforts, too much fees)

Payoneer. Fee is 2.5% in ATM. That is acceptable. But.. I can't withdraw money in USD. Only UAH. Exchange rate will be much lower than in local banks.. So, total fee will be high.

Direct to Local Bank would be acceptable payment method, but again.. It's not available in Ukraine. Why ? When you introduce it in Ukraine ?

Ace Contributor
Igor Y Member Since: Jan 13, 2016
94 of 266

> #3 - Removing Skrill as a payment option on Upwork.

Well, thank you for this **Edited for Community Guidelines** decision. Whatever your opinion of Skrill is, it was and still is the best way for me personally to receive funds, since paypal is **bleep** in Ukraine, US bank for a Ukrainian is definitely helpful (sarcasm in case you didn't figure it), wire transfer with 30$ fee per withdrawal is so much better than Skrill price wise, oh yeah (another sarcasm), and Payoneer is also more expensive than Skrill. I don't know what you did during your "thorough review" but you've reached a very dumb decision. This, along with your ridiculous fees makes me even more turned off about using your platform. Good job, keep on improving this way (yet another sarcasm), because in reality, all you've been doing for over the year or two is degrading this platform

Aleksandr N Member Since: Oct 19, 2016
95 of 266

I live in Armenia and Paypal does not offer "Receive money" service to Armenia citizens.

Upwork fee for Wire transfer to local Armenia bank is USD30.

Currently Skrill is the only option with reasonable, USD1, Upwork fee. "Skrill to card" transfer fee is around USD4 and time to get funds received on my Visa card, which linked to my local bank account, is 5 working days.

You better guys first to have completed "thorough review" of Paypal services offered in each country before cutting available Upwork payment options.

After all it is up to individual freelancer to choose payment option, most efficient for him, and switch from bad service provider to better one.

Thank you, Upwork, for making my life harder !

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
96 of 266

Hi Aleksandr,

You can check out other payment methods available in your country. If PayPal or wire transfer don't quite work, you can check Payoneer out. It has a lot of the same features as Skrill as Vladimir described in one of his posts on this thread. We'll continue working on adding other reliable and affordable payment methods in more countries.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Patrick S Member Since: May 9, 2016
97 of 266

Valeria you mean a company with a turnover of 331 million USD (2014) is not reliable?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
98 of 266

Patrick,

As we already stated, the quality of support Skrill provides and some of their recent decisions have caused a lot of confusion among the customers. We've already mentioned their sudden decision to discontinue their debit card service for certain countries. The Community discussed it on this thread. Overall, Skrill doesn't meet the standards we require of our payment partners.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Patrick S Member Since: May 9, 2016
99 of 266

So just because "three" people there couldn't use their skrill card, you removed that payment gateway ?

Skrill had announced in November 2016 itself that they are going to stop the Mastercard service frm Nov 25 onwards for non SEPA countries, so why are these people there trying to use it?

You can even transfer the money to your bank account, which is what Paypal does. So you should remove Paypal as a payment gateway as well?

Here is the email which was sent to all the Skrill account holders.

Dear Customer

We regret to inform you that as of 25 November 2016, we will no longer offer the Skrill Prepaid Mastercard in your country. You will not be able to use your card but your Skrill Account remains fully functional and your balance is unaffected. You can withdraw funds from your Skrill Account to your bank account or send money to any other Skrill user or online business accepting Skrill.

If you have any questions, please visit our website and FAQ page.

Regards
The Skrill Team

Olga Patricia U Member Since: Jul 13, 2015
100 of 266

Hello,

I'm one of those "three" people that wasn't able to use their Skrill cards. In my case, Skrill cancelled my debit card without any notice on November 15. They never sent me any email announcing the cancellation of my card. That's why I sent some money from Upwork to Skrill the night before and when I went to an ATM my card was already cancelled. I wasn't able to pay a couple of bills and had to pay penalties because of their arbitrary decision. Skrill only supports wire transfers in Euros right now and my bank charges 45 EUR for this transaction. In the end, I had to use an exchanger to get my money.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS